Refusing to work

UpsBro

Is refusing to work as directed still a fireable offense? 2 people at my hub have done it they didn't get fired nor written up? Then my supervisor said it's not a fireable offense just w9ndering if it still is.

rod

Retired 22 years
Once again it all depends on how much they like you. Everything at UPS depends on that. One guy can pull stops out of his truck and leave them on the belt and its the end of the world. Another (brownnoser) can do the same thing and all they do is find another home for it. I saw it happen dozens of times.

UpsBro

I'm on the twilight shift my buddy was told to go to another belt and he refused to go cause he didn't feel like going cause he felt like he shouldn't have to go. The other time this happened he came to our belt and refused to work because he felt "sick"

35years

Gravy route
Once again it all depends on how much they like you. Everything at UPS depends on that. One guy can pull stops out of his truck and leave them on the belt and its the end of the world. Another (brownnoser) can do the same thing and all they do is find another home for it. I saw it happen dozens of times.
Not any more.
The OP is a part timer.
Rod, you would not recognize the place now.
They can't keep the part timers more than a week.
They offer them a $200 bonus per week that they stay (seriously).
They give them pizza one night, wings the next.
UPS is happy if they show up 4 nights a week, and they work like Mrs Wiggins
They work when they want, as slow as they want.

LeadBelly

Banned
Work as directed ( unless it's unsafe) and grieve later, if it's a violation of the contract. Other than that , if you go all cowboy or cowgirl then your ba will have to try and get you back.

Not any more.
The OP is a part timer.
And don't forget checking their smartphones every 10 minutes. And managers used to tell me I was stealing time by taking a drink of water. Twilight sort manager Friday was telling me everyone they hired in May has already quit because of the heat. Temps next week are projected to be in the upper 90's.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Is refusing to work as directed still a fireable offense? 2 people at my hub have done it they didn't get fired nor written up? Then my supervisor said it's not a fireable offense just w9ndering if it still is.
If your safety is at risk, you can refuse under OSHA. Otherwise, work.

discipline isn't an automated thing

if you have lazy sups who don't want to enforce discipline, well there it is
We all know PT sups aren't allowed to do anything so you must be talking about FT sups or managers. Of course they know if they try to enforce discipline they (the manager) will be working the unload. I saw it happen last Friday on Twi.

that's not why they avoid it, in a lot of cases a sup would rather do the manual work than the mental effort of being a real sup
Obviously you are not talking about an experienced FT sup. At my building management would just instruct a PT sup to work while a high seniority hourly watches. They call it training.

rod

Retired 22 years
Not any more.
The OP is a part timer.

Gee----that sounds like fun. I guess that's what is deserved after giving everyone a participation trophy and making it a crime for you or teachers to lay a hand on your kid if they are out of control.

Gee----that sounds like fun. I guess that's what is deserved after giving everyone a participation trophy and making it a crime for you or teachers to lay a hand on your kid if they are out of control.
Or wanting to pay paper boy delivery wages for a Union job. I respect the young guys for not accepting slave wages for a Union job. Working right next to a guy earning $30 or $35/hr doing the same job.

rod

Retired 22 years
Or wanting to pay paper boy delivery wages for a Union job. I respect the young guys for not accepting slave wages for a Union job. Working right next to a guy earning $30 or $35/hr doing the same job.

I can certainly understand that. Maybe some day PT will get their act together and actually ban together and vote to better their situation---------but I doubt it.