Republicans Don't Like Their Potential Choices

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of the reasons Obama was elected was the people wanted change. McCain is part of the establishment and would not represent change. Trump is too abrasive, Palin doesn't have the skill set, Huckabee has too much baggage, etc.

I think Mitt Romney needs to take advantge of this period of uncertainty by declaring his candidacy and going full-bore in to campaign mode. I think he has the skill-set and diplomacy for the job. He works well with others and is able to get others to work well with him.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
One of the reasons Obama was elected was the people wanted change. McCain is part of the establishment and would not represent change. Trump is too abrasive, Palin doesn't have the skill set, Huckabee has too much baggage, etc.

I think Mitt Romney needs to take advantge of this period of uncertainty by declaring his candidacy and going full-bore in to campaign mode. I think he has the skill-set and diplomacy for the job. He works well with others and is able to get others to work well with him.

I agree.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Mitt looks presidential but he's going to have 2 negatives......his state's healthcare and his being a Mormon. People are "weird" about people being Mormon.

I was too young to remember but there was a big deal about JFK being elected as the first Catholic President. We now have our first black President. Maybe it's time for our first black female President.

President Condoleezza Rice

moreluck

golden ticket member
Kennedy was a big deal for Catholics. My mom thought he was a saint. She was gone before all the dirt came out on him. I don't think we are ready for a woman pres., but a vice pres. would be a start.

I've lived in Utah 2 different times and in Idaho....lots of Mormons in both places. They are big on families and morals, but for some reason the outside thinks of them as polygamists and the fact that not too long ago they believed blacks didn't have a soul hurts them too.

klein

Für Meno :)
This from a country which still gets it's marching orders from a monarchy.

Oh, is that true ?
Why was(is) the US and England involved in Iraq, and Canada isn't ?
I guess we are bad boys, didn't listen to neither of them !
We didn't even go to the Falkland Islands, either.
Whats wrong with that picture ?
But, I think the word sovereignity sinks in.

But, on the brighter side, Kate and Willi, will be here after their honeymoon, making Canada their first official vacation destination. They are visiting 4 provinces, mine included. (not that I care, but Kate is sure cute, she could be a top model) !

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I was too young to remember but there was a big deal about JFK being elected as the first Catholic President. We now have our first black President. Maybe it's time for our first black female President.

When I think of Condi; I don't think black or woman.

I think of the most under mentioned political talents in America.

bbsam

Staff member

I don't think she'd go for it. Saw her interviewed on Jon Stewart (very classy lady) and I had the feeling that her time in the White House was exhausting and she knows too much about the politics and internal wars to want to get back into it.

Don't think for a minute that Romney-care wouldn't be brought up in a primary race for the nomination, as far as in the general election....... I don't think the democrats would bring it up. Very few candidates are free of baggage, very few adults are free of baggage. Most people make mistakes, what matters most is what did they learn from those mistakes. A person's religion or lack of religion should only be important for what influence it has on their decision making process. The character and integrity are most important factors. 0bama made promises he knew (or should have known) he couldn't keep and from appearances had no intentions of ever keeping them.

Looking at the most obvious names for candidates, I see only possible VPs , no one with real leadership qualities. I do hope there is someone out there that can come forward and do well. I don't think America can survive another term of 0bama, actually the forecast for the next two doesn't look real hopeful.

curiousbrain

Don't think for a minute that Romney-care wouldn't be brought up in a primary race for the nomination, as far as in the general election....... I don't think the democrats would bring it up. Very few candidates are free of baggage, very few adults are free of baggage. Most people make mistakes, what matters most is what did they learn from those mistakes. A person's religion or lack of religion should only be important for what influence it has on their decision making process. The character and integrity are most important factors. 0bama made promises he knew (or should have known) he couldn't keep and from appearances had no intentions of ever keeping them.

Looking at the most obvious names for candidates, I see only possible VPs , no one with real leadership qualities. I do hope there is someone out there that can come forward and do well. I don't think America can survive another term of 0bama, actually the forecast for the next two doesn't look real hopeful.

Somehow, I think America as a country will survive; there is an "institutional life" (or bureaucratic, if you prefer) that exists in our government. IMHO, no one person - even the President - could destroy it in one term, even if they tried.

Last edited by a moderator:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Mitt could rebut the Romney care by saying, "We tried it in just one state & it doesn't work, so we wouldn't want that plan for all 50 states" (or 57 states if he's talking to B.O.)

Somehow, I think America as a country will survive; there is an "institutional life" (or bureaucratic, if you prefer) that exists in our government. IMHO, no one person - even the President - could destroy it in one term, even if they tried.
It all depends on what you call surviving.

klein

Für Meno :)
Who would want to become Nominee anyways ?

From the start their hands are tied, since they can't go against their own party and raise taxes, but only concentrate on cuts.
Well, cuts alone won't do it, and I would say that's a proven factor !

Unless, those cuts are so dramatic, like abolishing medicare/aid in total, and not handing out SS for anyone earning more then $30K per year.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Don't think for a minute that Romney-care wouldn't be brought up in a primary race for the nomination, as far as in the general election....... I don't think the democrats would bring it up. Very few candidates are free of baggage, very few adults are free of baggage. Most people make mistakes, what matters most is what did they learn from those mistakes. A person's religion or lack of religion should only be important for what influence it has on their decision making process. The character and integrity are most important factors.

I like these words.

Who would want to become Nominee anyways ?

From the start their hands are tied, since they can't go against their own party and raise taxes, but only concentrate on cuts.
Well, cuts alone won't do it, and I would say that's a proven factor !

Unless, those cuts are so dramatic, like abolishing medicare/aid in total, and not handing out SS for anyone earning more then $30K per year.
It is a proven fact that just raising taxes with a sliver of spend modification won't work either.