ridiculous turnover

working up a sweat

Where I work only 2 out of 50 quit a year of PT force on night shift. Bennies and getting into pension plan keeps a low turnover. Nobody vested ever quits here. They are too smart. The ones that quit have not met the 5 year vested mark.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hr here has to hire 5-10 people a week during non peak times to replace those that quit.
Yup....turnover is high. There are about 75 loaders in my building. Out of the 25 in my center....the top 3 in seniority (myself included) have worked there more than 5 years...the rest about a year or less.

TheFigurehead

We also have very low turnover in my center.

In my center... it really depends on how you look at it. Not alot of long time employees quit, but there is extremely high turnover when it comes to new hires. 75% of them never make it past there probation before they quit. Those that do almost never make it a year.

I work in the Retention Department in my hub and can tell you for a fact we are having the worst year ever on new hires. All the young kids fresh out of school that they are hiring have never worked a day in their lives. I had summer jobs growing up, my parents made me learn how to work, this generation has no idea. Every one of these "X-Box Generation" kids usually quit before the end of their probationary period or are terminated for attendance. We are usually done hiring for peak the first week of November, not this year. Looks like we will be hiring all peak long just to stay status quo, we will not make staffing for peak. Hang on for a wild ride in the hubs, it is not going to get any better.

TheFigurehead

I work in the Retention Department in my hub and can tell you for a fact we are having the worst year ever on new hires. All the young kids fresh out of school that they are hiring have never worked a day in their lives. I had summer jobs growing up, my parents made me learn how to work, this generation has no idea. Every one of these "X-Box Generation" kids usually quit before the end of their probationary period or are terminated for attendance. We are usually done hiring for peak the first week of November, not this year. Looks like we will be hiring all peak long just to stay status quo, we will not make staffing for peak. Hang on for a wild ride in the hubs, it is not going to get any better.

While I don't disagree with you to a degree... it's disingenuous to solely blame the "kids" for being lazy. What is UPS offering these temporary peak employees? Minimum wage, essentially. They won't get benefits, pensions, or even have a job in a few months... all for the honor of busting their butts for what they could earn doing next to nothing somewhere else. There are plenty of good reasons to work at UPS as a permanent employee... but there are almost none when it comes to being a seasonal package handler.

PT Car Washer

While I don't disagree with you to a degree... it's disingenuous to solely blame the "kids" for being lazy. What is UPS offering these temporary peak employees? Minimum wage, essentially. They won't get benefits, pensions, or even have a job in a few months... all for the honor of busting their butts for what they could earn doing next to nothing somewhere else. There are plenty of good reasons to work at UPS as a permanent employee... but there are almost none when it comes to being a seasonal package handler.
Pick up a few extra bucks without a long term commitment.

The Milkman

Chew them up then Spit them out :hangin: :youreright:

TheFigurehead

Pick up a few extra bucks without a long term commitment.

Sure, but lots of places have seasonal employment this time of year. Why work 5x harder at UPS when you could work at just about any retail store during the holidays doing almost nothing for the same, or better, pay? Every year that seasonal UPS job becomes less and less worth it, as the pay fails to reflect the work in any way. I can, at the very least, as a permanent employee, put in my time now, and see some benefit later. Take away the permanent position, the raises, vacation time, other opportunities in the company, the insurance, the pension... and there is no good reason to work that hard for $.25 over minimum wage.

Anyone with half a brain can do that math pretty quick... right off the bat they are excluding anyone with an IQ average or above... you are then left with the dregs of society. Why would anyone expect them to perform well? It only takes even the simplest of folks to come to the realization that they could be folding shirts or flipping burgers, not breaking a sweat (or their backs), in a clean, climate controlled, environment for $.50 more an hour.

I don't blame any seasonal employee for never showing up again after a day or two. Even as a permanent employee, the pay is insulting for the first few years... but you are paying your dues. The seasonal folks get the same beating, with none of benefits on the other side.

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
The first month is very difficult on most both physically, mentally, and financially. Remember, you have your "Union Initiation Dues" taken out of the first month of pay. That hurts a small part time paycheck. You are basically working a week for free the first month. Thereafter, you are hit with Union Dues monthly. A day or a Day and a half a month you work for free giving your money to the Union.

Aside from this, you have to work excessively hard in many positions. Pick-off will not be assigned to newbees. You'll probably get a Loader position, or Unloader if you are lucky. This stresses back, arms and legs. If you love to sweat, you'll love these positions!

I looked at them as a paid gym membership. That got me through when I wanted to quit.

For most, they work a few days and realize that ramping up to 450 scans per hour with a 10 minute break for a 4 hour shift is no picnic, so they quit.

I'm not surprised at the turn-over. Two choices, more people, or more pay. Lack of having to fork over union dues would be great, but that's pie in the sky thinking at present.

This holiday season is going to be ROUGH! We are in the middle of an online buying frenzy. And we don't have the peeps to handle the flow. Yikes!

Squint

No more work for me!
Where I work only 2 out of 50 quit a year of PT force on night shift. Bennies and getting into pension plan keeps a low turnover. Nobody vested ever quits here. They are too smart. The ones that quit have not met the 5 year vested mark.

You should check on that pension for your PT work, it ain"t all that believe me.