Runners......

UPS Lifer

We offered to take time off to allow the laid off drivers to work more than one day a week and UPS will not let us.

They are younger, faster and cheaper. They still said no. We even offered to not take sick days so they are not double paying. Still said no.

When your leaders heads are in the sand what do you expect.

The only reason I can see why management wouldn't like that is if that guy doesn't work all that week they don't have to make H&W contributions for them.
UpState, I commend you for helping your fellow driver get work days.

I happen to agree with trplnkl. This leads me to believe that the company feels this is a long term depression of our economy. They must make the necessary cuts to sustain the business.

It is hard to understand (layoffs) when you know the names and faces of the people and the families that are affected. The people steering the ship only see numbers and $$$. Those who have owned a business and have had to layoff those who they consider family know the pain in doing so.

The toughest decisions a business owner has to make are layoffs and cutbacks. The toughest decision of them all.... Is it time to close the doors for good.

local804

We offered to take time off to allow the laid off drivers to work more than one day a week and UPS will not let us.

They are younger, faster and cheaper. They still said no. We even offered to not take sick days so they are not double paying. Still said no.

When your leaders heads are in the sand what do you expect.

Good show of heart, I like it.
pick of the phone one day and bang!

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Our center has no problem with this and, if fact, encourages us to do just that. I have taken 4 days off thus far so that my cover driver can get his hours. I am not in a position to take "dead days" so have taken paid days off. Several other drivers do the same.

Heck, Ill even "wash" your truck that week if you would let me cover your route!

Driven 3 days in the past month. Sucks only seeing PL check. (If that's what ya wanna call em')

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Heck, Ill even "wash" your truck that week if you would let me cover your route!
I should probably warn you that I am slightly OCD and this may turn out to be more of a job than you had bargained for.

We actually have several drivers who have been doing this for their cover drivers. One of my good friends actually called her cover driver at home to see if he was scheduled and when she found out he wasn't she called the center and took the day so that he could work.

Now, I failed to mention that I have 2 cover drivers who know my area and that I only do this for 1 as the other doesn't represent very well while on my area.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
They are everywhere, IF the manager decides to push them.

"IF"!

The people steering the ship only see numbers and $$$.

This isn't all I saw of your post, but it really stood out.

Driven 3 days in the past month. Sucks only seeing PL check. (If that's what ya wanna call em')

I'd take a day a week for you, Pass, even if you were a slob.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I should probably warn you that I am slightly OCD and this may turn out to be more of a job than you had bargained for.

We actually have several drivers who have been doing this for their cover drivers. One of my good friends actually called her cover driver at home to see if he was scheduled and when she found out he wasn't she called the center and took the day so that he could work.

Now, I failed to mention that I have 2 cover drivers who know my area and that I only do this for 1 as the other doesn't represent very well while on my area.
I love the 'slightly' part of your post! Who'da thunk it. :surprised:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
There have been rumors floating around this week that there are lay-offs coming next week. (Crap I forgot to look at the schedule and the bid list, BRB gotta make a call). (Well got that taken care of - 8:45 and no bid list)Anyway where was I? Oh ya, layoffs. So I asked my OR if there were going to be any lay-offs, and told him I would take a week and let 1 of the less senior drivers work. I don't think he believed me. Wonder why?

Braveheart

Our center has no problem with this and, if fact, encourages us to do just that. I have taken 4 days off thus far so that my cover driver can get his hours. I am not in a position to take "dead days" so have taken paid days off. Several other drivers do the same. We have an injury so he has been working every day and vacations are beginning so he should be all set. I am very surprised that your center is not allowing this. I would think as long as they have coverage on the area they would be happy.
We have a full timer laid off and they will not let us have off to let him work!

We even have drivers who have family members with serious health issues and are out of option days and are willing to take a day or two per week to take care of their loved ones and they still will not let them either.

Our managers have got to be the least best in the country.

Braveheart

I happen to agree with trplnkl. This leads me to believe that the company feels this is a long term depression of our economy. They must make the necessary cuts to sustain the business.

It is hard to understand (layoffs) when you know the names and faces of the people and the families that are affected. The people steering the ship only see numbers and $$$. Those who have owned a business and have had to layoff those who they consider family know the pain in doing so.

The toughest decisions a business owner has to make are layoffs and cutbacks. The toughest decision of them all.... Is it time to close the doors for good.
Not what is happening. Guy drives at least one day per week so he gets his H & W but then does the part time thing the other days only nights so he is available for driving.

So he get full time pay, cover rate as he is recently promoted, for like 20-30 hours per week. Closer to 20 hours most weeks though.

We said hold on to our option money, they make interest in it in their bank account, give us off, let the younger driver work at a 15% discount.

Everyone wins. Morale of the junior driver goes up for getting the work and morale of the senior drivers goes up as they share extra days off to rest their backs.

Plus the senior drivers are less worn out by Friday as 4-5 drivers per week would get an extra day off.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
I'd take a day a week for you, Pass, even if you were a slob.

