Rushed to clock out...

drewed

Shankman
Our normal volume is between 580-650%. There are quite a few bulk stops with 780%.

Ok ive been sick the last couple days, so iim not comprehending this well sorry

so are you saying over all volume ran was 780%

or some trucks are at 780%

either way lets say 120 stops with 300 packages are now at 2400 packages?

LKLND3380

When I was finishing up my last truck this morning, the Operations manager came by and told me to hurry up, get the packages loaded, and clock out. It was in an annoyed tone. The driver's first stop is a hospital,and it's very bulky, so it's loaded RDC. Anyway, I only had a few more packages left, 13 minutes until that driver had to leave, and all of this was before I was supposed to be out of the building at 9am.

Why are preloaders rushed? Start time is 4:45am, and I'm ususally out of the building by 8:30. I finish around that time daily.

Our building they would tell you to go and let the driver wrap it up... Never mind it is 8:30 and driver start time is 8:45... Leave it for the driver...

LKLND3380

of course, it is more economical for the company to have the preloader loading the packages. However, if the preload has been running slowly, and is not down until 9:15, and the driver start time is 9:00, then for the last 15 min of the preloaders shift, UPS is paying the preloader to load the car, AND paying the driver what will become OT to stand and watch the preloader loading the car. Seen it many, many times.

Simple formula really, if preload runs past driver start time, get the preloader off the clock and have the drivers load the last of the packages. At least then drivers are not being paid to stand around.

And if Driver start time is approaching, "encourage" the preloaders to finish quickly and get off the clock.

You are not supposed to take someone's work away and assign it to someone else... Seems like earliers start times are needed...

LKLND3380

I never understood why the preload starts at a time where they just can't finish loading the trucks! Wouldn't it make sense to inform the preloaders that the trucks need to be finished by 8.00 and start them early? They seem to do it
every single time when a big ham comes in for an early a.m.speech?

The goal is to have the feeders wrapped up just in time for the Airs to arrive... They could bring everyone in at 2:00 and have the grounds wrapped up at 7:00 but Airs may not get there till 8:15... Sometimes there is a wreck on the interstate and they are unloading three feeders at 8:30 with Airs waiting...

I say have the preloaders wrap at 7:00 and the drivers can do airs...

LKLND3380

Safety counts when the parade of managers comes in from out of town. That is when the belt slows down, extra loaders are working, the walkways are clear, and you may even see the camera crews around to film one of those excellent UPS safety videos. You may also see these same things occur right around the time the ERI survey comes to town. I am sure a management type person will dispute these claims, but most know that this activity occurs.

CAMERA CREWS... I am always amazed at the belt speeds in UPS training videos. At that pace I could load 12 package cars in 3 1/2 hours...

LKLND3380

If management wants perfection all the way, they can come load my trucks for me, since they're so perfect. Another thing that doesn't make sense is starting at 4:45am with 780% volume plus Air, expecting us to have everything wrapped up by 8:20am...which is our drivers start time. Whatever though. I still enjoy my job, just not the politics of it!

4:45am with 780%!?! we are 4:45am with 1450% plus airs... we have about 55 people on the preload...

W

westsideworma

how does anyone become proficient at anything?
you start off slow and gain speed as you go
somedays it is a rush and my employees find out theyre faster and can be more productive then they thought they could be

I think he'd agree with the first part of that, but the problem is when someones best is no longer "acceptable" though it was last year. It seems since I've been here that we continually ratchet up the PPH like its a setting on a electronic device...however human beings don't work that way...without getting hurt or making mistakes or both, unless their very lucky. As I said since I've been here the planned pph has jumped 46 packages an hour at my building...seems a bit ludicrous when you think about it. 2 or 3 an hour maybe, but 46 over the course of 4 years? Theres some funny math going on there. Nothing about this job has changed to warrant such a speed increase.

drewed

Shankman
I think he'd agree with the first part of that, but the problem is when someones best is no longer "acceptable" though it was last year. It seems since I've been here that we continually ratchet up the PPH like its a setting on a electronic device...however human beings don't work that way...without getting hurt or making mistakes or both, unless their very lucky. As I said since I've been here the planned pph has jumped 46 packages an hour at my building...seems a bit ludicrous when you think about it. 2 or 3 an hour maybe, but 46 over the course of 4 years? Theres some funny math going on there. Nothing about this job has changed to warrant such a speed increase.

