Road Test Tips

MDX91

1. Know the basics of driving stick.
The 5 speed in the package cars is pretty forgiving, more forgiving than most manual cars, but you have to know the basics. Also, the throw distance is probably going to be a lot farther than you're used to, but like I said, very forgiving.

2. You're driving a behemoth of a truck for the first time. Be aware of your size, but don't overcompensate. They'll mark you for lane observance for driving too close to the right, which to me seemed as though I was centered. Basically, hug the left lane line and you'll be centered well.

3. The turn signals won't shut themselves off after a turn.

4. Make sure you're shifting before rpm gets too high.

5. Honk a lot when driving inside the center's lot. I honked twice at every bay door and every blind corner and plenty while backing and they still marked me for it.

6. Ask HR to schedule your driver observation before your road test. It'll help you get familiar with the feel of the truck a little and your driver will probably have some good info for you if you ask. And if you're lucky and already scheduled for integrad, maybe just maybe the tester will feel a little bit of pressure to pass you assuming you don't blatantly blow the test.

7. Never had to park or start up on a hill, but if you do, the parking brake is how you do it.

8. If you're just starting out at UPS, and want to drive, sell your automatic and buy a stick. Just do it. Once you're scheduled for the road test, it's too late to learn adequately.

9. Oh. Make sure if you're stopped at a light to keep it in gear, clutch in, and parking brake on. Have to be in gear for red lights, railroad tracks, and turns. Don't change gears through railroad tracks, turns, or through intersections.

10. My tester wrote down 8 miles for the road test, but it was probably 1 or 2. Literally just out of the center and up the main road to the first light that took us back.

11. Idk. Anyone else have any tips?

A good thread on the topic is here: Road Test Question

Last edited:

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
Just drive the :censored2:ing thing and you'll be fine.

I killed it 3 times and hit 2 curbs, and thought stopping as close as I could to the car ahead of me at a stoplight was something to impress my instructor with.

Still passed with room to spare.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
Hopefully you are making a poor attempt at being humorous.

Dude the tests you have to pass until you have to "make scratch" are nothing less than a gosh darn joke.

I've taken the driver school classes twice and of all the people I've seen I thought to myself maybe 2 of the 20 could become drivers EXCLUDING myself. The preparation compared to the expectation is :censored2:ing insanity

Dude the tests you have to pass until you have to "make scratch" are nothing less than a gosh darn joke.

I've taken the driver school class twice and if all the people I've seen I thought to myself maybe 2 of the 20 could become drivers EXCLUDING myself. The preparation compared to the expectation is :censored2:ing insanity
I've been doing this a long time. DeiviDr is no joke,you can't blink for a second when you are behind the wheel.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
I've been doing this a long time. DeiviDr is no joke,you can't blink for a second when you are behind the wheel.
What I'm telling you is I was perfect on my 5s but when it came to my 10s the instructor basically said them FOR me and passed me.

And I work pt with a relatively large hub.

I know driving isn't a joke, but the way ups prepares you for it is closer to one of Bill Burr's stand-ups

Box Ox

I've taken the driver school classes twice and of all the people I've seen I thought to myself maybe 2 of the 20 could become drivers EXCLUDING myself. The preparation compared to the expectation is :censored2:ing insanity

Do your legs still look like they just got back from a 1 year tour of duty on the International Space Station or have you been putting some real work in?

What I'm telling you is I was perfect on my 5s but when it came to my 10s the instructor basically said them FOR me and passed me.

And I work pt with a relatively large hub.

I know driving isn't a joke, but the way ups prepares you for it is closer to one of Bill Burr's stand-ups
The only thing that will prepare you for this job is begbeh the wheel experience. You can say the 5 &10's forward and backwards, it doesn't malean :censored2: if you don't apply them when you are behind the wheel.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
The only thing that will prepare you for this job is begbeh the wheel experience. You can say the 5 &10's forward and backwards, it doesn't malean :censored2: if you don't apply them when you are behind the wheel.
Which is true, but means less if the company's hr rep that hired you cares less if you know them or not