Runner Gunner Driving a Car for Days with Diesel Fuel Leak

S

serenity now

I've wondered if sometimes the DVIR book disappears after a serious accident when the management people show up on scene.
Just for safekeeping , mind you.

bbsam

Staff member
Isn't the DVIR for DOT compliance? If so, I believe it says something like "no visible leaks". A vehicle sitting over night may leave a small puddle of oil and still be in compliance. If when pulled over for a couple minutes it leaks visibly its also problematic. But the mechanic may be well within guidelines sending the vehicle out but management should have overruled based on the fumes.

Marne Vet

Got to my first stop of the day, and my starter went. Called my sup and he asked me if I could get it running. There was a tow truck behind me so I asked him if he could give me a little push to pop the clutch. Once I had the vehicle started my sup asked me if there was anyway I could do my trip and just leave the truck running all day. Yes, he asked me if I could LEAVE THE TRUCK RUNNING ALL DAY. He didn't want to come out with another 1000 and move the work, or lose the time. His solution was to leave the vehicle running all day long. He is no longer a sup. Unbelievable what management does at times regardless of safety, or the rules.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Got to my first stop of the day, and my starter went. Called my sup and he asked me if I could get it running. There was a tow truck behind me so I asked him if he could give me a little push to pop the clutch. Once I had the vehicle started my sup asked me if there was anyway I could do my trip and just leave the truck running all day. Yes, he asked me if I could LEAVE THE TRUCK RUNNING ALL DAY. He didn't want to come out with another 1000 and move the work, or lose the time. His solution was to leave the vehicle running all day long. He is no longer a sup. Unbelievable what management does at times regardless of safety, or the rules.

He also was trying to save the company from having to pay several hundred dollars to tow the car back to the building.
I've had the same thing happen. Has the starter go out and rolled it down a hill to pop the clutch and the sup asked me to have it running all day. No problem.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
He also was trying to save the company from having to pay several hundred dollars to tow the car back to the building.
I've had the same thing happen. Has the starter go out and rolled it down a hill to pop the clutch and the sup asked me to have it running all day. No problem.

If you're so inclined and you have a rock or a hammer handy, a friendly little rap on the starter will frequently get the starter to work again for a while.

FilingBluesFL

I think we may all have had this one lol

I also once had a starter that wouldn't stop "starting." Called supervisor "Don't turn the car off, just keep going..."

At lunch, had a couple loop mates meet me for lunch, one parked in front, one parked behind. No biggie lol Burned it out nice and good.

Re-Raise

If you're so inclined and you have a rock or a hammer handy, a friendly little rap on the starter will frequently get the starter to work again for a while.

First question the mechanic asks me when I have a problem on road is "what tools do you have with you? I 'll talk you through it.".