Retiree healthcare

I appreciate you tagging me in this post.

I tend to try and stay away from giving advice on (my understanding of) retirement issues.

Bad information can have dire consequences in these situations. Best thing to do is contact the Local.
I figured it was worth a shot
But I honestly do not think he has enough time to qualify the health care

oldngray

nowhere special

I tend to try and stay away from giving advice on (my understanding of) retirement issues.

Bad information can have dire consequences in these situations. Best thing to do is contact the Local.
Local is the best but still very dependent on the quality of the people there. HR if you can get through to them after at least an hour on hold will only give you the one size fits all answer they read from a script and will be clueless about differences between plans.

Carhauler

I definitely understand BigUnionGuy..Thanks much for following up and offering this advice as well.

Carhauler

Very true Oldngray,
I have been running into the hour on hold scenario many times lately. Here is information from the SPD description that is the basis for why I think I should be covered.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221018-082038_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20221018-082038_Samsung Notes.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20221018-081320_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20221018-081320_Samsung Notes.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 73

Johney

Here to get the Teamcare health insurance after leaving the company you must be retired at 55. $400 a month covers myself and spouse taken straight from my pension check. Anyone I knew that left before 55 got healthcare through their spouse. You can pick it up when you turn 55 if you weren't before retiring. I will say this it's not as good of insurance as before retiring, but I can't complain about $400 a month for what it is.

oldngray

nowhere special
Here to get the Teamcare health insurance after leaving the company you must be retired at 55. $400 a month covers myself and spouse taken straight from my pension check. Anyone I knew that left before 55 got healthcare through their spouse. You can pick it up when you turn 55 if you weren't before retiring. I will say this it's not as good of insurance as before retiring, but I can't complain about $400 a month for what it is.
My local still has the UPS/Aetna insurance so you are still covered if you retire before 55. Confuses the people at the union who are more familiar with Central States and differs from the UPS plan in that it doesn't cover you until 55. $300 a month including spouse for insurance that is close but not quite as good as before retiring but far better than resorting to plans on the open market.

Carhauler

That's the same here. Age 55 and $400 total for employee/spouse per month.agreed, by far better than the ACA market plans. Johney, do you know if it's possible to retire and take the retiree health care and let the pension stay put( defer it) until I'm 65 to avoid the 6% penalty per year under age 65. Just like some people retire and don't take the retiree healthcare because they go on their spouses. I'm looking to do the opposite because my wife carries no health insurance with her work as an independent contractor (1099).

Carhauler

My local still has the UPS/Aetna insurance so you are still covered if you retire before 55. Confuses the people at the union who are more familiar with Central States and differs from the UPS plan in that it doesn't cover you until 55. $300 a month including spouse for insurance that is close but not quite as good as before retiring but far better than resorting to plans on the open market.
Agree wholeheartedly with you oldngray. For the price I'll take the coverage anyday over the open market. Worry about the $250 k annual limit when and if that time comes.

Johney

That's the same here. Age 55 and $400 total for employee/spouse per month.agreed, by far better than the ACA market plans. Johney, do you know if it's possible to retire and take the retiree health care and let the pension stay put( defer it) until I'm 65 to avoid the 6% penalty per year under age 65. Just like some people retire and don't take the retiree healthcare because they go on their spouses. I'm looking to do the opposite because my wife carries no health insurance with her work as an independent contractor (1099).
I’ve never heard of anyone taking insurance without collecting pension payments. Nor have I ever heard of 6% penalties for collecting before 65.

oldngray

nowhere special
I’ve never heard of anyone taking insurance without collecting pension payments. Nor have I ever heard of 6% penalties for collecting before 65.
There are two ways of calculating your pension. One way is potentially more but reduces the amount by 6% per year before 65. The other way is based on years of service and is a fixed amount and ends up more if you aren't at least in your late 50's. You will end up with which way pays you more.