Retired UPS Management willing to answer all questions that you are are afraid to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmbrownies

I am considering becoming an on car supe. I have been driving for 4 years, and am currently taking online classes to finish my bachelor's in business management. I'm not interested in driving for a career, and this will probably be my last peak as a driver (will be done with school in spring 2016).

Do you recommend UPS management? As a career? And what about for just the experience?

wayfair

swollen member
I am considering becoming an on car supe. I have been driving for 4 years, and am currently taking online classes to finish my bachelor's in business management. I'm not interested in driving for a career, and this will probably be my last peak as a driver (will be done with school in spring 2016).

Do you recommend UPS management? As a career? And what about for just the experience?

fwiw

15 years ago, that would be a iffy decision... now, I 'd hope to think that this isn't your last rodeo

OldMan

The hours are long so it is hard if you have a family. There are so many people out there with Business Degrees and it is hard to get hired if you don't have any experience so UPS would definitely be a way to gain experience. It's so hard for me to recommend this job without knowing you. I went into management because I thought I could make it a better place to work. I was an hourly for 5 years and I knew I would treat people better which resulted in me having a successful career. If you go into it for the right reasons to try & make it a better place I think you will be successful. If you go into it because you are tired of driving you will fail. I think a person with your experience would be a welcome addition. You would have the credentials to make a new driver successful which is really a rewarding feeling. Best of luck to you on whatever you decide. Please let me know what decision you make.

OldMan

When were involved in a accident that is not our fault, ( I know all accidents are "our" fault) where does the money go from the insurance? Not the major ones, the fender benders. All I see is a sledge hammer and some duct tape and we're back on the road.
A lot of times the work is done in house and UPS does not take the money. It helps keep the premium lower.

OldMan

Not sure if this question has been asked, has management noticed, as a whole, the level of commitment from younger drivers and sups alike deteriorate as the company becomes less personal, more faceless to the employees? Does lower operations management fear their jobs becoming obsolete, and the daily justification of their jobs on conference calls to meet metrics give them a feeling of plan facilitators, resulting in the "I'm here to collect a check" mentality trickle down to the labor, does upper management address this or is this the intended direction of the company, automation and less management.
The direction of the company is more automation. Ups does not make anything so they constantly have to figure out ways to reduce cost to remain competitive.

OldMan

Does Atlanta take Amazon's delivery service and/or FDX seriously and if so, how do they plan to address such challenges? Reduced profitability? Reduce driver compensation? Expand Orion?

Or is the belief that competing companies will eventually fail?
They take all competition seriously. I believe that Amazon is carving out a niche delivery service. UPS will always try and find ways to reduce costs to remain competitive. So far, they have done an excellent job at it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Then why don't you become a supervisor to help make it a better place? I'll tell you why, you're at your happiest when you have something to complain about. You'll come up with every lame excuse in the book to not accept that responsibility. I have always felt sorry for people like you.
Having been a pt sup, and seeing how our sups are fed words and told to go spit them about, coming from a former mgmt person, I wonder why no one wants to be a sup anymore? You cant fix crap, and you have no protection.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Having been a pt sup, and seeing how our sups are fed words and told to go spit them about, coming from a former mgmt person, I wonder why no one wants to be a sup anymore? You cant fix crap, and you have no protection.

With all due respect, PT sups are not really management.

Like I said, every center & hub has different management styles. For the people that did the job I did ask them for their opinion. For those that didn't, I either rode with them or had a sup ride with them and then I locked them in to their demonstrated level of performance.
Locked into a demonstrated level of performance? After "tweeking" the dispatch by cutting bulk stops and NDA stops to other routes, massaging the loads, reducing stop count during the ride, etc? How is this a fair process?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Locked into a demonstrated level of performance? After "tweeking" the dispatch by cutting bulk stops and NDA stops to other routes, massaging the loads, reducing stop count during the ride, etc? How is this a fair process?

...hence the "with all else being equal "...if a driver can run 19.2 with an on-car but only 16.2 by himself there is something going on...

CharleyHustle

Like I said, every center & hub has different management styles. For the people that did the job I did ask them for their opinion. For those that didn't, I either rode with them or had a sup ride with them and then I locked them in to their demonstrated level of performance.

And "doing the job" is a fairly subjective term. Would you say that an hourly "not" doing the job is or could be a direct reflection on how those hourly have been managed? So if you mismanage an employee would you be able to ask their "opinion"?

Returntosender

They take all competition seriously. I believe that Amazon is carving out a niche delivery service. UPS will always try and find ways to reduce costs to remain competitive. So far, they have done an excellent job at it.
A few months ago a part time sup with PAS experience left UPS and now works for Amazon. All kinds of rumors going around Amazon is poaching UPS sups with PAS and center operations experience.

BrownTexas

The direction of the company is more automation. Ups does not make anything so they constantly have to figure out ways to reduce cost to remain competitive.
UPS management is going to be nothing but "yes men" under the DM level. As soon as they can get the older ones out, they will start paying new college kids less and less to do the job. Computers are already doing the job for them. All they have to do is follow what it says. Run 100 cars? Sure let me just hit this button that is the 100 routes for the day.

BrownTexas

And "doing the job" is a fairly subjective term. Would you say that an hourly "not" doing the job is or could be a direct reflection on how those hourly have been managed? So if you mismanage an employee would you be able to ask their "opinion"?
Management will use lock in rides to harass drivers. 3 days of constant being on their back, trying to get them to skip their lunch, walk faster, not talk to customers, and whatever else they can do. If they can get the driver to do 1 more stop per hour, they have done their job. This is not complaining this is all factual. Someone files a 9.5 grievance for the first time ever?!? Lets ride with him and hope we can intimidate him to never file one again.

Status
Not open for further replies.