Rear view monitor picture quality

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by soberups, Nov 25, 2018.

1. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

56AAF6D4-63EA-4340-9F80-B92E5E135F1B.jpeg If you have one of the new package cars with a color rear view monitor, you have probably noticed the weird picture quality at night, with red ghost images in the corners of the screen.
    This is caused by a design flaw.
    Above the door of the new cars is a brush that is supposed to keep out the dust.
    It is attached to the car with a bright, unpainted aluminum strip that is directly below the camera lens.
    This strip reflects any available light, including the red top marker lights, back up into the camera lens which causes the ghost images.
    I fixed this problem by putting black electrical tape over the strip. It made a huge improvement in the picture quality.
    After peak is over I will ask the mechanic to paint it flat black or brown, but in the meanwhile the tape works just as well.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Beer x 1
    • List
  2. Maple Grove MN Driver

Maple Grove MN Driver Cocaine Mang!

Wow you really care way too much about your job
    Write it up and let the mechanics deal with it.

At least this post wasn't about ORION.

3. The Driver

The Driver I drive.

You could argue that the glare and poor picture quality is a safety hazard. Don't you have an 8 ball to buy?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Redtag

Redtag Part on order

Good catch. When I get a chance I will check my newer trucks for that strip and if they have it paint it brown.
    This time of year I doubt any mechanic would have spent the time to figure out it was a reflection causing his issue. I would see if that camera operates and if it does good we are done.

“ not a safety concern, schedule for later repair, ok to drive” and I would move on to the safety and or road call concerns.

I treat a completely failed backup camera as a safety concern as a CYA thing but technically it’s not a FED item and the truck can operate without it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  5. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

You will be suspended for tampering with company equipment. Goodbye.

6. soberups

There is a very specific list of things I can be suspended or terminated for in the Western Conference.
    Putting tape on a piece of aluminum is not one of them.

7. soberups

Wow you really care way too much about what other people post on Brown Cafe.

At least this post wasn’t your usual sniveling and whining about my criticisms of ORION.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Analbumcover

Analbumcover ControlPkgs

A design flaw?!? At UPS?!? No!

9. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Why are you talking to me? Your not even an employee anymore.

10. Brown Biscuit

Brown Biscuit Blind every day

Well by the looks of it your PC has never been washed so should hold up all of peak.

11. Maple Grove MN Driver

I hope so

12. Maple Grove MN Driver

Tampering with UPS equipment is in violation of UPS procedures.
    @soberups should be fired.

13. soberups

Wow.
    I post a quick and easy 30-second tip to improve the performance of a piece of safety equipment and you have nothing better to do than to pile on the hate.
    Did someone piss in your coffee this morning?
    I am sorry for whatever happened to you that made you such a mean and bitter person.
    I hope life gets better for you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  14. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

A piece of tape wouldn’t get you fired here. Plus there is no intent to fraud the system.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  15. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

He's just pissed his last 8 ball had more cut in it then actual cocaine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  16. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

What's the thing above the camera? Is that a light?

17. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

Yes

18. soberups

The new cars have a rear overhead light that you can turn on. Very handy if you are hooking up a pup trailer in the dark.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. rod

rod retired and happy

[QUOTE="Redtag, post: 3838981, member: 70933

I treat a completely failed backup camera as a safety concern as a CYA thing but technically it’s not a FED item and the truck can operate without it.[/QUOTE]

I never had a truck with a back up camera. We used common sense when backing. Have I told you lately how tough we had it?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

[/QUOTE]

They didn't even have those cameras when you were driving. They are useful but not required.