Rockhounder's club (on topic)

I enjoy getting out in nature, but I also like to be doing something to really get the full outdoor experience. This thread is for anyone who likes to get out and look for cool rocks. Discuss your methodology, favorite types of rocks and locations for searching, post pics of your favorite finds.

To get started, I like to walk rivers and streams, do a little snorkeling, comb gravel bars. Mostly find agates, jaspers and petrified wood, some quartz crystals from time to time. Here's a few of the pics I just happen to have on my device at the moment.

View attachment 212694

On the left is what I believe to be a holly blue agate, next to a redish stained agate for contrast.

View attachment 212695

Top left is a piece of red carnelian agate, the rest are sunstone feldspar crystals.

More to follow....
My wife loves Beach glass.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Have you seen that new yooperlite some dude in Mich discovered? Glows under ultraviolet light.

There are a lot of minerals that glow with a black light and uv. It's one way to help identify different minerals. The glowing is usually caused by phospherous or fluorine compounds in the mineral. I've read that sapphires and emeralds fluoresce.

rod

Retired 22 years
This means nothing to me
Wtf is a ‘yooper?’ Lol

Yoopers are people who live in the Upper part of Michigan---the UP. If they had their way they would become their own state. Look at a map of Mich. ---the state is made up of 2 separate land masses. I can't blame them for not wanting to be associated with Detroit- Flint or any of the other scumbag cities to the south.

oldngray

nowhere special
There are a lot of minerals that glow with a black light and uv. It's one way to help identify different minerals. The glowing is usually caused by phospherous or fluorine compounds in the mineral. I've read that sapphires and emeralds fluoresce.

Sapphires, emeralds and rubies are all corundum.

oldngray

nowhere special
Yoopers are people who live in the Upper part of Michigan---the UP. If they had their way they would become their own state. Look at a map of Mich. ---the state is made up of 2 separate land masses. I can't blame them for not wanting to be associated with Detroit- Flint or any of the other scumbag cities to the south.
They are more Canada than they are Michigan.

rod

Retired 22 years

You know what else does when sprayed with luminal and lit with a black light. Bodily fluids.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Nothing special to anyone else. But here's a handful of stones my sweet mama recently brought home from a trip to the motherland (Poland)
28315.jpeg

oldngray

nowhere special
Emeralds are green beryl, and are more related to aquamarine, which is blue beryl. Rubies are red corundum, all other colors are referred to as sapphire.
Oops. You are right. Rubies and sapphires are corundum and emeralds and aquamarine are beryls.

My daughter likes beach/river glass, and she really wants to find some arrowheads. I've given her every piece that looks like it might have been an arrowhead, but I have yet to find a complete one.
I found some when I was a kid, dont what happened to them we used to go digging and find lots of cool stuff .

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
20180916_154624.jpg
20180916_154558.jpg

This is two pics of the same rock, I believe it to be Alaskan jade, my dad brought it back with him when he took a trip up there.
20180916_153246.jpg

Same rock, just trying some different lighting conditions to get some good pics.