Removing the bonus incentive for drivers

irish5569

some routes are set up to make bonus, you can have the original driver running -250 and then throw in the centers worst driver and run -150

satellitedriver

Pas/Edd took away the bonus here.
No need to vote against something that no longer exists,
For 19rs, I averaged 1hr (straight time) bonus, daily, without running and gunning, just smooth, by the book, work methods.
New time study for Pas/Edd. 1hr over every day.( overtime pay) with the same, or better, sporh.
I am paid more now, so that, the company can be more cost efficient and save money.
If that is not an oxymoronic approach, then I am just a dumb truck driver.

screamin chicken

We are still a bonus center I use to get 20 hrs. a week in bonus pay and I would run 130-145 stops a day and be sitting at my house between 2-3 everyday it was nice because I did my job and I was home early enough to do what ever, now on the same route the 4 years I may get 5 mins. of bonus so I work until 7-8 every night to make up for what I have lost but it sucks to have to work the 9-10 hr days when I use to work 5-6 hrs. and get 3-4 hrs. bonus in a day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your story just does not make a whole lot of sense to me. Maybe because it's early or maybe I'm still half asleep but if you were home everyday between 2 and 3 there had to have been a level of service sacrificed along the way. Also, how did your co-workers feel knowing that you were done and gone before most of them began their pickups? And, now that the bonus has been greately reduced, you are "forced" to work until 7 or 8 to make up for the lost income. This just does not make sense to me.

UPSNewbie

Your story just does not make a whole lot of sense to me. Maybe because it's early or maybe I'm still half asleep but if you were home everyday between 2 and 3 there had to have been a level of service sacrificed along the way. Also, how did your co-workers feel knowing that you were done and gone before most of them began their pickups? And, now that the bonus has been greately reduced, you are "forced" to work until 7 or 8 to make up for the lost income. This just does not make sense to me.

He said if he runs his "normal" speed, he'll only get ~5 minutes of bonus, so he works 9-10 hours to make up what "he lost."

To me, that sounds like time theft.

screamin chicken

As I said this was years ago before the whole change with the company , and if anyone is this is theft then it's on them for giving me more work and no bonus. And for my co-workers at the time I was getting off this early they could have stepped up the pace and got there routes done earlier if they wanted to. If I am running 24 stops and hour and they want to do half of what I am doing then thats there problem, they were getting OT and I got Bonus and I had a life getting paid for busting my butt and getting home early.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
As far as i'm concerned, I would be happy if the company did away with bonus across the whole world. I've been here 20 years and made my share of bonus. The problems with it far and away outweigh the benefits. Sure you get what seems like 'atta boy' money, but it's always at the expense of sacrificing service or safety, mostly safety. We still have guys bonusing big time here, but when they cover my route I always hear back about what grouches they are to my good customers, the ones we are trying to keep going so we all have jobs. I've actually had customers cancel their pickup accounts due to cover drivers 'forgetting' to pick their pkgs up, but BOY did it look great on the WOR!! You can only go so fast before you start fouling everything up.
It's also unfortunate that the comparisons between drivers doing similar routes always show up that are S P E E D based and are not an accurate picture of the job being done with proper methods. But with bonus in place the company subsidizes risky driving and yet preaches all the lists and lists of SWM's and driver safety.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
We would be a better company and provide far better service to our customers

If instead of being run as though we were seperate franchises, we had the same rules in all the centers. Just adding to your thought, sobe. That was a really good post, btw.

Hey, I spoke to my mechanic about the 3 point belts. Nothing doing, they won't allow the modification. He said I just need a newer pkg car. PKG car is on order and should arrive at the same time as the parts to fix my old pkg car.

busterb

To get a vote. All you need is a petition stating that you want a vote on wether or not you want to retain the the driver incentive program. You need 50% of the drivers to sign the petition to get a vote. Signing the petition does not count as a vote. We had guys who want to keep the bonus but signed the petition because they support our right to have a voice. Once the petition is done, give it to your business agent (not the company) and your business agent will pick a date and notify the company by letter of the up coming vote date and time. The company does not have the right to see the names on the petition!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Hey, I spoke to my mechanic about the 3 point belts. Nothing doing, they won't allow the modification. He said I just need a newer pkg car. PKG car is on order and should arrive at the same time as the parts to fix my old pkg car.

