Regretting management

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Re: Regreting management

My opinion on your post:
Opportunity - yes it was growing fast, who do you think made it grow osmosis, it was the management, made changes from retail to common carrier was a big one, 1DA, International just to name a few. As far as promotions yes there were some shotgun promotions, but in the end only the strong survived
Competition - yes and the USPS had a real bad reputation years ago
Quotas - I think that has been changing
Pay - I did payroll and if you actually think that hourly people make more money than management you are kidding yourself, fact - my pension check per month is more than what drivers make per month, benefits could always be better, wait to see what happens at the next contract to the hourly benefits.
MIP - This is a management get rich plan if the person manages it correctly, do you even know what is involved in that plan, as far as RSU's that handled properly is a form of forced savings, i will be still getting stock checks for 5 years retired.
Conclusion - Yes competition is much stronger and that should help to make us better, as far as job more difficult, you are kidding yourself, ever sheet 400 del pieces a day on paper in the rain, you now have EDD and GPS, we had a map and dig to make sure you didn't miss a piece, you have automatic package cars with power steering, we had manual shifts with no power steering. As far as management getting rich the opportunity is there it all depends on how a person manages their money.....

I know your pension is decent. Sups and mangers of this era have a weak plan. I meant the management job is more difficult. Yes, I know about MIP and RSUs. Todays new sups do not receive the same compensation of those from earlier days. I'm not knocking what you ( or anyone) did, just saying it's a more difficult and less attractive job now.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
i dont understand the anger here,, ? if you people have been at ups for ANY length of time you get the bigger picture,, you understand the forced priority of operations,, direct your anger elsewhere

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Actually, I believe that the company began serving the entire U.S. (stablishing the "golden link") more than 30 years ago...and that - outside of air, and aspects of international - the massive spurt of company growth was pretty much over 20 years ago. For example: by then (20 years ago) the company had already been in Canada for 15 years, and Germany close to that length of time.

As for "no other competition", just where do you think FedEx was 20 years ago? Heck, I heard a Teamster official brag more than THIRTY years ago that FedEx would be organized "within a matter of months". Needless to say, they're as far away from being organized by the Teamsters now as they were (more than) thirty years ago.

Anyway, I'd take exception concerning the opportunities available now are that much less compared with twenty years ago. Thirty or thirty-five years ago? Probably. 10 years ago (following the bail-out which was a result of the IPO)...sure. But twenty? Nope.

1975 (goldenlink) began service to all 48 states. The company continued to grow rapidly for another 20 years. How can you say opportunity is better now? They just downsized, eliminated, and terminated lots of management positions. Where is the upward mobility?

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Did you schmucks run the OP off?
Let's see: P/T Driver to friend/T Supervisor.
That's quite a climb!!!! Sounds like some sort of job rotations or, more than likely a troll.
Msaybe some Fedex Ground Owner:funny:

UPSSOCKS

Did you schmucks run the OP off?
Let's see: P/T Driver to friend/T Supervisor.
That's quite a climb!!!! Sounds like some sort of job rotations or, more than likely a troll.
Msaybe some Fedex Ground Owner:funny:

A part time Driver to a full time supervisor that changed the world. Fixed a whole center by himself... Tell me OP, what center did you work at? I could pulll the info up and see if there is a drastic change in the past 4 years.....

PobreCarlos

FracusBrown;

I'd like you to show me some figures demonstrating just how rapidly the company was growing in the twenty years - a FULL twenty years! - following 1975 ground linkage. Don't remember a quarter where the company REGRESSED, do ya'? Or think that the mid-to-late eighties were a period of rapid growth?

Sorry, but in comparison to the period prior to the overseas expansion - and, outside of air and international, well after that (until the aforementioned IPO buy-out) - I don't recall there being anything percentage-wise like the growth the company experienced in the late 60's thru the seventies and early eighties, particularly in terms of management opportunities. If you recall, in the period of twenty years ago and thereabouts, UPS was already receiving some pretty stiff competition. FedEx was in the express business, FedEx Ground (or it's RPL predecessor - which, by the way, DID offer some "poaching" opportunities to UPS management), and Airborne were all in play. As, for that matter, for those who might have forgotten, were companies like Purolater domestically.

Anyway, perhaps you can demonstrate differently. If you could, I'd sure like to see some figures.

UPSSOCKS

FracusBrown;

I'd like you to show me some figures demonstrating just how rapidly the company was growing in the twenty years - a FULL twenty years! - following 1975 ground linkage. Don't remember a quarter where the company REGRESSED, do ya'? Or think that the mid-to-late eighties were a period of rapid growth?

Sorry, but in comparison to the period prior to the overseas expansion - and, outside of air and international, well after that (until the aforementioned IPO buy-out) - I don't recall there being anything percentage-wise like the growth the company experienced in the late 60's thru the seventies and early eighties, particularly in terms of management opportunities. If you recall, in the period of twenty years ago and thereabouts, UPS was already receiving some pretty stiff competition. FedEx was in the express business, FedEx Ground (or it's RPL predecessor - which, by the way, DID offer some "poaching" opportunities to UPS management), and Airborne were all in play. As, for that matter, for those who might have forgotten, were companies like Purolater domestically.

