Remote

R1wonder

I think it comes down to differentiating between a blouse from Kohls and a UPS Premier medical package. There is a difference between stuff you deliver where the cust doesn't even remember what they ordered much less what day it’s supposed to arrive vs medicine you need to start taking by tomorrow…
Yea but no matter what : it’s not our decision on what is more important. Sure , medicine may seem important but maybe the customer has medicine and that’s next weeks dose . And that blouse is something the customer needs for their wedding rehearsal dinner. We don’t know what’s important. And if people are expecting stuff and it’s sitting Around waiting for their streets turn that’s bad service . But hey, I work as directed so that’s their call

AKCoverMan

If you’re “not getting it all done “ then it sounds like you need to file grievances 🤷‍♂️
Not much you can file on during peak. No 9.5….

Rest of year I do file but when it’s getting close to 2130 I look for obvious priorities like UPS Critical etc. Anyone who has delivered awhile can tell difference between a small Plastic bag package that obviously contains a clothing item and a healthcare shipment with all the pretty stickers on it. If I gotta choose I’ll deliver the healthcare package and miss the garment.

R1wonder

Not much you can file on during peak. No 9.5….

Rest of year I do file but when it’s getting close to 2130 I look for obvious priorities like UPS Critical etc. Anyone who has delivered awhile can tell difference between a small Plastic bag package that obviously contains a clothing item and a healthcare shipment with all the pretty stickers on it. If I gotta choose I’ll deliver the healthcare package and miss the garment.
Still not our call to choose lol. This idea sounds dumb

AKCoverMan

Still not our call to choose lol.
Who is going to choose? I’m running out of time before I run out of packages. No help is coming. Of course I have to make a call.

There is this thought process that if we are not management we have no decision making capability. But our entire day is made of making operational decision…

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
I remember loading a truck for an old-timer back in the day, that was supposed to remote a minimum of 3 stops a day. He never remoted anything, ORS threatened him with a warning letter. The driver still did not remote any stops. 6 months later the remote program was over.

oldupsman

I remember loading a truck for an old-timer back in the day, that was supposed to remote a minimum of 3 stops a day. He never remoted anything, ORS threatened him with a warning letter. The driver still did not remote any stops. 6 months later the remote program was over.
Exact same thing happened to me. My route was an outer area of Philadelphia. Rural in a sense
compared to the city. But all my customers knew all ground out of New York and D.C. got there
overnight. And now I'm suppose to remote stops just to make their stupid idea work on paper.

Threatened me with warning letters up to and including discharge. "Let me get this straight,
you're going to fire me for DELIVERING packages. Oh the Wall Street Journal will love that story."
They just dropped the whole thing and left me alone. In my 32 years it absolutely had to be the
most boneheaded idea they ever had.

bumped

I get non sure post packages that were held from the day before every day. It seems they happen with packages that come into the center earlier than the scheduled delivery date. Just like technology for the driver isn't to lower the paid day, technology with faster shipping lanes isn't so the customer gets their packages earlier.

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
Exact same thing happened to me. My route was an outer area of Philadelphia. Rural in a sense
compared to the city. But all my customers knew all ground out of New York and D.C. got there
overnight. And now I'm suppose to remote stops just to make their stupid idea work on paper.

Threatened me with warning letters up to and including discharge. "Let me get this straight,
you're going to fire me for DELIVERING packages. Oh the Wall Street Journal will love that story."
They just dropped the whole thing and left me alone. In my 32 years it absolutely had to be the
most boneheaded idea they ever had.
Same thing, the driver I loaded for wanted to get fired for not remoting packages. He told the center manager that he would take the summer discharge, grieve it, go to the local media, get his back pay, and continue to not remote. They never bothered him after that. Brilliant plan. The remote team apparently went on to develop ORION.

Emergency Conditions

Who is going to choose? I’m running out of time before I run out of packages. No help is coming. Of course I have to make a call.

There is this thought process that if we are not management we have no decision making capability. But our entire day is made of making operational decision…
That's how it goes sometimes, just gotta do what you have time for. When I start running out of hours I also prioritize critical packages as well as bulk stops or neighborhoods with high stop density. Managements typical instruction on days like that is to "do what you can" so making the judgement call on what to deliver and what to roll to the next day is working as directed at that point.