You might ask your mechanic who "they" are that wont allow it, and then follow up by speaking directly to "them" about the callous stupidity of "their" decision.

Everyone you speak to will simply pass the blame up to the next level of the corporate ladder.

If you are persistent enough, you might someday get to speak to the individual who actually has the authority to make such a decision. As a Safety Committee member, I hope you are willing to keep fighting to take it to the next level until you find the person who is refusing to make this modification so that he can be identified and confronted.

Its nice that they are going to give you a new truck, but all that really means is that the problem is going to be passed off onto someone else. And what UPS giveth they can also taketh away. A substandard vehicle with worthless seatbelts is a danger to every driver in the center to which it is assigned.

You might ask your mechanic who "they" are that wont allow it, and then follow up by speaking directly to "them" about the callous stupidity of "their" decision.

Everyone you speak to will simply pass the blame up to the next level of the corporate ladder.

If you are persistent enough, you might someday get to speak to the individual who actually has the authority to make such a decision. As a Safety Committee member, I hope you are willing to keep fighting to take it to the next level until you find the person who is refusing to make this modification so that he can be identified and confronted.

Its nice that they are going to give you a new truck, but all that really means is that the problem is going to be passed off onto someone else. And what UPS giveth they can also taketh away. A substandard vehicle with worthless seatbelts is a danger to every driver in the center to which it is assigned.

I'm just curious, how many injuries have there been because of not having a 3 point seat belt? I have been in a head on and didn't get a scratch. I have heard of a driver in a head on with a 3 point seat belt and didn't survive. I have seen a dozen people get injured from stepping in a pot hole in the last two years. Mostly from taking short cuts in their walking path. Which is more dangerous?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm just curious, how many injuries have there been because of not having a 3 point seat belt? I have been in a head on and didn't get a scratch. I have heard of a driver in a head on with a 3 point seat belt and didn't survive. I have seen a dozen people get injured from stepping in a pot hole in the last two years. Mostly from taking short cuts in their walking path. Which is more dangerous?

What is more safe, a 3 pt belt or lap belt? According to the auto industry, it's a 3 pt belt. Just because you survived a head on, doesn't mean a lap belt is safer. How fast were you traveling, what were the circumstances? It seems that you're attempting to minimize sobers theme about 3 pt belts. You know, sometimes I just don't get what you're trying to say or do.:dissapointed:

soberups

What is more safe, a 3 pt belt or lap belt? According to the auto industry, it's a 3 pt belt. Just because you survived a head on, doesn't mean a lap belt is safer. How fast were you traveling, what were the circumstances? It seems that you're attempting to minimize sobers theme about 3 pt belts. You know, sometimes I just don't get what you're trying to say or do.:dissapointed:

Anyone who sits in one of the old P-5/P-8/P-10's with manual steering and lap belts can, while buckled with the lap belt, lean their upper body forward and rest their forehead on the windshield and their chin on the steering wheel. It is gruesome to comprehend what your head and face would look like if you did that at high speed.

UPS was aware of this fact when they designed the vehicle, ordered the vehicle, and intentionally deleted a $40 option that would save the drivers life.

I am well aware that I am probably percieved by many as an obsessed fanatic on this issue, and that all I am doing is tilting at windmills. And for the record, the vehicle I have at this moment does in fact have a 3 pt belt, although that could change at any time at the sole discretion of the company.

The reason I harp on it so much is that I resent dishonesty and hypocracy. I can accept the fact that UPS doesnt care about my safety, but not when it expends a ridiculous amoount of time and energy trying to convince me that it does.

The only the worse than doing nothing about a problem...is to do nothing while pretending to do something. Which pretty much sums up the entire safety program at UPS.

I find UPS's safety program...with its committees and commentaries and acronyms...to be eerily reminiscent of when I was in 2nd grade and they were trying to teach us to wash our hands after going potty. We had the same kinds of posters and rhymes and word games to play. It worked well....for a bunch of 2nd graders. But I'm not a 2nd grader any more and I'm beginning to resent being talked to like one. It is demeaning.

Another analogy is that UPS is like the guy who abuses and beats the crap out of his wife for 6 nights a week, and then brings her flowers and tells her he loves her on the night he wants to get laid. The true measure of his feelings is demonstrated by the abuse, not by the empty words and flowers.

