S.M.A.R.T HUB ATLANTA DRIVER POSITIONS??

MemberY

Anyone know how many new Package car and Feeder positions will become available for pt workers at the new smart hub? I’m a new hire there and looking to drive ASAP. Everyone I ask there has a different answer.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I don't know but I know they are running contractors like crazy in their feeder department.

I know they are pulling runs from PLEGA. If they keep most sorts running at the other 4 Atlanta building I think they will hire a ton off the street and part-time at SMAGA. If they just transfer work options would be fewer for you in feeders.

MemberY

I don't know but I know they are running contractors like crazy in their feeder department.

I know they are pulling runs from PLEGA. If they keep most sorts running at the other 4 Atlanta building I think they will hire a ton off the street and part-time at SMAGA. If they just transfer work options would be fewer for you in feeders.
It’s my understanding that after peak season all the contractors will be let go and pt workers will be able to get a lot of spots. For feeders anyways. Not sure about package car. I heard like 500 package cars at some point. They are pulling 4 buildings over from what I hear. Smyrna will be there by October.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Anyone know how many new Package car and Feeder positions will become available for pt workers at the new smart hub? I’m a new hire there and looking to drive ASAP. Everyone I ask there has a different answer.
You sure will get different answers here!

MemberY

Obviously being new I don't know this to be true, but I have also been told that seniority at the SMART hub will be done by who has been at the hub the longest. So if that is the case and what they told our class in cornerstone is correct, there is only 70 people ahead of our class that has more seniority than us. And that when other people move into the hub from other locations we will still have higher seniority on bidding for jobs but the people coming from other hubs will still have higher seniority on vacation dates. Again, I'm new and just going by what we have been told.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Forest Park Hub lost its Night Sort this week because that work was sent to the SMART Hub. People on that sort had the option of moving to the new Hub or try to bid to another sort in Forest Park. As far as I know, all of our package routes that are moving will be sent to the original Atlanta Hub and not the SMART Hub. I think they will be moving next week or the week after. Hopefully Forest Park won't have another Peak Season Disaster due to the Midnight Sort and Preload clashing with each other and less package routes.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

Right now they’re just ramping up the sorts at SMART to work out the kinks. When I was there a few weeks ago Atlanta HIB was winding down and they were ending the Atlanta Day sort to switch it all to SMART. I didn’t work with the feeder guys, but I know they’re really trying to draw down the sorts and consolidate almost all of it at SMART.

That building is unreal. Isn’t just going to relieve the Atlanta area hubs, but really the whole southeast.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Right now they’re just ramping up the sorts at SMART to work out the kinks. When I was there a few weeks ago Atlanta HIB was winding down and they were ending the Atlanta Day sort to switch it all to SMART. I didn’t work with the feeder guys, but I know they’re really trying to draw down the sorts and consolidate almost all of it at SMART.

That building is unreal. Isn’t just going to relieve the Atlanta area hubs, but really the whole southeast.

I don't run Atlanta much anymore. Last I had heard they were keeping all sorts at the other Atlanta buildings, guess they changed plans.

It's only rated at 100k packages per hour. Maybe they run 650k on a busy non-peak sort which can't be much more than other Atlanta buildings run combined now, can it? I'm sure during peak they will be putting night sorts back on at the other buildings to help with capacity.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Our building was only able to handle the volume we did because of the bottleneck that is no longer there, now the bottleneck will be our building not having enough space to put everything.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I don't run Atlanta much anymore. Last I had heard they were keeping all sorts at the other Atlanta buildings, guess they changed plans.

It's only rated at 100k packages per hour. Maybe they run 650k on a busy non-peak sort which can't be much more than other Atlanta buildings run combined now, can it? I'm sure during peak they will be putting night sorts back on at the other buildings to help with capacity.
I believe (and don’t quote me on this I can’t remember the exact figures), 100k an hour was what they were predicting at the start but they should be able to do more as it matures.

You’re always going to have extra sorts put on during peak, that’s just unavoidable. But SMART creates a massive hole to drop volume into. If they can get up to full capacity during peak it’s going to make a substantial difference in processing capability

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

I went to SMAGA earlier this week and was surprised how much if it is unfinished. Will it be finished by peak season? I didn't walk inside but it looks like they are maybe using 25-30% of the building and working on the rest.

On a side note, this building is big but nothing like CACH. That place is huge.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic

maybe not all of the northeast but that is still impressive for the northwest. That is seattle, portland and salem combined into one building.

we're expecting relief too in the form of a new east portland building. will take a quarter of our existing routes and move them so that hopefully we do not need asileway rollers this time.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I went to SMAGA earlier this week and was surprised how much if it is unfinished. Will it be finished by peak season? I didn't walk inside but it looks like they are maybe using 25-30% of the building and working on the rest.

On a side note, this building is big but nothing like CACH. That place is huge.
Everything should be pretty much wrapped up by peak. The goal was supposed to be full capacity by the end of next month, as of the end of August.

As for the CACH comparison, CACH is absolutely bigger, it’s not supposed to be the same thing. But it’s still the third largest building we have now. I believe SMART is 1.2 million sq ft and CACH is somewhere around 2 million SQ ft. Then you have Worldport in between the two.