Reference: A history of Enhancements

beentheredonethat

To add to what BrownIEman indicated, there are a lot of newer mgmt that have decided UPS is not for them and have left. There are others, who realize that UPS is cutting our benefits and pay. So many like myself are cutting the hours we work to be "Industry average". I'm fine with it, more time at home with family. I'll admit, I really can't leave without losing a lot (pension, vacation time) with me having over 25 years in and in theory only 8 to go. So, I'm at the point of being trapped, but I'm doing something about it, by reducing my work load.

upsoldtimer

oldtimer, you bring up one of the better and more apt of Casey's sound bites.
It got me to thinking. I wish someone had read that one at a few more meetings of the management committee. You see, the leadership of UPS has been facing steadily worsening cost to serve and competition conditions since around the mid 90's. That has been off set to a great degree by the sea change in the retail industry. For all these years these men (and women, to update Casey's quote) have faced these conditions, and have allowed themselves to become the victims of them. The only effective "actions" they have taken are to reduce the compensation of the partners who report to them. They have thus shown themselves to not be very "determined".

Many of us are greatly disapointed by this. THAT, is in a nutshell what this thread is about.

Ok. So if that's how you see this thread then the old country tune I quoted earlier applies. As for how the company has done over the years, I suppose I still look at the "glass half full".....Did company leadership make all the right decisions? No. Are they GOD and therefore all knowing? No. Have "enhancements" been made to reduce costs? Yes. But I see it as looking out for the greater good and that is to STAY IN BUSINESS and thereby keep 400,000 + people employed worldwide. This will be my last post on this forum. You can commiserate amongst yourselves baby.........

brownIEman

Ok. So if that's how you see this thread then the old country tune I quoted earlier applies. As for how the company has done over the years, I suppose I still look at the "glass half full".....Did company leadership make all the right decisions? No. Are they GOD and therefore all knowing? No. Have "enhancements" been made to reduce costs? Yes. But I see it as looking out for the greater good and that is to STAY IN BUSINESS and thereby keep 400,000 + people employed worldwide. This will be my last post on this forum. You can commiserate amongst yourselves baby.........

Again you are missing the point, and making mine. Have they done the right thing to stay in business? For now, yes. But they are not looking at the long run. The costs savings they have made, and continue to make, are the smaller of the companies costs. In the long run, there is not enough savings in those areas to remain sustainable. In '97 UPS boasted that we had about 80% of the US domestic small package market. Today, estimates are around 50%. That's roughly 2% market share lost per year. We have grown, because of the sea change in retail I mentioned, that market has exploded. But no matter how big that market gets, when our share hits 0, it is the same number. Then what happens to those 400,000 people?

Clock is ticking, we have 25 years. I get that you are not looking that far down the road. You are in good company, neither is the board or management committee. Casey also said "our horizon is as distant as our mind's eye wishes it to be"... guess the minds eyes have gotten short sighted from what they once were.

frateshkr

True but the difference is our country's founders did something about it.....in other words they took action.....they didn't just sit around and commiserate baby....as the founder of UPS once said...."Determined men make conditions, they don't allow themselves to become victims of them."

The founder said many other things also. Many that had to do with fairness and reward for a job well done. I think Casey thought the best motivator for that frame of mind was the possibility of sharing in the rewards reaped by the hard work.

Sorry oldtimer but there seems to be a disconnect with that theory today. So let's just leave the founders out of it here on out.

I, along with all other mgmt folks were "enhanced" with no raise in 2008. Loved that!!! And for the newer mgmt folks, they will never have their (former) 1/2 month truly factored into their salary.

I, along with all other mgmt folks were "enhanced" with no raise in 2008. Loved that!!! And for the newer mgmt folks, they will never have their (former) 1/2 month truly factored into their salary.

I can't wait till the pension buyout happens and we will all be on the portable pension plan. That enhancement will feel great when it happens.

Yankfan

I can't wait till the pension buyout happens and we will all be on the portable pension plan. That enhancement will feel great when it happens.
The bad news is that we will get SCREWED on that deal. The good news is that the handcuffs will be broken - no incentive to stay. We will be free - Goodbye UPS!!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The bad news is that we will get SCREWED on that deal. The good news is that the handcuffs will be broken - no incentive to stay. We will be free - Goodbye UPS!!!!

Oddly enough, the decision makers at the top actually want that.

When all that intellectual capital wanders out the door, they'll just blame all the problems on the District Managers and Level 20's who will then blame the Staff Managers and Managers.

It seems like there should be a thread that can be referenced that tracks all the "enhancements" made to UPS management benefits over the years.

1989 circa - Previously, Healthcare was "free" to employee and no co-pays.
1992 circa - Previously all management retirees with 10 years of service received free retirement healthcare until Medicare kicked in. Now it is based on years of service with years prior to 1993 getting 3 times as much credit.
You use those natural male enhancement drugs. Good for you. It's got to be tough to admit that on here.

Yankfan

When all that intellectual capital wanders out the door, they'll just blame all the problems on the District Managers and Level 20's who will then blame the Staff Managers and Managers.

Well at least we know our goals and those of the company are properly aligned in this circumstance.

I store things away in memory for later use Gumby-boy!
I'm getting a pretty deep file on you ... your time will come.
​Just as 407 does.

Just remember..Gumby goes commando in that outfit.............just giving you something to think about...........................bet that costume is real.hot.now!........lmao

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Who will then blame Supervisors and finally hourly employees.

D*mn, I'm glad I'm outa there.:surprised: