Retiree Airline Discounts

vantexan

Just a heads up if you're wondering whether to stay with FedEx and retire. Was told by travel office that retirees now get the same travel discounts as active employees. That includes discounters like Southwest and Frontier. Used to be a much more limited list for retirees. Last February I flew from Orlando to London, via Newark, on United for $167. There are so many flights to London I had no trouble at all getting on my flight. Might be a risk on discounters getting bumped, but would imagine the costs would be minimal, especially on Frontier. At any rate if you're looking to do a bit of travel, especially overseas, this is a huge benefit.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Years ago I used to fly a lot between Baltimore and Tampa. I always took the earliest flights both ways and never got bumped. Haven’t done it in a long time though. When you fly standby do you do the same, and does that method still work well?

vantexan

Years ago I used to fly a lot between Baltimore and Tampa. I always took the earliest flights both ways and never got bumped. Haven’t done it in a long time though. When you fly standby do you do the same, and does that method still work well?
Early on I flew quite a bit. Got bumped once on Delta but otherwise not too bad. One time flying Southwest from Lubbock to California got bumped in Albuquerque. Turned out there was an NFL game and NASCAR race that weekend in Phoenix. And flying Southwest out of Texas always means multiple stops. So far since retiring this is the only air trip I've taken. Thanks for the tip, will use that!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Early on I flew quite a bit. Got bumped once on Delta but otherwise not too bad. One time flying Southwest from Lubbock to California got bumped in Albuquerque. Turned out there was an NFL game and NASCAR race that weekend in Phoenix. And flying Southwest out of Texas always means multiple stops. So far since retiring this is the only air trip I've taken. Thanks for the tip, will use that!
I always surmised that people didn’t want to get up that early to catch a flight for vacation, especially to return home from Florida. Lol.

Csdsm18

I have better luck paying up front with Frontier I usually get tickets stupid cheap. I pay the 100 a year for some discount package which helps out greatly. I've never tried that stand by but heard of people using it. But for the price you pay for that, my tickets are usually way cheaper still

vantexan

But for that price how many times do ya have to allow them to beat you up and drag your bloody carcass off the plane? (and kill your dog) :blink:
I didn't know what to expect with United. A bit cramped on flight from Orlando to Newark so was dreading the 6 hour flight to London. It ended up being the most comfortable flight I've ever taken. Large plane, plenty of legroom, entertainment center with tons of movies and tv shows. Got two meals and two snacks too. You had to pay extra for WiFi, which I did, and it didn't work. Got contacted shortly after flight by United telling me they were refunding my payment. Don't think I'd ship a dog with them, but compared to Spirit or the discounters I've flown with in Europe it was sheer luxury crossing the Atlantic. Looking at an almost 16 hour direct flight from Dubai to Chicago coming home on Emirates. I think they're the world's highest rated airline, or have been. Should be interesting.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Emirates! You is stylin’ now, baby. I think Singapore is #1 currently, but Emirates is still right up there. I’m pretty certain their flight attendants are all nude.

(unfortunately they’re also all male) :headache:

Whats in the Box

I get bumped everytime I fly NONREV out of a hub (Dallas Love for Southwest, DFW for American, and Seattle for Alaska). Sunday and Monday are the worst as most airline employees are deadheading. It's very frustrating and sometimes not worth the money than to buy a regular ticket.

rod

Retired 22 years
My wife flew from Minneapolis non-stop to Germany on Air France a couple of months ago and it was a cheaper round trip flight than if a person would fly round trip from my hometown to Minneapolis (125 miles). This was without any discounts.

Oldfart

I get bumped everytime I fly NONREV out of a hub (Dallas Love for Southwest, DFW for American, and Seattle for Alaska). Sunday and Monday are the worst as most airline employees are deadheading. It's very frustrating and sometimes not worth the money than to buy a regular ticket.
I know when I fly, the planes are nearly always full and the airlines have reduced the number of flights so sometimes you only have a few flights to fly standby. I just bite the bullet and buy a ticket so my plans don't get spoiled.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
My wife flew from Minneapolis non-stop to Germany on Air France a couple of months ago and it was a cheaper round trip flight than if a person would fly round trip from my hometown to Minneapolis (125 miles). This was without any discounts.

Not many flights out of Hooterville

oldngray

nowhere special
Not many flights out of Hooterville

They usually take the train.

petticoat-junction.jpg

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Get the Southwest Airlines Visa if you're a fan of Southwest. Sometimes the bonus for new applicants is 50k or 60k Rapid Rewards points. A group of friends and I usually have an annual trip to Vegas. Before I lost the discount, I'd fly out using the employee discount (direct flight as early as possible; reduced the bump risk) and return using a ticket that I purchased via my points so that I had a guaranteed seat on a flight and would get home on time. It extended the longevity of my points.

MassWineGuy

The FedEx travel discount is total b.s. if a pilot’s flying stanby, he or she is ahead of you. If their neighbor is on standby, they’re ahead of you. The only chance is to fly before sunrise. Why sleep at all the night before you go?

Paying for a real ticket is worth the peace of mind.

Oldfart

The FedEx travel discount is total b.s. if a pilot’s flying stanby, he or she is ahead of you. If their neighbor is on standby, they’re ahead of you. The only chance is to fly before sunrise. Why sleep at all the night before you go?

Paying for a real ticket is worth the peace of mind.
Definitely. I do great with rental and hotel discounts. Airline isn't worth messing up a nice vacation.