Retirement

rod

Retired 22 years
So started at 22 and was 53 when I retired. So according to the peer 80 BS I would have had to work 5 more years? friend that.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Ive read a lot of retirement discussions on here, and am more confused than ever. Can someone just tell me when I can retire? I'm starting Monday as a PT package handler. I'l be 37 in a few months, and plan to be a driver in 3 years. When can I retire? When I'm dead?

Since no one on here has brought it up... I had planned on being a driver after three years. That seven years was the longest three years of my life. You understand that UPS doesn't care about your timeline, right?

Ideally I would like to be here 25 years, and retire at 61. I would like to do package handling 2 years until my daughter graduates. Then delivery driving 2 years until my step-daughter graduates, and then move somewhere warm, and be a feeder for 20 years until I'm 61. Problem is, I don' know if I'll make it through my first week or two as a package handler. I' 36, and I hate to say it, but 360lbs, and my body already hurts. Couldn' believe they even hired me, but figure I have nothing to lose. I have a 2nd pt job, and my wife makes a good living. Might as well get in shape and see what happens. Am I going to die when I start tomorrow?

Would I be wrong in assuming it's not 360 lbs of pure muscle? As long as you have some strength to go with that size and can move quickly enough, you should be fine. I would highly recommend focusing on losing weight over the next few years while waiting to drive. The excess weight will be really hard on your knees and feet getting in and out of the package car hundreds of times a day. Also, you will likely have to do a sleep study to get your DOT card. Not trying to be harsh, I topped out at around 300, so I have some experience.

Last edited:

Constantly

I will be 54 how can I retire from UPS worked as driver helper got laid off been out off and on so now i want to try and retire from there wondering?????What to do