Well as dumb as it sounds, sometimes its good not to get above your numbers, if your goal pph is 220 and your making 223 consistently thats the new standard. 220 is no longer good enough and when you start getting 225, guess what? thats the new standard

tieguy

Banned
why did you rush him tie guy saftey first or that dont count at end of am shift?

every once in a while I am fortunate enough to get a stalker who follows me around on this board. I would like to recognize Rocket Man who has taken on this daunting task. If you click on his name and view his other posts you will see that most of his last posts have been directed at me. This board would not be the fun place it is if it was not for the efforts of guys like rocket man who has decided to serve me as my personal :censored2:.

Fnix

You are not supposed to take someone's work away and assign it to someone else... Seems like earliers start times are needed...

In my hub they send people home early and give the work to me. Up to 1 hour per day. But I asked for hours and those people dont care if they go home early. They are less productive workers anyways.

Well as dumb as it sounds, sometimes its good not to get above your numbers, if your goal pph is 220 and your making 223 consistently thats the new standard. 220 is no longer good enough and when you start getting 225, guess what? thats the new standard

True...on the preload we didn't want to be over 95% effective. We would slow the boxline down a little or submit a timecard for a pt supe if we needed (even if they didn't work). If we needed more production we would speed up the boxline.

atatbl

Yeah this is exactly the type of thing I have been thinking they should do! Would be so much less stress!!!! :angry:

I see your point. BUT, we must consider the byproduct of this situation....... we would actually KNOW where our air was in our cars. Tell me that wouldn't be an amazing feeling. Hell, we might even be able to get some ground off with air.

atatbl

every once in a while I am fortunate enough to get a stalker who follows me around on this board. I would like to recognize Rocket Man who has taken on this daunting task. If you click on his name and view his other posts you will see that most of his last posts have been directed at me. This board would not be the fun place it is if it was not for the efforts of guys like rocket man who has decided to serve me as my personal :censored2:.

I understand if you do actually get upset with it. However, most of the clowns that mess with you leave after about two weeks. They come here brand-new, are attracted to hating everything you say, and then try and contradict you.

RocketMan, on the other hand, is a very real person and is hilarious with his bluntness. We all know his grammar is not stellar, but he makes up for that with his straight-to-the-point posts.

I actually laughed pretty hard at him and Upstate, until Upstate put him on his ignore list. I like all the posters involved, but it is funny to see what new spin Rocket will put on his negativity, for the time. Though, if this continues for several more weeks, it may lose it's comedic appeal.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I understand if you do actually get upset with it. However, most of the clowns that mess with you leave after about two weeks. They come here brand-new, are attracted to hating everything you say, and then try and contradict you.

RocketMan, on the other hand, is a very real person and is hilarious with his bluntness. We all know his grammar is not stellar, but he makes up for that with his straight-to-the-point posts.

I actually laughed pretty hard at him and Upstate, until Upstate put him on his ignore list. I like all the posters involved, but it is funny to see what new spin Rocket will put on his negativity, for the time. Though, if this continues for several more weeks, it may lose it's comedic appeal.

Rocket -man is great. Every message board needs someone with one-line wonders , especially the bad grammar and usually inept sentence structure. I see his posts, right off-the-bat know it's going to be short and sweet so I always read them...then get sucked into having to actually transcribe and put into actual English what he is trying to convey.
If you read his posts without fixing his errors it'll mean something completely different.

rod

Retired 22 years
Now wouldn't this be a boring fourm if everyone agreed with everyone else. By the way ---where is kenmie?:peaceful::its_all_good::devillangel: