Rod's old tyme UPS

rod

Retired 22 years
Your first package car?

No---but I did drive one similar to this for my first peak. It was a real thrill to drive--about all you could do to keep it between the ditches.
IMG_1008.JPG

oldngray

nowhere special
If I recall it had re-capped snow tires all the way around until someone informed the mechanic that they thought it was against DOT regulations to run re-caps on the front.

At one time UPS couldn't put recaps on front but either the law changed or UPS found a loophole. They started putting them on front and I think they could get away with it because the routes didn't run enough miles or something.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
One of our drivers had a package one Christmas that was addressed Grandpa and Grandma and the name of the small town (pop about 2,500). That's all that was on the package-no street address or name other than a return address and last name. After asking lots of people if they knew a so and so who lived in what ever town he finally found someone who knew that their neighbors had relatives who lived there. That's SERVICE---that part of UPS is gone and its not the drivers fault.
That used to be the norm, not the exception.

rod

Retired 22 years
First pkg car I ever drove looked like that. I am lucky to have survived the thing was a death trap. Manual brakes that were either off or locked up
1966 Ford straight 6 geared way to high I was 22 years old drove that pos like I stole it

I know what you mean. I could do things on ice with my old P-600 that todays professional drifters would envy.