Retirement

Are you still planning on being here in 25 to 30 years?
Ideally I would like to be here 25 years, and retire at 61. I would like to do package handling 2 years until my daughter graduates. Then delivery driving 2 years until my step-daughter graduates, and then move somewhere warm, and be a feeder for 20 years until I'm 61. Problem is, I don' know if I'll make it through my first week or two as a package handler. I' 36, and I hate to say it, but 360lbs, and my body already hurts. Couldn' believe they even hired me, but figure I have nothing to lose. I have a 2nd pt job, and my wife makes a good living. Might as well get in shape and see what happens. Am I going to die when I start tomorrow?

upschuck

Ideally I would like to be here 25 years, and retire at 61. I would like to do package handling 2 years until my daughter graduates. Then delivery driving 2 years until my step-daughter graduates, and then move somewhere warm, and be a feeder for 20 years until I'm 61. Problem is, I don' know if I'll make it through my first week or two as a package handler. I' 36, and I hate to say it, but 360lbs, and my body already hurts. Couldn' believe they even hired me, but figure I have nothing to lose. I have a 2nd pt job, and my wife makes a good living. Might as well get in shape and see what happens. Am I going to die when I start tomorrow?
A lot of people have lost some good weight at this job, wish you all the luck.

rod

Retired 22 years

Good luck. I suppose it could be done but I can't picture a 360 lb. person keeping up with the pace of UPS. You're just joking with us aren't you.

Good luck. I suppose it could be done but I can't picture a 360 lb. person keeping up with the pace of UPS. You're just joking with us aren't you.
Nope, not joking. Made it through day 1. 2 hours of intense video watching. Could barely stay awake. Have to be there at 3am tomorrow. Was told I'd probably start on unloading first. We have an extremely small hub. It didn't look very fast paced to me, but I also didn't get that great of a look at it today, since I was just watching videos. Guess I'll get a better idea tomorrow.

Mr. Sir

Box slinger
Nope, not joking. Made it through day 1. 2 hours of intense video watching. Could barely stay awake. Have to be there at 3am tomorrow. Was told I'd probably start on unloading first. We have an extremely small hub. It didn't look very fast paced to me, but I also didn't get that great of a look at it today, since I was just watching videos. Guess I'll get a better idea tomorrow.
Be prepared for the workout of ur life.

unloading feeders day 1 @ 360 .. sha na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye
All I can do is show up every day, and do my best. Hopefully they stick with me long enough to build up my stamina, and do it good enough for the sups approval, and make it through my 30 day trial period. However, the sups seem nice, but demanding. I was watching videos today when everyone went on break. They were 8 minutes into their break, and the sup was yelling "lets go guys." Maybe the sup didn' realize how long they were on break. Maybe the sup started yelling early so they'd be back by the 10 minute mark. I don' know, but it tells me if I'm not busting ass, I'll hear about it.

ski or die

Ski or Die
I started out in the hub loading trailers. This was back when everything was full time. A friend of mine from high school started working there at the same time. He had just got out of the Marines. He only lasted two weeks. He said "the Marines didn't treat you this bad." Good luck, they treat the employees even worse now then 50 years ago.

PT Car Washer

All I can do is show up every day, and do my best. Hopefully they stick with me long enough to build up my stamina, and do it good enough for the sups approval, and make it through my 30 day trial period. However, the sups seem nice, but demanding. I was watching videos today when everyone went on break. They were 8 minutes into their break, and the sup was yelling "lets go guys." Maybe the sup didn' realize how long they were on break. Maybe the sup started yelling early so they'd be back by the 10 minute mark. I don' know, but it tells me if I'm not busting ass, I'll hear about it.
At my building they announce the two minute warning for the smokers. Then a one minute warning for everyone else to get back to their work area before the belts come back on.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Don't let this discourage you. I'm over 360 and am retiring within 30 days. Worked preload 3 years, package car driver for 24 years, and now hold a cushy clerk job. It is entirely possible.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Well, this topic had me wondering, do I still weigh as much as I thought I did. Haven't weighed myself in quite a while...actually I'm 280 and falling. So maybe not quite twice the man, unless you're really a small guy @140lbs. At which point I'm sure UPS is kicking your ass!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well, this topic had me wondering, do I still weigh as much as I thought I did. Haven't weighed myself in quite a while...actually I'm 280 and falling. So maybe not quite twice the man, unless you're really a small guy @140lbs. At which point I'm sure UPS is kicking your ass!

You could weigh 140 and still be 10 times the man @burrhead could ever hope to be.

Pismo Bill

Ive read a lot of retirement discussions on here, and am more confused than ever. Can someone just tell me when I can retire? I'm starting Monday as a PT package handler. I'l be 37 in a few months, and plan to be a driver in 3 years. When can I retire? When I'm dead?
in the southwest we have peer 80 when your age and years of service add up to 80
you can retire