Retired UPS Management willing to answer all questions that you are are afraid to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrsnbkj

After the 3 day ride I always sat down with the driver & my center manager or have my sup & driver sit down with me. We would discuss the ride to make sure there the ride was legit and then I would ask for a commitment from the driver. There were very few instances when they wouldn't commit. If they refused to live up to their commitment then I would start the disciplinary progression. One time I knew a driver was going to be a problem so I had him followed & videotaped him & then terminated him. Of course, there are much easier ways now with technology to figure out what a driver is doing.
What you just said is absolutely not right was this driver actually stealing time. The management team in the center I work at is trying to hold me to numbers they follow me can't find anything on me at all they check telematics and they scratch there head I work my a s s off to get it done with 2 10 min breaks and my hour lunch and I'm always over paid what would you think of what would you do they only thing they say is I have a inexcusable walk pace then I say look at the sweat coming down my face and do you have a scientific method you use to determine my walk pace when they shut up I tell them to go pound sand

OldMan

What you just said is absolutely not right was this driver actually stealing time. The management team in the center I work at is trying to hold me to numbers they follow me can't find anything on me at all they check telematics and they scratch there head I work my a s s off to get it done with 2 10 min breaks and my hour lunch and I'm always over paid what would you think of what would you do they only thing they say is I have a inexcusable walk pace then I say look at the sweat coming down my face and do you have a scientific method you use to determine my walk pace when they shut up I tell them to go pound sand
If you are working the same as the day someone rode with you then you have nothing to worry about. If management is trying to hold you to some number they made up you have nothing to worry about. If their following you and you are doing the job the same as when they rode with you there is nothing they can do about it. They most certainly can't fire you for walk pace. Assuming everything you're saying is true you have nothing to worry about.

andrsnbkj

If you are working the same as the day someone rode with you then you have nothing to worry about. If management is trying to hold you to some number they made up you have nothing to worry about. If their following you and you are doing the job the same as when they rode with you there is nothing they can do about it. They most certainly can't fire you for walk pace. Assuming everything you're saying is true you have nothing to worry about.
I've been told by on car sup I'm one of a few drivers that really goes by the book not intentionally that's how I was trained and on top of that I was over paid with on car sup I do have 14 years of safe driving and not so good with injuries I have 11 injuries a few rolled ankles and 2 hernias few other minor stuff been with company for 21 years only been full time for 14

bumped

If the drivers are told to adjust for changing conditions how come my stop count doesn't change for changing conditions. How come my stop count is the same whether it is raining out, 70 degrees and sunny, and 8 inches of snow. I'm suppose to double following distances, walk like a penguin, and yada, yads, yada. My work never adjusts.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Why wont they ever fix the dols and dispatch? All across the country the dols and dispatch are complete garbage and then they want to blame it on the drivers why? Why wont they ever train the loaders correctly?

OldMan

I've been told by on car sup I'm one of a few drivers that really goes by the book not intentionally that's how I was trained and on top of that I was over paid with on car sup I do have 14 years of safe driving and not so good with injuries I have 11 injuries a few rolled ankles and 2 hernias few other minor stuff been with company for 21 years only been full time for 14
I always find it sad when I hear that someone is told their overpaid. I believed we all earned our pay. Except for your injuries, you sound like a great employee. The only reason I would be concerned about your injuries is the quality of life you'll have after you retire. The older I got the more I realized that working safely was most important. I have found that you can have safety and be productive. I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your career at UPS. I hope you'll will get a sup that isn't a jerk.

OldMan

Why wont they ever fix the dols and dispatch? All across the country the dols and dispatch are complete garbage and then they want to blame it on the drivers why? Why wont they ever train the loaders correctly?
Like I said, each location is different and I can only tell you what I did. Having disgruntled employee's is not a way to be successful to me.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You will be happy to know that I have found another forum that is more conducive to what I am trying to do. This will be my last night on this forum.
I am sorry to hear this.
This thread has been extremely entertaining.
We appreciate and thank you for keeping the kiddies occupied for a few nights.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
not afraid to ask this. have been asking for years but never have gotten an answer. why does corporate use negative methods to achieve profits?

using fear , threats, intimindation , taking away incentives, turkeys, safe driving gifts, termination letters always being watched and criticized , instead of using positive reinforcement and the golden rule??? there are scores of companies that achieve outstanding profits that do the opposite.

everyone loves a pat on the back and an occasional thank you. 25 years ago we had such a manager. our hub was number one in the nation. the drivers would go through fire for this guy. it was great and fun working here at that time. there was a real comraderie.(sp)

it just seems like a terrible waste. the profits would greatly increase if drivers were appreciated more. sure the pay and bennies are great but there is more to life than that. I would like to work another 5-7 years but just cant wait to retire because of the negative work environment. its such a shame.

so why do you think this is corporates idea of running a successful company when most of us believe this is the wrong approach?

