Runners......

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't understand how you equate paying the bills with getting off of the clock fast? Isn't overtime a higher rate than bonus?
Depends. In some areas bonus is paid at the straight time rate, in other areas it is paid at the OT rate. Regardless of the rate it does not count towards your pension, a factor which I think a lot of people forget about.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Depends. In some areas bonus is paid at the straight time rate, in other areas it is paid at the OT rate. Regardless of the rate it does not count towards your pension, a factor which I think a lot of people forget about.

And working less hours, actually counts against your pension, is that not correct, Jones?

tieguy

Banned
Perhaps someone can answer that question. if you work nine hours doing 10 hours of work how does it show on your paycheck. If it shows you got paid for 10 hours then 10 hours would be paid and credited towards your retirement.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Perhaps someone can answer that question. if you work nine hours doing 10 hours of work how does it show on your paycheck. If it shows you got paid for 10 hours then 10 hours would be paid and credited towards your retirement.
Not in local 639. The company reports actual hours worked to the union, and that's what you get credit for.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We don't have bonus in my center but I have noticed on my paystubs the word "guarantee". This comes in to play if you work less than 8 hours. You get paid for the 8 but only the actual hours worked are added to the YTD total and, I assume, are credited to your pension account.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of Runners, I was talking to one of ours yesterday. We just rebid our Center and he got bumped off his route. He had a area in a small town that should have had about 110 stops. But he would go out and run his tail off all day and skip lunch because he wanted to "just get home and see his third wife". He was clocking out with 140 stops a day at 4:30, and that was noticed by another driver with more seniority.

So, he bids on the JC Penny/commercial route next to our Hub. We used to have a Penny's catalog distribution center up the street that moved to Ohio a few years ago, but they still have a outlet store and warehouse there. He bids on the route thinking it has 90 stops and 30 pickups. He hasn't figured out yet that this route has TWO PACKAGE CARS AND A VAN on it. When he empties out one car, he will drive back and start another. I didn't have the heart to break it to him. I wonder if he will still run after this?

screamin chicken

I do not run but I stay at a set pace all day on my route, I go out with 140-150 stops 250-300 pkgs. drive anywhere from 45-65 miles and I can be done by 5 with my 11 hr. break. I really wish I could have 130 stops like I use to and get off by 4 but that is not happining anymore. Or at least I wish I could get 20 hrs. a week bonus like I use to.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Here's how bonus looks on a paycheck

Regular 29.02 40.00 1160.80
Overtime 43.53 7.77 338.23
Prod Bon 43.53 6.10 255.53
Total hours worked 47.77
Current Totals 1764.56

Looks like the total hours don't include the bonus. In our local the pension payment is made each week as long as you hit the time clock once in that week. How many hours doesn't make a diff. towards your pension. Sorry it's a little scrunched up. The first column is pay rate, the second hours and the third the total pay.

DenverBrownDotCom

Rookie you are a very smart person in such a short time. We have senior drivers taking a day off a week to keep the lower senior drivers working. You now have a solid understanding of what makes a scab. It's the "world's about me" type of driver that could give a crap about his own mother, much less his Teamster Brother. Keep banging that drum though. You may be able to change some minds, and you may want to get more involved with your Local Union. They occasionally need some reminder about that Brotherhood part as well.
you're 100% right......... I don't understand. We ALL have families we would rather be home spending time with. There are younger guys laid off right now. That means that they can't feed their families. I believe that outweighes your need to get in.

What are we talking about here? an hour? C'mon. This is a union job. We get paid by the hour. We are the International BROTHERHOOD of teamsters. I think sometimes people forget the B part of IBT.

DenverBrownDotCom

Telematics will see that his firing will happen sooner, not later!
There will always be runners. Some people will be done at 1700 no matter how many stops you give them. I'm a very fast driver. However, I follow the methods better than most. I once went on road with a different driver as his helper. I was shocked by how much faster you could go by letting the truck idle, leaving the bulkhead open, not using your seatbelt, and running to and from the truck etc... I was actually slowing him down if all I did was walk with a brisk pace. He could do the route faster himself without a helper unless the helper actually ran their 4ss off. Some guys just don't care. I know one guy who hates this job so much he says he doesn't care if he gets fired and breaks every rule there is to get done early everynight.

