refuse to sign?

T

trickpony1

"They work long enough hours as it is".

They are THERE long enough hours. They don't necessarily WORK all those hours. Some leave during the day for important things like haircuts, personal errands or to go show a property (one has a real estate license).

To assume that they work the entire time they are there is inaccurate.

A

air_upser

While I don't condone "surfing" the web at work, there is a slight difference between management and hourly employees which is management days don't end at 5pm. OK, maybe management hours are different across disciplines, but for my area (IT), I could be called at any time day or night, and also work weekends and holidays. As they say, there is always a UPS plane in the air somewhere in the world. That being said, I see no problem with browsing CNN.com a couple of minutes during the day....especially when I'm eating my lunch at my desk. Now when we talk about stuff like espn.com, I think it should be blocked, but that's a decision that was made way above my head!
Trickpony- Is there an occasional two hour lunch? Sure. But I also get paged at 2am. I think that's a fair trade off. Do you disagree?

M

my2cents

Again, Internet use at companies is nothing unusual. Heck, my brother-in-law, who is a successful salesman and has a whole wall full of top salesman awards to prove it, routinely, *gasp* uses company computers to check the news, sports scores, stock prices, etc. I also recall reading a newspaper article some time ago about people who use company computers to do their Christmas shopping. They do it this way because they simply don't have the time to go to the mall. This is the age of information, not 1950.

O

ok2bclever

It may not be 1950, nor 1984, but it will still get you fired as an hourly violating company internet policy doing such as personal shopping.

While UPS is virtually an island unto itself in regards to orwellian company policy there are plenty of other companies that discipline and terminate for employees "surfing the web" on company time despite company policy.

O

over9five

Is it OK for management personnel to use company computers for personal use AFTER writing letters of concern for drivers who are 10 minutes paid over?

S

susiedriver

Apparently it is acceptable either before or after. It is even acceptable while they are checking out that Apple Ct package that popped open accidentally while on the belt.

B

brownmonster

Do we still get the Apple Ct pkgs? Haven't seen some of the regulars get their fix on my route in the longest time.

U

upsdude

I dont really care what management does all day. My job is to take out a package car and deliver the contents. That task usually keeps me too busy to worry about what the suits are doing back at the center.

T

tarside

I was asked today to sign a paper stating that I would run my route in trace to the highest degree possible and to demonstate a certain number on SPORH. I didn't sign that one either!
The ctr, mgt. asked why not, after all it was my input that set up the route, I should be able to run the way I set it up. When I said that the PAS team did a horrible job of inputing the info and had gotten all wrong, he pretty much acussed me of sabotaging the efforts. So we had to print out my delivery dispatch and then I showed all the stops I drive past and comeback to and all the hopscotching around, instead of an orderly,consistent route. He was shocked.
Never sign anything.

O

over9five

"I dont really care what management does all day."

We're a public company now. What management does all day is very visible. We all should care about what they're doing all day.

T

tieguy

"So we had to print out my delivery dispatch and then I showed all the stops I drive past and comeback to and all the hopscotching around, instead of an orderly,consistent route. He was shocked."

Sounds like the guy was finally willing to listen to what you had to say. You might be able to turn him into a decent manager just yet.

T

tieguy

I agree a management person who surfs the internet all day is not doing us any good. There are some approved uses. Reading news, weather , traffic info. I use online mapping tools for some things. I also browse the internet during my alleged lunch break. I rarely feel I have time to step away and take a formal lunch so lunch often means ordering in or brown bagging it while I skim the internet at my desk.

U

upsdude

We're a public company now. What management does all day is very visible. We all should care about what they're doing all day

Anyone really concerned about a lack of productivity from management has an avenue of recourse. Sit down, type a letter of intent, get promoted then lead by example.

Life has taught me that work is much easier if I focus 100% on my job and not worry about what those around me should be doing.

Management may sit around all day, surf the net, play checkers or drag out the magic dartboard and decide whom they are going to get today. I dont care. Sitting in a no window building all day with a rope around my neck just isnt appealing to me.

S

susiedriver

"Anyone really concerned about a lack of productivity from management has an avenue of recourse. Sit down, type a letter of intent, get promoted then lead by example."

There is a hiring freeze for management. Secondly, shouldn't present day management be leading by example?

P

proups

I agree with upsdude: if you think management is unproductive, then get promoted and make a difference.

If you don't want to do this, then I think you follow teddyr's signature line:
SHUT UP AND WORK!

S

speeddemon

Now thier is an ignorant statement of the month. And No, I dont have time to elaborate.