Road Test for Package Car Driver

Tortuga

I AM THE MiLKMAN
Hello everyone I’ve been with the company for over a year now and I just got a text message today saying I’m eligible for 22.4 driving in a city around me. They told me to come in tomorrow and take a road test. Any tips on how to pass it? Is it hard at all? I haven’t had much time to study and never driven a truck that big before lol. Biggest thing I’ve driven was a old Tahoe. Thank you!

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Hello everyone I’ve been with the company for over a year now and I just got a text message today saying I’m eligible for 22.4 driving in a city around me. They told me to come in tomorrow and take a road test. Any tips on how to pass it? Is it hard at all? I haven’t had much time to study and never driven a truck that big before lol. Biggest thing I’ve driven was a old Tahoe. Thank you!
In an automatic?

freehoodies

It's super easy to drive the Package cars. I had no experience and it was easy. Just that you have to break earlier and do wide turns.
To add on to this, aim the outside front tire to the end of the lane you are getting into.

If its a tight turn off a main road, dont be afraid to stop in the middle of the road and wait if you need to. Its your road. :censored2: anyone behind you, if they are running late thats on them.

Sir-Lifts-A-Lot

I like big trucks and I can not lie...
Use your horn when backing, make visible head movements to scan intersections left, right, left. Don't hit a curb, a vehicle, or a pedestrian.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In an automatic?
This generation of young drivers can't even shave without crying, you want them to use a clutch?

25135943GAqAo5TO.gif

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
Do everything and anything you have to to get in the Union. Once in the Union you have a Contract that gives you a lot of protection. Once in the Union remember that at one time the Company had agreed to everything in it (they have short memories).

Zowert

As mentioned before, wide turns. If you have to take up half the lane next to you to make a tight right hand turn then do it, just be sure that lane is clear and you signal. We had a guy take out a crosswalk sign while doing his driver test last year, he didn’t swing wide enough.

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist
I just took this two weeks ago. That PC will seem like a semi the first time you drive it. Each day it gets less wide. I work preload but rode with the driver on my route during peak. I listened to everything he said and did well. I have not been to school yet, but these are the basics that helped me. 1. Adjust mirrors. 2. Seatbelt before anything. 3. Maintain a safe distance behind the vehicle in front of you. 4. When stopped, always leave a PC length between you and the vehicle ahead of you. 5. Always pull the parking break when stopped for any extended period of time. 6. If first at intersection wait 2-3 seconds after light changes before going through the intersection. 7. Always honk when driving through the parking lot and when backing up. 8. Always have your blinkers on when on the lot. I know there is much more, but those are the things I learned during peak. Good luck man!