Retro check is in!

Rack em

Made the Podium
You guys are about the only ones who had an excuse for voting yes.
There was no excuse to vote yes. The money isn't going anywhere and everyone will eventually get their back pay. Why not get more back pay AND a decent contract instead of a smaller retro check that should already be in your bank account anyway and a worthless contract?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
There was no excuse to vote yes. The money isn't going anywhere and everyone will eventually get their back pay. Why not get more back pay AND a decent contract instead of a smaller retro check that should already be in your bank account anyway and a worthless contract?

I was mostly joking. I did the math at one point, though, and a driver still in his first year of proression will make abouy $20-30k more during their progression under this contract than those of us just finishing progression. It's like the union offering them a brand new car, or a decent down payment for a house to vote yes. If the thinking was that increase could go away if negotiations opened back up, I could understand them wanting to vote yes.

Easy there friend. Just taking the hours needed for a years pension credit, 1800 hours/year. The 70 cent raise is like $1,260 a year.
Yes I know the OT is much better but nobody is getting anywhere close to $30k by 2023!

New mechanics and PE mechanics will be looking at some serious change. I transferred to this position in May, start $25/hr for 4 years then hit top pay which is currently (w/o raise from new contract) 36.79/hr. New contract will have me at roughly $31/hr from August 1st to next may (2019), at which point I’ll go to roughly $34/hr, until the next May (2020) when I hit top pay of 36.79 (again no raises from new contract calculated into top pay rate, but they will affect my progression pay because it’s based on percentages of top pay).

You can do the math yourself but I’m already looking at a backpay check of almost $4,000 less probably 40% for taxes. Let that stack up until May 2022 when I’d hit top pay anyway, and with the differences between 25/hr for 4 years vs 31/hr for 10 months, then 34/hr for 12 months, then 36.79/hr for the remainder and UPS will owe me a :censored2:load of money.

Edit: and that’s no overtime a straight 40 hours a week.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
451BB0EC-72F1-4A19-92F1-26FC86F3A4AE.gif
Well for drivers yes. But my sister is a mechanic who was not at top rate
So she's getting something like $12 an hour each day she's there.

Huh!!

SweatPit

i won't bite
Mechanics progression dropped to 2 years. Happy for them.

BS how they can pick and choose though. Why not the drivers and the 22.3's be dropped to 2 or possibly 3 years?

Especially knowing there are 22.3's at like $16-$17 an hour right now. They have seasonal full-time job bid sheets for ANY part timer which brings them up to $18 an hour. So Joe Shmo who has been with the company less then a year is making more per hour then a 22.3 that has been with the company for like 7 years.

Does anyone remember when the last contract finally went through completley? Was it in February?

Mechanics progression dropped to 2 years. Happy for them.

BS how they can pick and choose though. Why not the drivers and the 22.3's be dropped to 2 or possibly 3 years?

Especially knowing there are 22.3's at like $16-$17 an hour right now. They have seasonal full-time job bid sheets for ANY part timer which brings them up to $18 an hour. So Joe Shmo who has been with the company less then a year is making more per hour then a 22.3 that has been with the company for like 7 years.

Does anyone remember when the last contract finally went through completley? Was it in February?

As a PE mechanic in an automated hub I can say with no doubt the reason our progression got streamlined is because even at $25/hr start (skip 18.75-25 progression) they just can’t get people. And it’s a nationwide problem as far as I know. No one who qualifies or is any good wants that job, they can start out making more in other places and start out with vacation, with benefits, etc. Short term attracting good mechanics and maintenance mechanics to UPS is a huge uphill battle. PE management was practically begging UPS to nix that progression. There are so few (relatively) people in mechanic classifications that for UPS to do that is no big deal for the return they get from it. They’ve been trying to fully staff our hub with maintenance mechanics for almost 3 years nonstop and we STILL are trying to hire people. And the number we need is honestly not big. Barely double digits.

On the other hand they have no problems suckering in drivers and muscling them into the 4 year progression whether from part timers or outside hires. Not saying it’s right or that I agree, even if the Union didn’t roll over for the part that applies to me it doesn’t mean I can’t see that the union rolled over.

Edit: and it went through in April 2014 last time I believe

Shift 2

I'm getting $3.75 per hour + OT with back pay so I can wait til whenever to receive a multi thousand dollar bonus check. I just wish the rumors were true at the beginning of negotiations about going back to a 3 year progression. Imagine the back pay check for that, it'd be something like $11.86 an hour!
How are you getting $3.75 in back pay it’s $18.75 to $21.00 that’s $2.25 not $3.75

Observer

Do people who are in progression (22.4) get the retro pay also? Another question do people in progression get the raise after everything is ratified and the checks are done for back pay? I know we won't be getting any retro checks until at least June based on last time - but just trying to get a couple of questions answered. Thanks for your help with this.

Indecisi0n

Do people who are in progression (22.4) get the retro pay also? Another question do people in progression get the raise after everything is ratified and the checks are done for back pay? I know we won't be getting any retro checks until at least June based on last time - but just trying to get a couple of questions answered. Thanks for your help with this.
Yes. I hope that helps you. Have a wonderful holiday season this year and God bless you and your family.

Yolo

Did you turn in the retro pay request form? It was due Nov 30th. If you turned it in you will get a retro check. Otherwise it is forfeited.

No_Member_Name

If your still in progression, u will get your progression raise if the contract isn’t official. My last progression is 50 cents on March 19. Crossing fingers

So I’m at $13 now, i would go to $13.50 on March 19 and then when the contract becomes offical, I’ll go to $14.20. If the contract becomes official before March 19, then i only go to $13.70