ArcherUTR

I always find it sad when I hear that someone is told their overpaid. I believed we all earned our pay. Except for your injuries, you sound like a great employee. The only reason I would be concerned about your injuries is the quality of life you'll have after you retire. The older I got the more I realized that working safely was most important. I have found that you can have safety and be productive. I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your career at UPS. I hope you'll will get a sup that isn't a jerk.

My job is to not have an accident. My job is to not injure myself or injure someone else. In that sense I am far from overpaid.

Making service on packages comes in at a distant second. No customer complaints even further down the line.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
With all due respect when I was pt management, I ran the dispatching and the preload, and yes I was considered mgmt, and held accountable. And I was awesome. Like our OP said, if someone liked light dispatches, they got it, and when they didnt they knew why, if someone liked heavy days, they got it. If someone needed a day off, they got it. It all worked well til one day a dm walked in at 8 am and no ft sups were yet there and he said, who is running this place anyway, and it was me, myself and I. At 9am no one yet knew what seat they were in because it was no longer my job. That was a fun day.
We got a new sup and center manager the next day, and they were fretting, whos running this place, and I said me, no worries. We were 100 % in range that day, and that center manager never forgot it. He is the one who got me into full time driving so I could go into ft mgmt.
And once into driving, I said screw that.
Because I knew there were too few like him, and too many nay sayers. I also had the keys to the building, and the one who covered the ftimers when they were off for surgeries etc.
I was also sent to train drivers, tho I had never driven. Certifiably. I was also the one who came in at 2am, and was jumping at 6pm. And all the others had gone home.
And you can think what you want. I know what I did, and I dont lie. I just got sick of being abused monetarily,we didnt punch in and out then like they do now. We didnt get overtime after five. We got the crap kicked out of us because we didnt know we had rights. It was "if you dont like it move on" because back then I guess, no one filed grievances for sups working. And I didnt know there was such a thing, no one ever filed one on me. Thinking back I wish they would have, I had no clue. Joe blow needed help, and I went.
We used to have a thing called sysm, I was the one that knew what it meant and how full the trailers coming in would be and adjusted. And when pcs came guess who ran them, and did the conference calls. You got it, the lowly pt sup.[/QUOT

Was treated the same way.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If the drivers are told to adjust for changing conditions how come my stop count doesn't change for changing conditions. How come my stop count is the same whether it is raining out, 70 degrees and sunny, and 8 inches of snow. I'm suppose to double following distances, walk like a penguin, and yada, yads, yada. My work never adjusts.
It's because we work for psychopaths who don't care about other people. ;)

Fragile

not afraid to ask this. have been asking for years but never have gotten an answer. why does corporate use negative methods to achieve profits?

using fear , threats, intimindation , taking away incentives, turkeys, safe driving gifts, termination letters always being watched and criticized , instead of using positive reinforcement and the golden rule??? there are scores of companies that achieve outstanding profits that do the opposite.

everyone loves a pat on the back and an occasional thank you. 25 years ago we had such a manager. our hub was number one in the nation. the drivers would go through fire for this guy. it was great and fun working here at that time. there was a real comraderie.(sp)

it just seems like a terrible waste. the profits would greatly increase if drivers were appreciated more. sure the pay and bennies are great but there is more to life than that. I would like to work another 5-7 years but just cant wait to retire because of the negative work environment. its such a shame.

so why do you think this is corporates idea of running a successful company when most of us believe this is the wrong approach?

It's funny because I've wondered the same throughout the years...

I think that corporate does not have any type of policy to achieve their goals through negative methods. I think that develops through the execution of that plan and the results of micromanagement.

Look at it like this, the majority of middle management are generally glorified blue collar folk. Unless you work in the region you really have no say in how things go and are basically told what to do (YES-MAN). A lot of them came through the ranks from hourly and usually don't have any type of management experience or sensitivity training. The rest are off the street management who never worked in the hub or delivered a package in their lives and are completely out of touch. Either way it's a poisonous combination.

So when you get a DM or center manager who gets threatened with their jobs if they don't get results that's usually when they forget about their morals and values and the workforce experiences harassment and intimidation. I've seen some pretty pathetic things throughout my career that have really been comical. It's funny watching someone completely abandon their ethics and integrity for the sake of the corporation. Once you look at it like that... trust me you'll never feel harassed.

Every one of us has had a manager who was a really good person and tried to please everyone, but we all know that person either gets moved or they become bipolar and change their management method to achieve results. It never lasts long term.

FYI I'm not slamming management here, I'm just telling it like it is. There are plenty of union members that give this company hell and things are the way they are for a reason. I'm a realist.

That's the reason why this job is draining, it's not the physical labor aspect. It's like being in a bad relationship... you love the company, but they keep keying your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.