rumors!

ManInBrown

Question as long as we are on this topic. Frequently during the months of Jan,Feb, and Mar drivers in my center are dispatched to another center about 40 miles away that is always short on service providers. In this practice, is it company seniority on who goes, or building seniority? I don't have a lot of people below me on the company seniority side. But if I add in building seniority I should be pretty safe in not having to go. We've had a bunch of transfers in the last 12-18 months.

CHALLY9TX

Question as long as we are on this topic. Frequently during the months of Jan,Feb, and Mar drivers in my center are dispatched to another center about 40 miles away that is always short on service providers. In this practice, is it company seniority on who goes, or building seniority? I don't have a lot of people below me on the company seniority side. But if I add in building seniority I should be pretty safe in not having to go. We've had a bunch of transfers in the last 12-18 months.

Goes by center seniority and not company seniority.

oldngray

nowhere special
grammar nazi comfort.jpg

govols019

You smell that?
My humble opinion is that seniority should apply local wide. For example in my local, which recently added more buildings, there are certain buildings that are allowed to "borrow" drivers and feeder drivers from each other but in the rest of the local it's not allowed. Also...like I've mentioned numerous times throughout the year....the hub gets to perform the other buildings' feeder work in addition to their own but the reverse isn't allowed. Why not just open everything up to the entire local instead of catering to certain buildings?

Do you realize, especially now, just how big of an area the Local covers?

Overpaid Union Thug

Do you realize, especially now, just how big of an area the Local covers?
Yes we absorbed a rather small local and it pushed our area (in terms of miles) farther west. If things were like what I suggested I don't believe it would be as complicated as I think you are suggesting. It seems to work in other areas that do it that way. I would want it set up in a way that keeps a driver from getting bumped out of one building and the result would be him/her having to commute to the other side of the local to work in another. It wouldn't be right for a driver, feeder driver, etc. that works in Whites Creek to get bumped out of their center and end up having to bid into Paris or Tullahoma. There is at least one local somewhere that allows crap like that. Thats what I've read on this forum anyway.

I would make it to where vacated package, feeder, and 22.3 positions would be bid locally and newly created positions (package, feeder, 22.3s) would be too. But the route bidding procedure wouldn't apply locally. I'm sure you can probably spot at least one whole in this theory but that doesn't mean there isn't a way to make something similar work.

The way our local does things now is definitely a cluster **** and it is blatantly done that way to benefit one building. And that needs to stop.