Rick Perry's info.

moreluck

golden ticket member
There is plenty of "dirty laundry" to go around and a lot of that is shared by the two most prevalent parties. I'm sure even Paul has some things he would rather keep to himself as well. I have a very hard time trusting anyone ( yes that includes Perry) running for political office above the local level.

As I've mentioned before, I wish there were limits on the $$$ that could be raised for election. There are plenty of good, qualified leaders out there who just aren't wealthy enough to run for office. For instance, have $1 million that could be raised and that's it. The candidate can spend for TV, radio, newspapers, whatever they want and when it's gone, that's it. It would be great because the campaign time for elections would be about a week instead of a year and a half.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of the benefits (detriments?) of the Internet is the ability to potentially reach millions of people for the cost of an Internet connection. President Obama effectively used social media in his political campaign in 2008--look for this genre to explode in 2012.

menotyou

bella amicizia
As I've mentioned before, I wish there were limits on the $$$ that could be raised for election. There are plenty of good, qualified leaders out there who just aren't wealthy enough to run for office. For instance, have $1 million that could be raised and that's it. The candidate can spend for TV, radio, newspapers, whatever they want and when it's gone, that's it. It would be great because the campaign time for elections would be about a week instead of a year and a half.
To run for the rinky-dink office of NY representative from my district, you have to raise $10 million. That is disguting. You get $100,000 from a yet to be determined source, 5 days and that's it.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
[h=1]FEC Drafts Opinions for Guyana-Born Man About Presidential Run[/h]
The Federal Election Commission is showing signs that it might allow a Guyana-born American citizen to file papers and raise money to run for president of the United States.
The agency released two draft advisory opinions Friday that could permit New York lawyer Abdul Hassan to go through the initial steps to run for president. But the FEC’s pending decision won’t be the last word on the constitutional issue of whether someone born outside the United States can be president.
Hassan was born in the South American country in 1974, and he asked the FEC in July whether he could raise funds as a candidate for president.
The request put the FEC in the rare role of deciding a large constitutional issue that has only a few intersections with campaign finance law.
The agency quickly signaled that it would decide the technicalities of filing requirements while leaving the broader issue of who can run for president to the judicial branch. In an email to Hassan on July 18, the FEC stated that he understood “that although the Commission can respond to the questions asked in [his] advisory opinion, the Commission cannot make any determination as to whether [Hassan] can, as a naturalized citizen, serve as President.”
Both advisory opinions answer three of Hassan’s four questions in a similar way. They state that Hassan could be a candidate, may solicit funds and would be required to file disclosure reports. But the two opinions differ on whether he may receive federal matching funds.

wkmac

There is plenty of "dirty laundry" to go around and a lot of that is shared by the two most prevalent parties. I'm sure even Paul has some things he would rather keep to himself as well. I have a very hard time trusting anyone ( yes that includes Perry) running for political office above the local level.

I've no doubt about that at all. I do agree about trust above the local level but even the local level needs serious watching.

wkmac

Just on a quick read on Feingold, I see no severe objections to the man. But for me the question would be, why would Paul work so hard to get a nomination to risk election by bringing in a democratic maverick? As enticing as it sounds, wouldn't that be political suicide?

Right after Feingold lost his seat in the Senate, Jesse Walker of Reason wrote this piece on Feingold and in some sense displays his bi-partisan nature that is so often overlooked. Even more fun, how would the media and the pundit class handle a bi-partisan political ticket of Paul/Feingold? Just for pure theater, it would be worth every minute of it.

Another good piece by Bill Kauffman of The American Conservative on that whole midwest tradition from which Feingold comes from.

wkmac

Speaking of Perry, Obama and Welfare

I bet if we looked deep enough, we'd find food stamps for the bigger welfare queens too. I'm betting Perry has doled them out as "PARTY" favors!

So what's the difference in Perry and Obama other than the trash that ooozes from their mouths?

Oh wait, what's the difference between an Obama voter and a republican voter?

No much really!

:happy-very:

wkmac

This might help Ron's cause a bit also. Either that or the rest of the GOP field may start feeling the pressure to go a bit anti-fed as well. Also I just watched video of Ron on the Sunday Fox Show with Chris Wallace and I was surprised to be honest. I was expecting a bit tougher go for Ron from Chris Wallace but Ron handled Chris, if you want to call it that, pretty well. I don't think as of yet the pundit class thinks Ron can win and that may be true but I'm surprised with his message gaining ground that the statists (mostly on the right) haven't bared their teeth against Ron yet. I'm wondering just how much longer they'll let him go on as just ole' crazy "Uncle Ron" as Jon Stewart pointed out.

Whether he gets elected or not, he's turning the roll of gov't dialogue in this country on it's head and it's starting to take shape on both the right and the left but moreso with some independent minds as well.

av8torntn

I don't think as of yet the pundit class thinks Ron can win and that may be true but I'm surprised with his message gaining ground that the statists (mostly on the right) haven't bared their teeth against Ron yet. I'm wondering just how much longer they'll let him go on as just ole' crazy "Uncle Ron" as Jon Stewart pointed out.

In the primary as long as he is getting at least ten points in the polls and raising money well the other candidates will not be able to afford to go after him at full force unless he were the frontrunner. If and when he get above 15 points you'd see a push to adopt some of his positions.

moreluck

golden ticket member
In the primary as long as he is getting at least ten points in the polls and raising money well the other candidates will not be able to afford to go after him at full force unless he were the frontrunner. If and when he get above 15 points you'd see a push to adopt some of his positions.

I'm OK with what the guy says, but like I said before there's a creep factor with him.......there's also a small creep factor with Mitt Romney too. He reminds me of the Jonas Brothers and their purity rings.......not of this world!

(Gee, there's about 43 original words and no cut & paste.....I hope I didn't overtax my brain :sick:)

Babagounj

Strength through joy
As a victim of Romneycare , for which I am totally against, I would vote for him because of his religion.
I think a few mormons in gov't would change the face of DC.
Unlike the morons we currently have there.

av8torntn

I'm OK with what the guy says, but like I said before there's a creep factor with him.......there's also a small creep factor with Mitt Romney too. He reminds me of the Jonas Brothers and their purity rings.......not of this world!

(Gee, there's about 43 original words and no cut & paste.....I hope I didn't overtax my brain :sick:)

To be honest with you I cannot think of any politician that does not have the creep factor. Think about the ego you must have to decide that you should be the person making decisions and plans for the masses. I normally vote for the person that wants to make fewer decisions or plans for me. My opinion is that Perry is mostly talk. It's possible I do not know enough about him and against Obama he would probably be the lesser of two evils but there is an opportunity to find a candidate that believes in a free nation.

av8torntn

As a victim of Romneycare , for which I am totally against, I would vote for him because of his religion.
I think a few mormons in gov't would change the face of DC.
Unlike the morons we currently have there.

Romney is just Obama dressed up in a Republican suit.