If UPS truly wants its people to be safe it will shut up, put its money where its mouth is, and make sure they ALL have safe equipment to drive. A guy who is getting the crap beat out of him by an unsafe, ergonomically deficient vehicle doesnt relly care that "All Good Kids Love Milk."

What I am saying is making a short cut in your walk path is probably more dangerous than a lap belt. Just the simple fact of frequency. Getting injured because of a lap belt almost has the same odds of winning the lottery or getting struck by lighting.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
What I am saying is making a short cut in your walk path is probably more dangerous than a lap belt. Just the simple fact of frequency. Getting injured because of a lap belt almost has the same odds of winning the lottery or getting struck by lighting.

What about getting hit head on? Me thinks you should be playing the lottery.

soberups

We have had 3 head on collisions on my center in the last 8 years. In all 3 instances the other driver was at fault. In all 3 instances, both the UPS vehicle and the private vehicle were totalled.

In once instance, the woman hit our P-700 head on at 55 MPH in an SUV. She died before the EMT's could cut her out. Our driver had a 3 point belt on because the p-500 he normally drove was in the shop that day. He suffered only a fractured ankle and psychological trauma, and was able to return to work a few months later.

In another instance, our driver in a P700 was hit head on at an angle just behind his driver side door by a pickup whose driver had fallen asleep. The pickup was destroyed. The P700 wound up in a ditch on its roof. Our driver, secured by his 3 point belt, suffered no injuries and returned to work the next day. The guy in the truck was in ICU for a week.

In the 3rd instance, the speeds were lower and neither party suffered serious injury....again because our driver was in a P7 with a 3 point belt.

In all 3 instances....a lap belt would have resulted in serious injury or death for our driver.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I asked our BA and he has no idea how to get it put to a vote
Time for a new BA.

Water Boy has one of the options posted.

In ours, the initial vote was at a union meeting. We voted to be able to have a vote yes or no on bonus.

BA contacted the company, set the date and time, those that wanted a say, got to vote, no pressure from the company or the union either way.

Majority said it needed to go.

For the interim and for about a month later, the company put slips of paper in the logs telling you how much bonus you could have made.

As for the three point belts, its not only frontal impacts, its side impacts and roll overs as well. The lap belt lets you move a great deal side to side, the harness limits that movement.

The driver that was pinned under his package car as it burned.........wonder if he had the lap or three point belt, and wonder if it would have made a difference.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have had 3 head on collisions on my center in the last 8 years. In all 3 instances the other driver was at fault. In all 3 instances, both the UPS vehicle and the private vehicle were totalled.

In once instance, the woman hit our P-700 head on at 55 MPH in an SUV. She died before the EMT's could cut her out. Our driver had a 3 point belt on because the p-500 he normally drove was in the shop that day. He suffered only a fractured ankle and psychological trauma, and was able to return to work a few months later.

In another instance, our driver in a P700 was hit head on at an angle just behind his driver side door by a pickup whose driver had fallen asleep. The pickup was destroyed. The P700 wound up in a ditch on its roof. Our driver, secured by his 3 point belt, suffered no injuries and returned to work the next day. The guy in the truck was in ICU for a week.

In the 3rd instance, the speeds were lower and neither party suffered serious injury....again because our driver was in a P7 with a 3 point belt.

In all 3 instances....a lap belt could have resulted in serious injury or death for our driver.

Bad Gas!

We have 2 to 5 drivers who make bonus out of 50 routes....Before EDD it was much more...The bonus drivers skip lunch and some setup early......The new scatch is under an hour over allowed...Mgt still preaches that allowances are about right...How can 95% of drivers be assummed to be slackers..You used to be able to do your routes fluidly and scratch and feel good about yourself....Now the mgt on the darkside just frowns at you..I just do the best I can do each day and that is all I can do..

satellitedriver

In all 3 instances....a lap belt would have resulted in serious injury or death for our driver.
Just being a devils advocate;
Were the people injured and killed, in their personal vehicles, wearing their factory installed / federally mandated 3 point seat belts?
Your illustration would hold more weight if one of the drivers involved was wearing a lap belt and incurred injuries.
I have seen rollovers and head on accidents were the pkg car driver was only wearing a lap belt and they were at work the next day.
BTW, I drive a P5. Lap belt. It really makes me pay very close attention to my driving and the driving of those around me.