DenverBrownDotCom

For many the job will become as the company wants, for others the job will be at someone elses workplace becasue they will never get it. Many of those were future supervisor material.
I would like to think that Telematics will alter his mindset and he will start doing the job the way it is supposed to be done.

DenverBrownDotCom

That is the intent you know, reduce the driver cost overall. Less about production than opening the door to driver elimination. You will see wage tiering in the next contract. Lower wages for the new driver, much like many of your part timers have now. It will allow the company to eliminate senior, (red circle) drivers using Telematics reducing the overall wage cost to the company. Should be a really secure job for those new drivers, huh?
Good, that is all the more opportunity for new drivers. Who want to do the job right.

Braveheart

Here's how bonus looks on a paycheck

Regular 29.02 40.00 1160.80
Overtime 43.53 7.77 338.23
Prod Bon 43.53 6.10 255.53
Total hours worked 47.77
Current Totals 1764.56

Looks like the total hours don't include the bonus. In our local the pension payment is made each week as long as you hit the time clock once in that week. How many hours doesn't make a diff. towards your pension. Sorry it's a little scrunched up. The first column is pay rate, the second hours and the third the total pay.
Better check the pension again. We may be in different parts of country.

Once a week is for the minimum years of service pension.

The big one the union and company advertises has hours per year levels you must attain. Do not have the figure in front of me but it punishes guys out on COMP or disability with ankle, knee, back surgery as well as guys out on FMLA for cancer treatment and so forth.

I know my buddy has to work an extra 6 months now due to serious health problem.

Braveheart

I don't understand how you equate paying the bills with getting off of the clock fast? Isn't overtime a higher rate than bonus?

I think you both have misunderstood what was being said. No one wants anyone to work slower, to spite UPS. What we're saying is to those drivers that don't do the methods and just run maniacally through routes. These drivers don't take breaks and literally run, and I don't mean at a brisk pace, I mean sprint, all day long. If you add this to speeding, running stop signs, bad DR's, leaping in and out of the pkg car, then that's the driver's we're talking about.

If you're fast, while doing the methods, more power to you. Make sure you deliver at a pace that you can keep, for the 30 years you work.
Good point!!!

30 years is a long time!

blue efficacy

That is the intent you know, reduce the driver cost overall. Less about production than opening the door to driver elimination. You will see wage tiering in the next contract. Lower wages for the new driver, much like many of your part timers have now. It will allow the company to eliminate senior, (red circle) drivers using Telematics reducing the overall wage cost to the company. Should be a really secure job for those new drivers, huh?
I am all for this.

Drivers don't deserve 80 thousand dollars a year.

I've done driver helper. I pretty much did everything, the driver would leave the truck maybe twice on average when I was working with him. I even collected CODs, which I am pretty sure I wasn't supposed to do.

Anyone can do this job. The DIAD was extremely simple to learn, I pretty much knew all of the functions and when to use them after doing it a week. It was also much easier on my body than working in the hub.

After hearing so many drivers complain about their job, online and otherwise, I thought maybe it really does suck, maybe they do deserve their excessive wages. But then, being a driver helper informed me that this is not actually the case.

Ironically, he liked to complain about how the auto industry shouldn't be bailed out, how they got paid excessively high wages for the easy job of assembling automobiles. Only because UPS has the management style that is has, has it remained profitable. But if these excessive wages are allowed to continue, I can only see a bleak future for the company.

Perhaps Telematics will allow UPS to get rid of people in the future who are making extremely high salaries while not working to their full potential. I will never be able to fill the openings they leave, but am glad that other people might.

I've always believed that in most locales, UPS could fire all drivers, offer up their jobs for $18 an hour, and people would most certainly be lined up around the street.