Returning after 2 year injury

H

hseofpayne

Hoping the best to all who have been injured here. I had a bad AC joint in my left shoulder and lucked out with company doctors - they were great and I've been back to abusing it for years now.

My husband had a serious knee injury on-job and had to see company doctors. It was a different insurance company but they're all out to save money, not people. He had a nurse caseworker who led us like sheep into every doctors appointment and took over once we were in there. We called her "the tick". She was so sickening sweet, said she'd pray for him and so forth. We later found out that she was the machine behind his major screwing. He actually developed RSD, a lifelong nerve problem, and she plus the doctors knew it. Costs a fortune to treat and a good doctor charges more than Aetna will pay, leaving much out of pocket expense for us.

The surgeon's RSD suggestion was not entered into his report until after the fact. Husband saw an attorney but no mention of RSD so he said to sign off. After a year of suffering and unable to work (FCE left him with damning restrictions) he went to a doctor on his own. Got the medical records from the previous surgeon and, Oh boy, there it was, "possible RSD" stuck at the very end of the report. Covered the surgeon's rear end but was an add-on.

Many dollars later he is able to function and work, the new doctor lightened the restrictions to a reasonable level plus told him he didn't have to show the restriction paper when applying. Different attorney said that because he signed off there was no way to go after them. However, he had gone head-to-head with that casenurse before and would like to have another go at her. He, a well known professional, called her a "witch". The most important thing he told us was that we didn't have to allow her to attend the office visits!!! Those casenurses interfere and pretty much own the doctors because they funnel business in their direction. So call that attorney and verify this. Might be you can just tell her to buzz off next time she tries to attach herself to you. Best of luck to you!!
I have 2 lawyers, one for the lady that pulled out in front of me and one for workers comp. I have heard about caseworker nurses, but I haven't seen one in my case. My workers comp told me of the possibility of a nurse but he also said if one showed up I could make her wait outside. I also talked to my atty about FCE but I wanted to hear first hand info from fellow UPSers. Thanks for replying and good luck to you, too.

helenofcalifornia

I have had two case nurses. Both of them very pleasant. But I left both of them at the door to the exam room and would not allow them in. They didn't tell me that it was my choice as to if they came in the room, another driver did. I wish someone would write a book on things the UPS employee does not know about UPS and the way they work.

Guaranteed to be a best seller at UPS centers and hubs.

H

hseofpayne

Dude dont you have a lawyer ? Get one or get screwed
I have 2 lawyers but who trusts lawyers?! I need lawyers to make sure my current lawyers don't screw my eyes out, too! Between insurance companies, lawyers, and doctors, neither of them have a clue just what UPS drivers' bodies go through every day. I want to know what UPS people have experienced in this situation, whether this test is legit or an attempt to keep me from driving again!

H

hseofpayne

I have had two case nurses. Both of them very pleasant. But I left both of them at the door to the exam room and would not allow them in. They didn't tell me that it was my choice as to if they came in the room, another driver did. I wish someone would write a book on things the UPS employee does not know about UPS and the way they work.

Great idea HelenofCalifornia!! I wents a couple months riding back and forth to doctors before I found out Liberty Mutual was supposed to be paying gas mileage. Only after I got a lawyer did I find out. The reason I got a lawyer in the first place was the company doctor said I was OK to return to work when I knew I wasn't. It took getting a lawyer to get a MRI done and to change doctors. We have rights, its just hard to get UPS to admit to it !

drewed

Shankman

Im pretty sure its the insurance companies not UPS ( yea they do tend to have hole in the wall doctors of theirs) but the entire caseworker thing is a insurance thing...UPS wants you to go home in the same conditon that you came to work in

H

hseofpayne

Im pretty sure its the insurance companies not UPS ( yea they do tend to have hole in the wall doctors of theirs) but the entire caseworker thing is a insurance thing...UPS wants you to go home in the same conditon that you came to work in
Are your lips brown yet? UPS wants their TRUCK to come back in the same condition. UPS is self insured, Liberty just pushes the paper. I hope you never have to be in the position we injured find ourselves. If so, you will find that as is most of life, it all boils down to dollars and non-cents!

Johney

I swore I'd never give comp advice again but I didn't see Danny mention this. If you do return to work check with your attorney on state comp laws regarding keeping your case active. Some states require you to go back to the comp Dr. before 365 days from your last visit to keep it active unless you settle your case with them. In my state if your last visit was Jan 1,08 and you try and see the Doc on Jan 2,09 they no longer have to pay. Keep in mind this is after you have been able to return with no restrictions. I have been seeing one comp Dr.for over 5 years now. There is another guy in my center who has been seeing his Dr. for close to 10 years.

H

hseofpayne

I swore I'd never give comp advice again but I didn't see Danny mention this. If you do return to work check with your attorney on state comp laws regarding keeping your case active. Some states require you to go back to the comp Dr. before 365 days from your last visit to keep it active unless you settle your case with them. In my state if your last visit was Jan 1,08 and you try and see the Doc on Jan 2,09 they no longer have to pay. Keep in mind this is after you have been able to return with no restrictions. I have been seeing one comp Dr.for over 5 years now. There is another guy in my center who has been seeing his Dr. for close to 10 years.
Thanks Johney, good advice, they have made offers but they all include my waiving future right to medical treatment.

Johney

Thanks Johney, good advice, they have made offers but they all include my waiving future right to medical treatment.
And correct me if I'm wrong but not only waiving medical, but I'm sure they also want you to resign. I'm sure you already know this but most likely your attorney would also get a cut of any settlement.:greedy:

H

hseofpayne

And correct me if I'm wrong but not only waiving medical, but I'm sure they also want you to resign. I'm sure you already know this but most likely your attorney would also get a cut of any settlement.:greedy:
Actually, Johney, the offers say I am responsible for working out employment issues based on my restrictions, if any. Ups is currently in the middle of a class action lawsuit because of their 100 % healed return to work policy of not providing alternate work that fits permanent limitations. It's a tough situation for injured employees but I really don't know where UPS would stick us(well other than the obvious place they stick us!)

H

hseofpayne

What class action suit? Sounds like something that would benefit everyone that works at UPS. What state was it filed in and is there a web site?
Mark Hohider , et al vs. United Parcel Service Inc., et al
Branum, et al vs. United Parcel Service, et al
Google " UPS lawsuit" and you will see the 100% lawsuit heading; click on that and it takes you to the website for the attorneys filing the cases. Also lets you know if you are a member of the class action suit. It is nationwide.