Religious Holidays

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
As part of my religion I have to travel to attend in the observance of one of our holy days. Its a week long where we gather called the Festival of Sukkot or feast of tabernacles. Now I am Jewish, will this be excused and covered via Title VII the 1964 Civil Rights Act? I even read an article where some years back a UPS employee was I believe fired for religious practices and then sued and he won. I'm not expected paid time off, but will I be able to get off at all?

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
Check your state laws. I'm pretty sure UPS will accommodate a day if you request it but I'm not sure about 1 full week.

Box Ox

"Religious discrimination by employers can have legal consequences. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and many state constitutions require employers to accommodate an employee’s religious beliefs. Generally, an employer is required to make reasonable accommodations for an employee to observe their religious practices.

The most common accommodation is granting an employee time off to observe a religious holiday. Depending on the situation, employees may or may not be paid for taking time off from work to observe a religious holiday. There are also some situations where an employer can refuse an employee’s request for time off.

Can Employers Refuse an Employee's Request to Observe a Religious Holiday?

In order to legally refuse an employee's request, an employer must show that they could not reasonably accommodate the employee without causing “undue hardship” to the business. Proving undue hardship requires an employer to show that the request would impose more than a minimal burden on operation of the business. This can be found if the request:

• Is costly;
  • Threatens workplace safety;
  • Decreases efficiency;
  • Violates the rights of other employees; and/or
  • Places a greater burden on other employees.
Any other criteria relevant to the individual situation may be considered as well."

Employee Religious Holidays | LegalMatch Law Library

Daf

You can likely get the time off if you go through the proper channels and explain it thoroughly. But don’t take the time off and not go to where you say you are going, they may fire for dishonesty.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
As part of my religion I have to travel to attend in the observance of one of our holy days. Its a week long where we gather called the Festival of Sukkot or feast of tabernacles. Now I am Jewish, will this be excused and covered via Title VII the 1964 Civil Rights Act? I even read an article where some years back a UPS employee was I believe fired for religious practices and then sued and he won. I'm not expected paid time off, but will I be able to get off at all?

With all due respect to your religion (and a number of friends of the faith)

I have never heard of this.

Sukkot - Wikipedia

A brief read.... leads me to believe it was an ancient tradition in Israel.

And only on one day, were you forbidden to work.

Ask for the time (unpaid) to be off.

Contact HR if need be.

But don’t take the time off and not go to where you say you are going, they may fire for dishonesty.

Words of wisdom.

-Bug-

F

Frankie's Friend

"Generally, an employer is required to make reasonable accommodations for an employee to observe their religious practices.

The most common accommodation is granting an employee time off to observe a religious holiday. Depending on the situation, employees may or may not be paid for taking time off from work to observe a religious holiday.
... Proving undue hardship requires an employer to show that the request would impose more than a minimal burden on operation of the business. This can be found if the request:

Decreases efficiency;

Good luck with getting a week off.

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
With all due respect to your religion (and a number of friends of the faith)

I have never heard of this.

Sukkot - Wikipedia

A brief read.... leads me to believe it was an ancient tradition in Israel.

And only on one day, were you forbidden to work.

Ask for the time (unpaid) to be off.

Contact HR if need be.

Words of wisdom.

-Bug-
Deuteronomy 16:13-17
“You shall keep the Feast of Booths for seven days, when you have gathered in the produce from your threshing floor and your wine press. You shall rejoice in your feast, you and your son and your daughter, your male servant and your female servant, the Levite, the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow who are within your towns.

For seven days you shall keep the feast to the Lord your God at the place that the Lord will choose, because the Lord your God will bless you in all your produce and in all the work of your hands, so that you will be altogether joyful."

It is one of the three pilgrimage festivals. Some simply build a Sukkah on their property, some travel and observe in a congregation with ones from around the country. Begins the 15th day of Tishrei and ends the 22nd day.

I understand that but if would be hard to work since me and my family travel to a different state to observe.

www.hebrew4christians.com/Holidays/Fall_Holidays/Sukkot/sukkot.html

Sukkot Holiday Observance – UMass Medical School – Worcester, MA

Last edited:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

I think you may need evidence that your relatives either crossed the Red Sea or were in attendance to the Burning Bush.
Any proof you can give like a ticket stub or wristband should get you the whole week.

“You shall keep the Feast of Booths for seven days, when you have gathered in the produce from your threshing floor and your wine press. You shall rejoice in your feast, you and your son and your daughter, your male servant and your female servant, the Levite, the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow who are within your towns.

For seven days you shall keep the feast to the Lord your God at the place that the Lord will choose, because the Lord your God will bless you in all your produce and in all the work of your hands, so that you will be altogether joyful."

It is one of the three pilgrimage festivals. Some simply build a Sukkah on their property, some travel and observe in a congregation with ones from around the country. Begins the 15th day of Tishrei and ends the 22nd day.

I understand that but if would be hard to work since me and my family travel to a different state to observe.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

My family used to observe the Feast of Tabernacles when I was young. And no, we weren’t Jewish.

The holiday you speak of prohibits work on the first two days and the last two days. Outside of Israel, it is a eight day holiday. If worried about your job stay in town and observe there.