Routes dispatched by driver, not route.

jaker

trolling
I like to keep them on their toes , they know I can do 130 and be done at 4 so when they bump my stops over 130 i get off at 7

I have watch them play with my stops to see what I will do in a day to go home , but I keep coming in at different times with different stops

balland chain

I learned a long time ago, the more you give the more they will take.. if you are a cover driver, do no more than the regular driver. I would always check with the regular driver to see how many stops and what time he/she would punch.. I would use that as a guide and do no more than them, if possible and punch out as close to the same time as they did.. Of course on heavy/light days that would change..I quit trying to understand the logic of the sups.. it is all numbers to them anyway.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Absolutely. It is the driver who makes the stops per day. I bid on an area. Other driver did 110 with no lunch. Helped satellite area load their truck. Done at 7. I came. Got it to 85. Done at 7. They cancelled satellite. Now I can do 100 by 7. Scratch most days. Best telematics in building. Best thing is I don't try too. Methods kill them. All by itself.:-)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This kind of reminds me of something I tell all the drivers I talk to. Typical question we all get is.. So how is bobs route? Should I bid on it? My reply is always the same. Each route is what each individual driver makes it. If u run and gun your gonna end up with more stops everyday. If u work by the methods take lunch and file 9.5 you can get any route down to a decent day.

balland chain

No matter what job we have at UPS, if we follow the methods we will get the time honestly ... funny how some drivers try to cut corners to get to their next pick up/stop..I am in feeders and do the job EXACTLY how I am suppose to.. I never ever stray from the methods and since they came down on us about them I have picked up an extra 30-45 minutes daily.. That is what working by the methods has done for me and my savings....plus, I know MGMT will never come to me about not working by the methods...it only sucks when it is raining and I am post-tripping all the pick up trailers I come in with ..

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I LOVE killing them with their own methods. :laughing:

I try to deliver like this every day, I pretend that I'm being OJS'D by our Division Manager and stick VERY TIGHT to the methods. They tell you to use all their methods, while giving you 200+ stops and wanting all the pickup volume back to the hub by a certain time.

When will they learn?

happybob

Feeders
You don't need to know how JoeBillyBob does the route. You don't need to know how long it takes SallyMayMary to get the route done. You have the tools to do the job the same every single day, on every single route, its called Methods. Follow them, and you get done when they say you should get done. Overallowed, underallowed, none of it matters. All that matter is you follow their methods and you will be done when they want you to be done. Cut corners, run to the stop and back to the package care/tractor/shifter, skip your lunch and breaks and you are screwing yourself out of a fair days pay for your fair days work. Do yourself a favor and follow their methods and watch how fast they will fix your route/run standards if in fact they are not correct to begin with.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You don't need to know how JoeBillyBob does the route. You don't need to know how long it takes SallyMayMary to get the route done. You have the tools to do the job the same every single day, on every single route, its called Methods. Follow them, and you get done when they say you should get done. Overallowed, underallowed, none of it matters. All that matter is you follow their methods and you will be done when they want you to be done. Cut corners, run to the stop and back to the package care/tractor/shifter, skip your lunch and breaks and you are screwing yourself out of a fair days pay for your fair days work. Do yourself a favor and follow their methods and watch how fast they will fix your route/run standards if in fact they are not correct to begin with.
Ooooh my aching ash......................

You are right about a couple of things. Over/unders don't matter and the fair days pay.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I had a split driver say to me once, "how come you don't get as much work as I do when I do your route"? I said, "cause I take my lunch, and break off to do it, no matter what is going on".

I think the union should monitor working on the clock more. Gee, maybe they would have to add some extra drivers?

TxRoadDawg

From what I understand about the system it should take about 2 minutes to change it. Since they love to send drivers to integrad. Why not have some type of two week training for all dispatchers. Before you take the job you go away for some training so u actually have some clue what your doing.
Because corporate and IE want to micro manage every tweak to every loop. Hell I bet they screamed for action plans in Boston to get back on track after the bombers got caught on the dispatch calls

curiousbrain

Fixing things on routes is also a little more complex then clicking a few buttons.

When I was a belt soup, I would get all the complaints from the drivers about an address that "doesn't really go here", and things of that nature - so, I read all the help files on DMS and after checking with the PDS, drew up a list of manual add/cuts I would do in the morning to make sure things were where they should be.

A little more complex, though, is that DMS runs off the actual dispatch plan drawn up by the PDS (I forget the acronym for that system at the moment) - so, whenever DMS is restarted (which is every day, sometimes several times a day), it rereads the dispatch plan and reassigns all the work back to the "wrong" spots. To actually fix this, you have to change the dispatch plans.

A little more complex, though, is that the dispatch plan is based on the route loops set up by IE - and I can't speak for larger centers, but for the smaller ones such as I work in, the loops have literally not been touched in twenty years; suffice to say, a lot has changed since then. So, what this translates to in reality, is that when you try to cut address ranges in the dispatch plan, it refers back to the loops and drags a whole bunch of other stops that shouldn't go with it. Maybe there are ways around this that I'm not aware of, as I'm not a PDS - but whenever I've fiddled with the dispatch plans and talked with the PDS, this is what I always hear about.

