Runners......

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I believe I did it for $6.75 an hour back when I started in 1971. Oh by the way-that was 3 bucks more an hour than my wife was making working full time at a state government job.
When you adjust for inflation, $6.75 in 1971 is worth a little over $35 today. It appears our raises haven't kept up.....

The DHL/Air Borne drivers here were not even paid by the hour. Straight salary, a buddy that worked there was taking home a whopping $300 per week. Zero benefits.

rod

Retired 22 years
When you adjust for inflation, $6.75 in 1971 is worth a little over $35 today. It appears our raises haven't kept up.....

To be honest we had money coming out our you know whats. We saved $10,000 the 1st year and bought a lake home for $18,000. With only an $8,000 morgage our house payments were 96 bucks a month- that encluded the real estate taxes and home owners ins. :happy2: P.S. I wish I would of bought a dozen lake homes back then.

blue efficacy

He'll be one of those "six month wonders" who drives for one peak season before going into supervision where he will spend the remainder of his days telling people what a hammer he was "back when he was a driver"....
Wrong. I can never drive, and have no interest in management.

blue efficacy

Just because Blue doesn't make that much, doesn't mean the drivers don't deserve it...
There aren't many jobs that pay as well as yours does that require less skill. I can't think of any off hand. Not trying to be judgmental, just saying.

I don't even take issue so much with the fact that you make those wages. What really peeves me is the self righteous drivers that act like they earn it.

Your wages are a gift from the union, and nothing more.

Barack Obama is very pro union. Yet somehow a lot of you drivers seem to dislike the guy. If the Republicans had their way, you'd all be making $18 an hour with no protection from management harassment and work stealing.

tourists24

There aren't many jobs that pay as well as yours does that require less skill. I can't think of any off hand. Not trying to be judgmental, just saying.

I don't even take issue so much with the fact that you make those wages. What really peeves me is the self righteous drivers that act like they earn it.

Barack Obama is very pro union. Yet somehow a lot of you drivers seem to dislike the guy. If the Republicans had their way, you'd all be making $18 an hour with no protection from management harassment and work stealing.
this is a ridiculous statement, so this is my response:

Queen - Jealousy

blue efficacy

I take it you have never been a driver.

Please define "skill" for us so we might understand your point.
I would define a skill as something that takes a significant amount of education and/or training to do. I wouldn't say driving a truck and operating a simple handheld computer device qualifies. Not calling a driver job easy! But it is certainly unskilled.
this is a ridiculous statement, so this is my response:

YouTube - Queen - Jealousy
You're right, maybe I am jealous. I won't deny it. I wanted to be a driver when I first started at UPS. However, a few years in, I got diagnosed with a medical condition which bars me from ever driving in my lifetime. And before anybody wants to get self righteous on me, it was nothing that my lifestyle could have affected. I know a lot of you conservative anti-universal healthcare think that anytime someone gets a medical condition it is their fault.

Do I have elements of sour grapes? Absolutely. Doesn't make any of the points I make less valid. Like I said, I wanted to get on the gravy train myself, before my life circumstances dictated otherwise.

tourists24

I would define a skill as something that takes a significant amount of education and/or training to do. I wouldn't say driving a truck and operating a simple handheld computer device qualifies. Not calling a driver job easy! But it is certainly unskilled.

You're right, maybe I am jealous. I won't deny it. I wanted to be a driver when I first started at UPS. However, a few years in, I got diagnosed with a medical condition which bars me from ever driving in my lifetime. And before anybody wants to get self righteous on me, it was nothing that my lifestyle could have affected. I know a lot of you conservative anti-universal healthcare think that anytime someone gets a medical condition it is their fault.

Do I have elements of sour grapes? Absolutely. Doesn't make any of the points I make less valid. Like I said, I wanted to get on the gravy train myself, before my life circumstances dictated otherwise.
No, that doesnt make your points less valid. What DOES make your points less valid is the simple fact that it does take skill to do this job and it's no gravy train. My point is made valid by the fact that you cant do it....... if it were so easy then medical conditions wouldnt matter. It's JUST a simple minded driving job right?

blue efficacy

No, that doesnt make your points less valid. What DOES make your points less valid is the simple fact that it does take skill to do this job and it's no gravy train. My point is made valid by the fact that you cant do it....... if it were so easy then medical conditions wouldnt matter. It's JUST a simple minded driving job right?
You make a good point. I could certainly do the job without issues. But the people at the DOT don't agree, mainly because most manage their condition more poorly than I do.

But I was waiting for how long until someone would attack me for having a medical condition. I thought for sure it wouldn't happen until a few posts down.

tourists24

You make a good point. I could certainly do the job without issues. But the people at the DOT don't agree, mainly because most manage their condition more poorly than I do.

But I was waiting for how long until someone would attack me for having a medical condition. I thought for sure it wouldn't happen until a few posts down.
Nah,,, not attacking you on having a medical condition. Just attacking your ignorance on what it takes to actually do the job.

blue efficacy

Nah,,, not attacking you on having a medical condition. Just attacking your ignorance on what it takes to actually do the job.
I see your point. But I am a very observant person, and doing driver helper gave me a good idea of what it takes.

You could say I was only doing it for 5 hours a day, which is a fair point. But I would go work the twilight sort shortly thereafter, so it isn't like I wasn't working a full day.

I paid attention to my driver and studied everything he did down to the finest detail. An easy job in general? Absolutely not. But relative to the wages, well, I can't give the same answer there.

satellitedriver

There aren't many jobs that pay as well as yours does that require less skill. I can't think of any off hand.
I can. Welder helpers make $35/hr here and all the skill they need is to be able to run a grinder.
That is only one example.
Not trying to be judgmental, just saying.
By saying it, you were passing judgment.

I don't even take issue so much with the fact that you make those wages.
Gee thanks, that was very big of you.
What really peeves me is the self righteous drivers that act like they earn it.
So, the 99% of UPS drivers that are not self righteous are cool with you?

Gift?
Talk about self righteous BS from a wanna be.

Barack Obama is very pro union. Yet somehow a lot of you drivers seem to dislike the guy.
Not "the guy", just his policies.
If the Republicans had their way, you'd all be making $18 an hour with no protection from management harassment and work stealing.
I would love for you to try and prove this point, with facts and data.
In fact, out of the last 23 years I have worked at UPS, 15 yrs have been spent under a Republican President.
Guess what?
My wages increased under the evil, anti-union Republican's
( non-protection) each and every year.
So, for you to make such a blanket statement, without any supporting evidence, is just plain ludicrous.

UPSNewbie

I'm not a driver, blue. But the drivers I know DEFINITELY deserve that money. If you want drivers at 18/hr, good luck finding quality and class.

blue efficacy

I would love for you to try and prove this point, with facts and data.
In fact, out of the last 23 years I have worked at UPS, 15 yrs have been spent under a Republican President.
Guess what?
My wages increased under the evil, anti-union Republican's ( non-protection) each and every year.
So, for you to make such a blanket statement, without any supporting evidence, is just plain ludicrous.

Valid point. That is true for you, but not for non-unionised americans, which are certainly the vast majority.

I was referring to the rest of the nation, not the few who are lucky enough to still have a strong union.

Before the evil Reagan came along, higher wages for blue collar workers such as ourselves were much more prevalent. Just because all of your neighbors got *********but you didn't, doesn't mean there isn't a rapist on the loose.

Last edited by a moderator: