REFORM PLAN FOR Central States Pension Plan

To those UPS retires before 2007
I was a package driver for 30 years and helped build the company to what it is now. They promised me a full pension for all those years. They are still in business making billions while we are hung out to dry. After the finale word is decided, I am in favor of a class action suit to make up the difference of our loss. Any discussion or thoughts?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To those UPS retires before 2007
I was a package driver for 30 years and helped build the company to what it is now. They promised me a full pension for all those years. They are still in business making billions while we are hung out to dry. After the finale word is decided, I am in favor of a class action suit to make up the difference of our loss. Any discussion or thoughts?

Please show us in writing where you were promised x amount of dollars per month.

I'll wait.

Ms.PacMan

That may well be, I really don't know. I retired well before that. See post #16.

Was the reason it was voted down a pension issue? I'd love to know.
No this contract stalled on healthcare. We just got out of a multi-employer pension and were thrown into a multi- employer health fund. Louisville had a lot of issues, not just healthcare.

The pension buyout was last contract. When UPS bought us out of CS in 2008 we were led to believe (and maybe the Teamsters did believe) that the 6.4 billion dollar buy out would go a long way to shore up the CS pension. We even had a driver retire under the old pension (without waiting to work the one day in the new pension) because he believed CS would be fine.

No one forgot about retirees. Based on the info at the time, everything seemed like a win-win.

Last edited:

WhatsUP

Has UPS corporate made any comments about how these pension cuts will impact their Employees left in the old Central States Plan. Most people think UPS took care of all of their Employees. The ones in the old plan took a % 50 cut if they retired before Normal
retirement age.

Sportello

Previous contracts are superseded by current contract.
Current employees should keep this in mind, as well as the fact that laws change. What happened to the CSPF would not be possible without The Kline-Miller Multiemployer Pension Reform Act of 2014, which was passed as part of the FY2015 Omnibus bill.

UPSmechanicinblue

I feel a new forum or thread should be created for people to contact, rallies , web sites,etc anything that is going on around the U.S that has to do with the CSPF. Keep all jokes and politics prohibited from it. Some of us could take info to work, union halls, friends, families etc. Unless someone has a better idea we should act now on it. Thanks

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Has UPS corporate made any comments about how these pension cuts will impact their Employees left in the old Central States Plan. Most people think UPS took care of all of their Employees. The ones in the old plan took a % 50 cut if they retired before Normal
retirement age.
UPS did take care of the employees.
They paid into the Pension Fund the amounts dictated in all the contracts.
It is beyond my abilities to understand how people think UPS has an obligation beyond this.

If one is under the UPS Pension Plan then, yes UPS does have an obligation.

But it is OK to hope.
I hope UPS does too!

Sportello

UPS did take care of the employees.
They paid into the Pension Fund the amounts dictated in all the contracts.
It is beyond my abilities to understand how people think UPS has an obligation beyond this.

If one is under the UPS Pension Plan then, yes UPS does have an obligation.

But it is OK to hope.
I hope UPS does too!
This is true. UPS is under no legal obligation to do any more than it has. They paid CSPF, and all the various pension funds, exactly was was negotiated. It is out of their hands.

From a moral standpoint, the funded UPS Teamster plans should chip in before UPS.

How about a 'Go Fund Me'? :P

I would suggest all interested parties contact their congress critters, and demand that a new law be passed, or that Kline-Miller is amended (if even possible). It would be interesting to see who actually drafted the K-M Act. I can assume it was lobbyists, just curious whose lobbyists? Crappy how it was tacked on to a 'must pass' bill.

Write letters and make phone calls, that is your only power at this point.

I wish I could afford a congress critter.

CMSgt Brown

I live in Georgia and retired in 2006 with 35 years. I saw this company grow by adding states and services (air). I remember when Louisiana and Texas came on line. I remember World of Beauty, shipper #626181; I remember Avon, shipper #320000; I remember missing a lot of Christmas parties and events with my family because I was working 12-13 hour days during peak season believing that when I reached 35 years and retired I would have a pension of $3500 per month. So yes, I do believe UPS should step up and do the moral thing and take care of the people who helped build this company into what it is today. The management made millions off our backs when the stock went public. So yes UPS, step up!

WhatsUP

Yes I agree. I retired in Texas in 2005. I remember when UPS just had ground service in the USA . Now they are a World Wide delivery company.