Retirement Blues

j r cunningham

HAVING JUST GONE THROUGH THE RETIREMENT PROCESS,I AM WARNING ALL MY FELLOW TEAMSTERS TO COVER YOUR ASS. THE HR DEPARTMENT IS A PACKAGE CAR CRASH. CHECK EVERYTHING WITH YOUR LOCAL UNION. UPS H. R. HAD NO KNOWLEDGE OF THE PROCESS. ALL THE ADVISE THEY DISPENSED WAS WRONG. DISINFORMATION AND DISRESPECT ARE SOP WITH THESE FOLKS. PARTY ON.:sad:

raceanoncr

HAVING JUST GONE THROUGH THE RETIREMENT PROCESS,I AM WARNING ALL MY FELLOW TEAMSTERS TO COVER YOUR ASS. THE HR DEPARTMENT IS A PACKAGE CAR CRASH. CHECK EVERYTHING WITH YOUR LOCAL UNION. UPS H. R. HAD NO KNOWLEDGE OF THE PROCESS. ALL THE ADVISE THEY DISPENSED WAS WRONG. DISINFORMATION AND DISRESPECT ARE SOP WITH THESE FOLKS. PARTY ON.:sad:

In that case, can I trade places with you and I will battle with them and you can work for me?

he is RIGHT there.. what he is saying about the UPS HR dept. they are a bunch of freaking yahoos. i guess same as everywhere else in UPS no training is provided.. sadly you have to do alot of things by yourself and dont take their word for it.

my story with my HR dept. i wanted to apply for automotive shop .. i asked them to arrange an interview with the automotive hiring manager... guess what they did so.... but they failed to inform me that it was last week.. so they had the nerve to approach me and tell me if i made the interview it was last week.. a week goes by and then they tell me....

i was working the nights, so i went home one day, took a nice shower and put on a good pair of black shoe.. went back to UPS and talked to the manager myself...

i will never forget it........ lol

JohnnyPension

It all depends on who you get. In Metro NY I dealt with Joann at HR and she knew her stuff and returned phone calls if you had a question. Between her and Laura at the union hall things went smoothly for me.

sendagain

I found that so few people had retired that only one guy actually knew what had to be done. Working with him made my transition successfull, but it shouldn't be such a mystery. The union was of little help as well.

J

JELLISY

I found that so few people had retired that only one guy actually knew what had to be done. Working with him made my transition successfull, but it shouldn't be such a mystery. The union was of little help as well.
IF YOU ARE A TEAMSTER THE TEAMSTERS ARE THE ONES YOU SHOULD TALK TO THE COMPANY PAYS THE TEAMSTERS AND THEY ADM YOUR RETIREMENT????????????

rwsmith67

JR, I had the same trouble wiyh HR at the time of my retirement, nobody had a clue, so I had to do a lot of things that should have been done by them. The Teamsters knew more about it than HR, the girl helping me at the union finally got it straightened out, my supervisor also had no clue and my mgr. could care less, it was a frustrating experience!

UPS75:confused:1

RozUPS

he is RIGHT there.. what he is saying about the UPS HR dept. they are a bunch of freaking yahoos. i guess same as everywhere else in UPS no training is provided.. sadly you have to do alot of things by yourself and dont take their word for it.

my story with my HR dept. i wanted to apply for automotive shop .. i asked them to arrange an interview with the automotive hiring manager... guess what they did so.... but they failed to inform me that it was last week.. so they had the nerve to approach me and tell me if i made the interview it was last week.. a week goes by and then they tell me....

i was working the nights, so i went home one day, took a nice shower and put on a good pair of black shoe.. went back to UPS and talked to the manager myself...

i will never forget it........ lol

Sounds like my Sat Air driving ordeal. They told me right b4 Memorial day wekend I was up for it and to stop in the next week to arrange the online application.. After that NOT ANOTHER FREAKIN WORD ABOUT IT. I've had to go up after preload every few weeks just to see what was going on. This is the only way I got the Driving test and DOT physical accomplished. Finally gave me a date for driving school and yanked that without any notice The only way I found out I was not going was to go up the week b4 to make sure I was going...I'm about to jump ship before I get in too deep with this company.

sendagain

IF YOU ARE A TEAMSTER THE TEAMSTERS ARE THE ONES YOU SHOULD TALK TO THE COMPANY PAYS THE TEAMSTERS AND THEY ADM YOUR RETIREMENT????????????

But UPS handles your medical coverage when you retire. There are also forms and loose ends to be tied up as you leave concerning your vacation and sick pay. You just don't have the option of just dealing with the union.

Channahon

There are retirement seminars for non union employees at UPS and spouses are invited to attend. Every employee over 50 has the opportunity to attend. The seminar is done by an outside investment firm and materials are provided to take notes. There is no push by the investment firm to use them, but they do speak to diversification.

Perhaps the union can do the same thing for union employees. As hard as ALL UPS employees work, and approaching retirement age, there should not be any stress in getting retirement benefits that we all worked so hard to obtain.

You need to start the process at least 6 months before your retirement date.

I've got a while before I retire, but noticed that last year the company only contributed 4 out of the 12 months into my pension. I worked over 2400 hours last year. I know I didn't do it in only 4 months.

I think everyone needs to watch their yearly contributions, so that isn't a problem when the time comes.

BigBrownSanta

I just checked Central States' website, and I didn't see anything there to find out about past contributions. If I can find time tommorow, I'll call them and check on it. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbup1:

BigBrownSanta

I didn't get a chance to call today, but they returned my email and said there is a place on their site to find out...

of course they didn't include a link to find it though.

rod

Retired 22 years
Get all your ducks in a row at least 6 months in advance because you will swear that you are the 1st person ever to retire from UPS. No one knows anything about nothing. I started at least 9 months in advance and still ended up working 27 more days than I had to because of people dragging their feet. Call me cautious but I wanted it in black and white that I had enough time served to qualify for a full pension - not just some yahoo on the phone saying I did.

retired2000

i do not understand why you are going to hr. i never dealt with them when i retired. just went to the teamster pension fund and they did all of the work. no problems at all.

wyobill

i do not understand why you are going to hr. i never dealt with them when i retired. just went to the teamster pension fund and they did all of the work. no problems at all.
Our retirement benefits are thru UPS not the union. Previous drivers
that have retired from our center pays 50 bucks a month. UPS handles
our health benefits for working and retires. The retirement check comes from Central States