No slob here Steve. When I get to cover a route I make sure that I left the PC just like it was when I got in it. Needless to say, some drivers are nasty nasty nasty!!!

BTW, I appreciate that you would do this. Its nice to know that Upstate does it also.!

We have PAS and telematcis, I'm still a bonus driver.. I have no seat belt events, bulkhead door events or recording in travel... I could be better at not backing so much... You think that if I slow down they are going to take work off me? Not... I'll just be away from my family longer and still do the same amount of stops. I choose to go home.

ixtab

"...Maybe all drivers should give up one or two days of pay a week to allow the drivers who are laid off to work? How do you think that would go over?..."

In our center, where everyone is overloaded, you would be very, very surprised to see what percentage of drivers would welcome that.

Cover drivers are sent home every day in our center. Management won't allow us full-timers to take take a day off, either unpaid or even if we burn an option day.

Reason: Under the new contract if a cover driver gets 200 punches (reports) in a year a new full-time position has to be created in that center.

ixtab

I'm sure you're going to claim management rhetoric on this one, but following all the methods should INCREASE your SPORH; I was, as a driver, what you refer to as a runner and gunner. When I went on road sup, I was forced to really learn the 340's (memorized verbatim). The first time I was understaffed and had to run a route, I did it at a very reasonable pace and followed the methods, and was much more efficient. The problem is we don't really teach our drivers the methods like we should; just make sure you know your 10 point and 5 seeing habits.

The production rides that I have been on lately have all focused on solid use of our methods, many of them lasting up to a week, and everyone of them have jacked up their sporh while working at a "sanity pace", and most of them are thankful for it. And these are great drivers, I wouldn't trade any of them away.

As far as this thread goes, I tell my guys that because of the way things are, they'd better be taking their breaks and lunch, and with the new system I know when they are or aren't. Believe it or not, some management don't want to see their younger drivers sitting on the bench when they don't have to.

This is TOTAL BS! I was specifically instructed by my Union Steward "be sure to look over your left shoulder when pulling away from curb. . .it adds 6 seconds to every stop!!!"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is TOTAL BS! I was specifically instructed by my Union Steward "be sure to look over your left shoulder when pulling away from curb. . .it adds 6 seconds to every stop!!!"

Your steward is absolutely right but 6 seconds is far too long. We want you to assess the situation, not paint a visual picture.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Cover drivers are sent home every day in our center. Management won't allow us full-timers to take take a day off, either unpaid or even if we burn an option day.

Reason: Under the new contract if a cover driver gets 200 punches (reports) in a year a new full-time position has to be created in that center.

Why do you think I want to work so bad?!! I was also told if I can punch in 20 times in a month then I would be FULL-TIME.

dmv3368

The Machine
that theory seems true about if runners slow down. but what you dont take into fact is that all drivers move at different speeds not all move at the same speed and have the same distance to the door of the homes or business they deliver to. i use all the methods correctly and move faster then 99 percent of the drivers in my center. so does that mean i am screwing somebody out of a job? so what your saying is we should all check with each other through out the day and if im ahead of you in stops then ill kick down a notch so we all finish at the same time. LMAO. and as far as the IBT it only goes so far. inside work ill help my bothers if they need me and some outside of work but can you say your going to feed my family or pay my bills? then it is every man for himself you got that right.

that theory seems true about if runners slow down. but what you dont take into fact is that all drivers move at different speeds not all move at the same speed and have the same distance to the door of the homes or business they deliver to. i use all the methods correctly and move faster then 99 percent of the drivers in my center. so does that mean i am screwing somebody out of a job? so what your saying is we should all check with each other through out the day and if im ahead of you in stops then ill kick down a notch so we all finish at the same time. LMAO. and as far as the IBT it only goes so far. inside work ill help my bothers if they need me and some outside of work but can you say your going to feed my family or pay my bills? then it is every man for himself you got that right.
If you are truly using the proper work methods and are not physically running back and forth and jumping in and out...speeding..they aren't talking to you. Relax

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
We have PAS and telematcis, I'm still a bonus driver.. I have no seat belt events, bulkhead door events or recording in travel... I could be better at not backing so much... You think that if I slow down they are going to take work off me? Not... I'll just be away from my family longer and still do the same amount of stops. I choose to go home.

I don't understand how you equate paying the bills with getting off of the clock fast? Isn't overtime a higher rate than bonus?

I think you both have misunderstood what was being said. No one wants anyone to work slower, to spite UPS. What we're saying is to those drivers that don't do the methods and just run maniacally through routes. These drivers don't take breaks and literally run, and I don't mean at a brisk pace, I mean sprint, all day long. If you add this to speeding, running stop signs, bad DR's, leaping in and out of the pkg car, then that's the driver's we're talking about.

If you're fast, while doing the methods, more power to you. Make sure you deliver at a pace that you can keep, for the 30 years you work.