ridiculous turnover

PT Car Washer

You should check on that pension for your PT work, it ain"t all that believe me.

$2100 a month after 35 years is not bad. Better than a lot of FT jobs if they even have a pension. I agree you will need another source of income to live comfortably but that is why it is called "Retirement Planning".

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I recall that back in the 80's , we used to see HR giving tours to possible new hires during our shift .
Someone would always count the number in the group , ( x ) .
So when the new hires started the next night , we would call who ever showed up as 1 of x .

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
I can understand package handler turnover.

If you are PT, you start at $8.50 an hour. Not great compared to, say. Lowes.
You have to pay your Union Initiation Dues in your first four paychecks. Roughly $38 a paycheck.
You have to buy Steel Toed Shoes or Boots. If you are smart, you are going to buy something comfortable. Roughly $45. $25 if you go cheap but your feet will pay for it.

So first paycheck at roughly 18 hours X $8.50 = $153
Less FICA and various other taxes approx = ($53)
Less Union Dues = ($38)
--------------
Net Paycheck after first grueling week average= $62

Less Gas To and from Work AVERAGE National= ($20)
Less Steel Toe Workboots (on the cheap) = ($25)
-----------------

First WeekSpendable Income after all expenses = $17

You have to be in VERY GOOD SHAPE not to be super sore or so tired at the end of the shift you can't walk to your car. Especially if you are a loader and have power-loaded for a few hours that night.

Would you do this for less than $1.00 an hour spendable income for your first hard week?

And you wonder why there is high turnover.

working up a sweat

What other PT job in the private sector gives you a pension and bennies? I make 7500 a year at UPS. Over 7 years vested(8500 a year in pension built up). Health benefits worth over 18,000 a year for family plan. This job is worth all that! Take the 10 to 12 hours a week I work, do the math. Comes to well over 30 dollars an hour compensation. Every night I show up, the pension gets bigger.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
What other PT job in the private sector gives you a pension and bennies? I make 7500 a year at UPS. Over 7 years vested(8500 a year in pension built up). Health benefits worth over 18,000 a year for family plan. This job is worth all that! Take the 10 to 12 hours a week I work, do the math. Comes to well over 30 dollars an hour compensation. Every night I show up, the pension gets bigger.
10 hours a week? Wow...on a slow february preload, i'll still get 19 hrs....but agree the pension and benefits are well worth it.

RockinRobin

I'm not disputing the pension and bennies. For sure, they are excellent for a PT gig.

I'm answering why the high turnover. Most newbies won't stick when thrown into a freezing or boiling trailer and then loading for four hours with a 10 minute break, especially when they bring home less then $1.00 an hour spendable their first week, after dues, steel toed shoes, gas, and FICA/Taxes.
In another thread, one of the Stewards was stating that his Local waived the initiation fee for PT workers. That would be a huge perk. Our local does not.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I'm not disputing the pension and bennies. For sure, they are excellent for a PT gig.

I'm answering why the high turnover. Most newbies won't stick when thrown into a freezing or boiling trailer and then loading for four hours with a 10 minute break, especially when they bring home less then $1.00 an hour spendable their first week, after dues, steel toed shoes, gas, and FICA/Taxes.
In another thread, one of the Stewards was stating that his Local waived the initiation fee for PT workers. That would be a huge perk. Our local does not.

Your logic is flawed .
Steel toed boots are useless .
For a new hire a good set of broken in work shoes will do .
So 17 + 25 = 42 .

RandomDrone

My two cents as a seasonal loader: I was cut today literally ten minutes after the belts started. I have a 20 minute commute each way and ALWAYS show up 15 minutes early so I essentially spent an hour to make what won't even cover gas. Since I want to try and survive the post peak season cuts. I don't want to step on any toes and I'm sure I'll get all the hours I can handle once peak really hits I don't complain but it's wearing on me already: especially because I suspect that my odds of actually getting hired permanently are low. Basically from a "big picture" standpoint: I feel like I'm just going to get chewed up and spit out no matter what I do. Hence: turnover.

RockinRobin

Our Hub requires Steel Toe. It's mandatory.

Most new hires rarely if ever have them "just lying around" so they have to buy them.

How is this logic flawed?

I've seen new hires quit during orientation when they were told to show up with steel toe, and did not. The H.R. Admin says, "Where are your steel toes?"
New hire says, "I don't have any"
HR Says "They are Mandatory. You need to buy some before we can let you in the warehouse"
New Hire says, "I can't afford them"
And then leaves.

Sad, but true.

PT Car Washer

I believe our hub and preload only require stiff leather shoes. No leather tennis shoes. Although you will see them if you look. The hub used to have some stupid leather girl shoes for those who came to work with improper foot wear. Never heard anything about steel toes being required.

upschuck

Our hub requires shoes/boots with a sturdy polishable leather upper and non slip soles. The rest is up to you. Don't know why polishable is needed for people in the hub, but guess it is to keep it uniform among all employees. You can polish anything.

PT Car Washer

Our hub requires shoes/boots with a sturdy polishable leather upper and non slip soles. The rest is up to you. Don't know why polishable is needed for people in the hub, but guess it is to keep it uniform among all employees. You can polish anything.

Thanks Upchuck. That is our hubs policy also.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
My two cents as a seasonal loader: I was cut today literally ten minutes after the belts started. I have a 20 minute commute each way and ALWAYS show up 15 minutes early so I essentially spent an hour to make what won't even cover gas. Since I want to try and survive the post peak season cuts. I don't want to step on any toes and I'm sure I'll get all the hours I can handle once peak really hits I don't complain but it's wearing on me already: especially because I suspect that my odds of actually getting hired permanently are low. Basically from a "big picture" standpoint: I feel like I'm just going to get chewed up and spit out no matter what I do. Hence: turnover.

Were you punched-in when you were sent home? Do you have seniority?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yup....that's pretty accurate. And if it's wearing on you already, might I suggest a career change?

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Were you punched-in when you were sent home? Do you have seniority?

working up a sweat

I work in an air hub. The 3.5 hour guarantee is credited to health and pension when you punch in. You only get paid for time worked here. That is how our local contract is written. Some nights the sort only runs about an hour and a half. I work an average about 10 to 12 hours a week. The hours pick up in November and December.