My understanding as well is that Orion makes the PDS' job much, much worse.

browniehound

I used to be an All-Star myself, torching routes daily and running, jumping on and off the truck. All that gets you is a sore body and an extra 10 stops the next day.

Now my concerns are:
#1 No Accidents or Injuries
#2 Complete following of ALL methods
#3 Servicing Customers
#4 Staying Professional at all times
#5 My finish time/ UPS' arbitrary numbers

My experience is you don't need to do any of those unsafe behaviors to get the route done. I've noticed it doesn't get you anywhere but injured. I'm sure speeding and running will get it done faster but its not worth it. If you're interested in finishing early its better to work smarter and more efficentlty than just hauling asz.

So, I have run the same route for the last 2 days, and it's a pretty nice route in a slightly upscale area. On Thursday I did 203 stops and 94 miles and punched out at around 640, yesterday I did 213 stops, 109 miles and punched out at 940. I was giving our PDS a hard time about it and he said "that route wasn't meant for you, it was meant for Bill".

Why can't they just dispatch a route the same no matter who runs it? Since one driver is better, we're going to screw him and have him out all night? This logic seems inherently wrong.
Because runners who break the rules and get done at all cost to get in early will always get these dispatches. Ups is smart in one facet as giving as much work as they can to a runner is a good business model. It's like gambling. They are betting (hoping) that these runners don't seriously hurt someone in exchange for hoping they (UPS) meet their numbers.

Last edited:
Because runners who break the rules and get done at all cost to get in early will always get these dispatches. Ups is smart in one facet as giving as much work as they can to a runner is a good business model. It's like gambling. They are betting (hoping) that these runners don't seriously hurt someone in exchange for hoping them (UPS) meet their numbers.
Ill do the route ...I love hitting the MISSED button ,,,then filing an excessive overtime grievance....Ill knock that route down by 50 stops!!! and make another fulltime job for my brothers or sisters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrownArmy

A little more complex, though, is that the dispatch plan is based on the route loops set up by IE - and I can't speak for larger centers, but for the smaller ones such as I work in, the loops have literally not been touched in twenty years; suffice to say, a lot has changed since then. So, what this translates to in reality, is that when you try to cut address ranges in the dispatch plan, it refers back to the loops and drags a whole bunch of other stops that shouldn't go with it. Maybe there are ways around this that I'm not aware of, as I'm not a PDS - but whenever I've fiddled with the dispatch plans and talked with the PDS, this is what I always hear about.

This.

We had a rock-star dispatcher who just got transferred - he was the bomb.

He explained to me that in order to change that 'one dick address' that was wrong, he would need to go in and change not only the route, but all other 'split' route plans that included that address.

In and of itself, maybe a short, annoying bit of work.

But the dispatcher is waaaaay to busy putting fires out etc. etc. to actually fix the problems before they multiplied.

No one has the time.

It's ironic...if they put someone on for a week to fix all these minor problems in the DOL's, the company would be paid back ten-fold in six months.

And now add ORION into the mix...garbage in, garbage out.

Oh well.

DS

Fenderbender
Why can't they just dispatch a route the same no matter who runs it? Since one driver is better, we're going to screw him and have him out all night? This logic seems inherently wrong.
Think about it.It's probably only your building doing this.They know who will run it fastest.
They don't care how.
I really believe that area knowledge is everything.Methods yea,but,knowing who to see and where to go is everything.
What shortcuts to take,if there's a traffic jam.What you can bang off if you are on the same street while doing commits.
Cover drivers like my route because I take my full break every day.I don't care if they cheat and do it faster.
At 2:15 PM every day I stop and take 45 minutes at least.I take the rest later and get a coffee at Timmys.
Anyone that does not take their break is a misguided fool.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
That would not be up to the union.

If not the union, who? I don't think the company cares if guys are skipping lunch, working off the clock. The BA should meet these "runners" for lunch. Maybe they need some personal guidance on union methods?

Can the union actually pull an union card?

TxRoadDawg

Fixing things on routes is also a little more complex then clicking a few buttons.

When I was a belt soup, I would get all the complaints from the drivers about an address that "doesn't really go here", and things of that nature - so, I read all the help files on DMS and after checking with the PDS, drew up a list of manual add/cuts I would do in the morning to make sure things were where they should be.

A little more complex, though, is that DMS runs off the actual dispatch plan drawn up by the PDS (I forget the acronym for that system at the moment) - so, whenever DMS is restarted (which is every day, sometimes several times a day), it rereads the dispatch plan and reassigns all the work back to the "wrong" spots. To actually fix this, you have to change the dispatch plans.

My understanding as well is that Orion makes the PDS' job much, much worse.

there is a way, you make a dummy street with no loop assignment. match it to the one you want to change and delete the assignment to the real street. now you can change its loop and dol order plus that sector or whatever the last 2 digits by the loop are. other option if the street is in the loop already just move its position in the dol.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
there is a way, you make a dummy street with no loop assignment. match it to the one you want to change and delete the assignment to the real street. now you can change its loop and dol order plus that sector or whatever the last 2 digits by the loop are. other option if the street is in the loop already just move its position in the dol.

Either way it requires time and more importantly effort to fix these problems.