Anyway, perhaps you can demonstrate differently. If you could, I'd sure like to see some figures.

FracusBrown has figures..... I'm not sure where gets them but he has them. He also knows what everyone in the company make per year, and he knows all the retirement plans insdie and out. You have a question about MIP?? Just ask FracusBrown, he knows everything.... I think FracusBrown helped Casey start this company....

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
FracusBrown;

I think you are missing the point of the thread. I was speaking in terms of management opportunity and level of compensation now as compared to earlier periods within my working lifetime. I have no idea what was going on in the 60s and 70s.

Revenue was about 3 billion in 1975. It grew to somewhere around 15 billion in 1995. The growth from 3 bil to 15 billion was the most revenue growth of any period up until that time. UPS was not even a billion a year company in 1970. During this time (75-95) they lost billions internationally. The size and scope of the company was growing and lots of people were getting promoted. Virtually all management people were promoted from within. The ratio of management to hourly was low.

I'm not sure what there is is to dispute. If you believe the supervisor or manager job is more financially lucrative or is More attractive career today than it was in the past you are out of touch.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
FracusBrown has figures..... I'm not sure where gets them but he has them. He also knows what everyone in the company make per year, and he knows all the retirement plans insdie and out. You have a question about MIP?? Just ask FracusBrown, he knows everything.... I think FracusBrown helped Casey start this company....

Nice attempt at defelction. Do you have some facts or figures to support your view?

PobreCarlos

I think you are missing the point of the thread. I was speaking in terms of management opportunity and level of compensation now as compared to earlier periods within my working lifetime. I have no idea what was going on in the 60s and 70s.

Revenue was about 3 billion in 1975. It grew to somewhere around 15 billion in 1995. The growth from 3 bil to 15 billion was the most revenue growth of any period up until that time. UPS was not even a billion a year company in 1970. During this time (75-95) they lost billions internationally. The size and scope of the company was growing and lots of people were getting promoted. Virtually all management people were promoted from within. The ratio of management to hourly was low.

I'm not sure what there is is to dispute. If you believe the supervisor or manager job is more financially lucrative or is More attractive career today than it was in the past you are out of touch.

Tell me about "lucrative"...when I went into mgmt (circa '74) my MONTHLY salary was $1150. As for MIP, a couple of years into the process (still as a one unit) I received $200 net...and had to make a round trip on a SUNDAY in a snowstorm ("blizzard peak) to receive it (would gladly have PAID that much just to have a day off!)

Next, since you specifically stated TWENTY years, might I remind you that "1975" is considerably MORE than 20 years ago....close to twice that figure, in fact. And, as one who participated in the international expansion pretty much from the get-go, I think I can categorically state that, by 1995, UPS wasn't losing "billions" in it. And I can also categorically state that very, very few mgmt opportunities (relatively speaking) were opened-up by that expansion...mostly because so few UPS managers had foreign language skills (Germany, for example, probably involved no more than 50-100 Americans at any one time "in country" during the whole period of its development)

Granted, the late 70's were still a relatively high growth period. But the eighties and nineties - particularly when throwing out your somewhat belated qualification of your "working lifetime", didn't begin to compare with that period. Or, more particularly, the sixties and early seventies (it seems that there is a company history outside of your lifetime) when a guy could go from being hired-in as a driver (no preloaders, etc. at the time) with a high school education, to a customer service rep., to a center manager (not that many center supervisors as well) to a division manager all within the space of a couple of years.

Granted, those that participated in the MIP prior to the IPO did quite well in the end. But that was sometimes rather hard to predict prior to the fact. Morever, in terms of straight salary - even relative to inflation - my guess is that it's as high now as it has been at any time in the company's history. As for the MIP, that's remains hard to predict? Who knows what the future will bring? All I can say is that, at times, it look pretty bleak "back when" as well.

I might be "out of touch"...but I think I at least can claim to HAVE "touched" the eras in question, and have some personal knowledge of them. Granted, the grass tends to look greener in retrospect (20 years ago, and 20 years before that, I heard essentially the same arguments as you're presenting today!), but I believe a lot of that is misperception.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Probre,

Nothing personal, but I still don't understand your point.

Do you believe the supervisor or manager job is more financially lucrative or is a more attractive career today than it was in the past?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
34 years and you're still working. What's up with that?

37 years here and still working.
What's up with that?
I get satisfaction and self-fulfillment from the job.
I don't understand why people think everyone should leave just because they are eligible.
If you hate your job ... sure. Otherwise why rush off?

PS: How the bike?

trickpony1

37 years here and still working.
What's up with that?
I get satisfaction and self-fulfillment from the job.
I don't understand why people think everyone should leave just because they are eligible.
If you hate your job ... sure. Otherwise why rush off?

PS: How the bike?

TRANSLATION:
Hoax is up to his ears in debt and can't afford to leave.