sad what sups truly believe

upsgrunt

if you don't try to memorize them, you're only trying to **** your boss over (your call on that one)
if you don't try to apply them, you're only trying to **** yourself over

the 2nd part is obviously all BS, but that doesn't take away from how legit the first part is

Again, I ask you:
How long did you spend delivering in a package car?

tourists24

if you don't try to memorize them, you're only trying to **** your boss over (your call on that one)
if you don't try to apply them, you're only trying to **** yourself over

the 2nd part is obviously all BS, but that doesn't take away from how legit the first part is
Have no problem trying to memorize them.... but I will be paid for the study time..... Im not doing it at home

Catatonic

Nine Lives
you seem ashamed, or unable, to understand that there might be a whole wide world to UPS outside of a package car

It's that generation of entitlement where they think they can command others to answer their questions.
It never occurs to their self-centered awareness that the world does not revolve around them.

upsgrunt

you seem ashamed, or unable, to understand that there might be a whole wide world to UPS outside of a package car

Not ashamed; well able to understand. Maybe it is you who is unable to understand that there is more to a package drivers job than you think; that we are expected to fix others problems. You talk like you know all the answers, hence the question how long you did the job.
Nothing more, nothing less.

upsgrunt

It's that generation of entitlement where they think they can command others to answer their questions.
It never occurs to their self-centered awareness that the world does not revolve around them.

Really? Is that what you think?
How do you suggest a person ask a question that he does not know the answer to?
Careful on that high horse you're riding.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Really? Is that what you think?
How do you suggest a person ask a question that he does not know the answer to?
Careful on that high horse you're riding.

I was speaking of the insistence by some that others answer their questions when they have no power to enforce their demands and thus highlighting their insignificance.

And by the way, that is a trait of my generation (Late Baby-boomers) more so than Gen X or Gen Y or the Millenniums.

Critical thinking and skepticism are ... never mind, its not worth it the time.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Not ashamed; well able to understand. Maybe it is you who is unable to understand that there is more to a package drivers job than you think; that we are expected to fix others problems. You talk like you know all the answers, hence the question how long you did the job.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Only fools think they know everything ...a persons real intelligence and wisdom can usually be measured by how well they understand that inevitable fact.

UPS Drivers get paid to know the details of their job. The expectation is that they, as well as everyone else in UPS, adapt, re-plan and execute to get the job done.

If one wants to have the responsibilities of a clerk, learn to type fast and accurately and move to Nicaragua. Life is tough.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I respect upsgrunt and don't think he was unreasonable in his "demand" as it helps to establish the credibility of TearsInRain. Should a 30 day wonder and a 15 year veteran receive the same level of respect?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I respect upsgrunt and don't think he was unreasonable in his "demand" as it helps to establish the credibility of TearsInRain. Should a 30 day wonder and a 15 year veteran receive the same level of respect?

Why did he not initially ask for an answer in the manner that you just asked this question?
There is a big difference between the two.

Incidentally, if he had phrased his question like he did in Post 28, (You talk like you know all the answers, hence the question how long you did the job.) we would not be having this rather tedious exchange.

One can set guidelines and standards that a person must meet before they take them seriously.
That's cool ... there are many on here that I never read their posts and give them serious consideration.
I usually give your questions and posts consideration because its obvious you give thought before typing.
Many of your "enemies" on here never seem to give much thought ...they just blast out stupid crap.
That is their right and would never suggest that they should not be able to do so.

I for one am fairly transparent about who I am and answer questions readily as long as they are asked in a respectful and thoughtful tone.
I will not answer anyone's questions if they demand I answer their so, freaking important question ... that can go have sex with themselves as far as I am concerned.
I answer almost everyone's questions except TOS because he always demands his questions to be answered.
Go figure.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

i'm not going to answer it because it has NOTHING to do with the discussion or even what i say

time spent in or out of a package car doesn't establish credibility on issues that AREN'T DIRECTLY ABOUT DELIVERING PACKAGES

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

YES! Anything else I can answer for you?

Lets take a step back and look at the situation. It seems our On-Car Sups now-a-days were not drivers once themselves. Food for thought; Who gets the bigger paycheck, the On-Cars or the Drivers?

I have been with UPS 7 years now. I have been told that before I was with the company this was not the case. I was told the majority of the "Sups" came up through the driver ranks. Without doing the job day-in and day-out for at least a year (my opinion here) a person can not come close to having the full measure of everything we have to go through and deal with on a daily basis. That last statement goes both ways! As a driver I am not going to pretend to know exactly what my On-Car or center manager has to deal with and stress thats placed on them daily. Just as we drivers have to "deal" with our sups on 1 end and the customers on the other end, our sups have to deal with us drivers on 1 end and their boss's demands on the other end. Could the impossible dispatches we get in the morning be comming from the impossible demands our sups get hours before we arrive? Once we stop looking at the other "group" as the enemy, to be fought with at every interaction, and realize we are all in this together and that we can actually work together, this company will soar and we'll all be richer in every aspect of our lives.

To the OP- You have been presented with a wonderfull oppertunity should you chose to view it in the correct context. You have a new sup who you can take under your wing (yes under your wing as you have the years of experience in which to draw upon) and help him understand what "our job" entails. What has worked in the past and more importantly, what has not worked and why. You have a choice; Be combative at every juncture with this new sup. Or you can stop fighting just because he is in the "other group" and help him grow, thus making yourself a better person at the same time and making your life easier.

I am pretty sure the reason I see discipline as the go to action by management in resolving an issue or fixing a problem is because thats what they have been "conditioned" to expect from us drivers- confrontation or an outright fight in every interaction. We have done this to ourselves as drivers by viewing management as the enemy. Drivers are pretty damn good at making our customers happy and soothing things over with the customers when things go awry. This talent is one of the unspoken, unrecognized traits of our best drivers. We can not expect or demand this same skill set from the "other group" as they have not been given the oppertunity to develope these skills by driving for years. We can not stop using these skills once we get back to the building so, "work with them not against them."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I respectfully disagree with your answer to my respect question. While I respect the position regardless of who is in it I have much more respect for a 15 yr veteran than for a 30 day wonder.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I respectfully disagree with your answer to my respect question. While I respect the position regardless of who is in it I have much more respect for a 15 yr veteran than for a 30 day wonder.

I respectfully accept your disagreement but I don't plan to change my opinion.
No sense in both of us being wrong.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
All human beings deserve the same amount of respect, until they prove they no longer deserve thet respect. Showing a lack of respect based solely on a persons lenght of service is simply egotistical at best!