Rookie (1/2yr) Ft Permanent

TXupser3000

hey brothers & sisters,
I somehow managed to get hired on full time RPCD and Am trying to navigate 2021 peak season. Im trying to stay grateful for the opportunity, but feel a bit isolated, at my center/hub. I come from a bartending background, so I was really used being surrounded by customers/coworkers all shift. I’ve tried taking the initiative and converse with fellow drivers, pre-shift. But, it’s almost as if I’m invisible or not up-to-par, enough, to interact with. I don’t know if I should keep to myself, up at ups or keep trying to make other drivers like or acknowledge me. Any advice?

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
hey brothers & sisters,
I somehow managed to get hired on full time RPCD and Am trying to navigate 2021 peak season. Im trying to stay grateful for the opportunity, but feel a bit isolated, at my center/hub. I come from a bartending background, so I was really used being surrounded by customers/coworkers all shift. I’ve tried taking the initiative and converse with fellow drivers, pre-shift. But, it’s almost as if I’m invisible or not up-to-par, enough, to interact with. I don’t know if I should keep to myself, up at ups or keep trying to make other drivers like or acknowledge me. Any advice?
It’s peak dude. We are all tired grouchy and hungry. Kindly * and put these 20 stops in your rental

Last edited by a moderator:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
hey brothers & sisters,

There is usually not much time to get to know people. I have better relationships with my customers than coworkers, but that takes time, and is easier to do when you get your own route.

Good advice. Slowly learning. As a full timer, can they put and keep me in a uhaul? I’m used to it, but It makes me feel less-than compared to other drivers
It's not a dick measuring device, it's a package car. They can keep you in a rental as long as they like. As long as they're paying you appropriately, they're doing you right.

Relax bro, you have a long way to go in this game. It's just a job, you're not here to make friends. Would it be nice? Maybe, but shouldn't be your goal. Once you hit RPCD you've "made it" and you're "one of us." Focus on the next four years and get to top rate, then put it on cruise control.

TXupser3000

Are you sure you are permanent and not seasonal? There is usually not much time to get to know people. I have better relationships with my customers than coworkers, but that takes time, and is easier to do when you get your own route.

Attachments

• E9D25B1D-F3FA-4520-8629-4D2045CCA1EB.jpeg
    E9D25B1D-F3FA-4520-8629-4D2045CCA1EB.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 81

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yeah, it's a lonesome job mostly, suits me fine, though. I'm not the type to show up an hour early, so I rarely have time to chat it up with anyone.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Let that door up on the rental...

Stay down there...

I'm going to toss you these 40 stops real quick.

On topic.

Helping.

Not the same excellent helpful insight @Just A UPS Guy provided...

But still helping.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Good advice. Slowly learning. As a full timer, can they put and keep me in a uhaul? I’m used to it, but It makes me feel less-than compared to other drivers

No offense dude but you are less than. You are at the bottom of the list. They can put you in a rental for 14 hours every day if they want.

The good news is you are set as far as pay and benefits. All you have to do now is put your head down and put your time in. The veteran drivers will start talking to you once they’ve seen you around for a year or more. Any less and they expect you to disappear at any moment.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Let that door up on the rental...

Stay down there...

I'm going to toss you these 40 stops real quick.

On topic.

Helping.

Not the same excellent helpful insight @Just A UPS Guy provided...

But still helping.
“You want me to call you when I’m done to get more?”
Nope. Message the center. Have them set up a meet point and message us the time/place
Freakin rookie

JustDeliverIt

hey brothers & sisters,

First, if your profile pic is you change it to one that is not you.

Next, a lot of good advice above. This is a solitary job and built for someone who is comfortable alone. You will have interactions with your customers but they are brief. Most of the time it is you, it’s doesn’t work for everyone.

You will get to know your coworkers, but everyone is overworked and you are new. Most people wait to see if your around a year to bother to learn your name much less talk to you. Going to take time. Having a bid route will help once the time comes.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
hey brothers & sisters,
You will be a rookie for a while and then you won't be. Try to mingle with other new drivers and mentor the ones that come after you. Sports is always a good subject to break the ice.
Good luck.
Read and know your contract*

Whither

Scofflaw
That's the right job code. Hang in there. You'll get acquainted with your coworkers if you stick around.

Learn the contract and find out when your local membership meetings are. Make a point of attending. Some of the best conversations I've had with fellow drivers have happened in the parking lot after the union meeting. Like others, I rarely show up more than 10-15 minutes before start time. In my experience most people who show early either have their minds on work and take this job too seriously or, worse, are actually working off the clock (loading, sorting, talking shop with the dispatcher or their supe).

Karma...

as long as it has the dot placard affixed to the vehicle its a ups one.....when management and temps uses their own cars that placard also has to be attached.......otherwise you must inform your own insurance company that you are using your personal vehicle for business.