Rockhounder's club (on topic)

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Looks like coal to me

That was one of my thoughts as well. Could not get it to light, actually got it red hot with no ignition. It is also much harder than coal, which is around a 2 - 3 on the mohs scale, whereas this is a 6-7. I narrowed it down to a pyroxene or amphibole group mineral, which some are almost indistinguishable from one another. I settled on amphibole due to the cleavage angles.

That was one of my thoughts as well. Could not get it to light, actually got it red hot with no ignition. It is also much harder than coal, which is around a 2 - 3 on the mohs scale, whereas this is a 6-7. I narrowed it down to a pyroxene or amphibole group mineral, which some are almost indistinguishable from one another. I settled on amphibole due to the cleavage angles.
I completely agree with you

oldngray

nowhere special
chert?

This was the first time I had to work that hard on identfying a rock. Most of the minerals I look for and find are pretty obvious. I've known about hardness testing, but I learned a lot more about mineral identifying through this process. Even learned how to determine specific gravity.
Then you do know that Gold and titanium and same specific gravity

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
You seem to know way more then me on this subject so I’ll have to take your word for it.