sad what sups truly believe

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am the oposite I guess. I feel respect is deserved by all. Everyone I meet gets the same respect until they do something to show me they don't deserve it.

I think we are talking two different types of respect. What you posted above would be personal respect and I agree with you. I am talking about professional respect or respect based on the ability of the person holding the position. This must be earned. I respect the positions my mgt team hold equally but have varying degrees of respect for the manner in which they perform their jobs.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
He is a safety point that would really help, instead of working us 11 plust hours over 12 hours at UPS when you add in the lunch, plus the 30 to 45 minute drive too and from work. think about that UPS that is over 13 hours, we dont get close to 8 hours of sleep. Sleep is the number one factor in in safety, if you are tried you make mistake, if you are tried you body is much more likely to be injuried.

UPS you want safety, end the crazy hours it leads to more accidents and injuries then anything else.

Oh but that is right the stock price matters more.

Safety 2nd.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
I think we are talking two different types of respect. What you posted above would be personal respect and I agree with you. I am talking about professional respect or respect based on the ability of the person holding the position. This must be earned. I respect the positions my mgt team hold equally but have varying degrees of respect for the manner in which they perform their jobs.

Aggreed, but start with respect and let them lose that respect if their actions warrent it. You said you do not respect 30 day wonders as much. They are like us, just "newer" and trying to "make it." let them lose your respect as you see them work, not start in a hole and have to make-up your respect. Just my 2 cents.

I aggree with the work hours and safety. The stock price mattering I am not sure about. In my mind it shouldn't matter. The stock has already been sold, UPS doesn't get a dime from it being bought and sold at this point and there's no voting rights for the public shares. Hell in my mind I say let it tank and UPS can rebuy the shares back at a song! I know I'd damn near begger the family if I could pickup 100's of shares at $30 a throw!! I say let them tank, we'll all buy them back, then lets have a split, say a 3 for 1. I still want the 57 cent quarterly dividend though! :happy-very: I am not greedy am I?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My current supervisor is much younger than I am, and he was a driver for about 6 weeks during peak.

That being said, he is a decent guy who is honest and upfront about his relative lack of experience and he has enough humility to listen when someone like myself with 25 years makes a suggestion or explains a situation to him. I dont have a problem with working for someone younger and less experienced than I am as long as they listen to me and do not try to pretend that they know what they dont know. He made his career choice and I made mine; we both want the operation to succeed; so its up to him whether he wants to take advantage of my knowledge or not.

Managing people is a different skill set than driving and delivering out of a package car, especially in todays UPS where there is an emphasis on automation and computer skills.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
They pushed our start time forward to 9:30 a few weeks ago and ever since then I have had guarantee pay as part of my check.

Yup. I hadn't had guarantee pay in a long time but have had it in my last two checks. It's not much (less than 15 minutes). Yet my center manager wonders why I lowered my UW donation from $50/week to $10/week.

I wonder how you are able to do the same work in less time?
Did they lighten your load or are you just working faster thinking you need to get off at the usual time?
With this in mind, do you ever see your start time being moved back to the earlier time?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yup. I hadn't had guarantee pay in a long time but have had it in my last two checks. It's not much (less than 15 minutes). Yet my center manager wonders why I lowered my UW donation from $50/week to $10/week.

50 dollars a week is generous...i doubt many middle mgt folks give that much....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

50 dollars a week is generous...i doubt many middle mgt folks give that much....

Thank you. I would have loved to have kept if there but charitable contributions are made from discretionary income---lower my DD and my CC are lowered. Yes, the charity suffers, and I feel badly about that, but I also like to eat every now and then.

CAFAL

YES! Anything else I can answer for you?

Lets take a step back and look at the situation. It seems our On-Car Sups now-a-days were not drivers once themselves. Food for thought; Who gets the bigger paycheck, the On-Cars or the Drivers?

I have been with UPS 7 years now. I have been told that before I was with the company this was not the case. I was told the majority of the "Sups" came up through the driver ranks. Without doing the job day-in and day-out for at least a year (my opinion here) a person can not come close to having the full measure of everything we have to go through and deal with on a daily basis. That last statement goes both ways! As a driver I am not going to pretend to know exactly what my On-Car or center manager has to deal with and stress thats placed on them daily. Just as we drivers have to "deal" with our sups on 1 end and the customers on the other end, our sups have to deal with us drivers on 1 end and their boss's demands on the other end. Could the impossible dispatches we get in the morning be comming from the impossible demands our sups get hours before we arrive? Once we stop looking at the other "group" as the enemy, to be fought with at every interaction, and realize we are all in this together and that we can actually work together, this company will soar and we'll all be richer in every aspect of our lives.

To the OP- You have been presented with a wonderfull oppertunity should you chose to view it in the correct context. You have a new sup who you can take under your wing (yes under your wing as you have the years of experience in which to draw upon) and help him understand what "our job" entails. What has worked in the past and more importantly, what has not worked and why. You have a choice; Be combative at every juncture with this new sup. Or you can stop fighting just because he is in the "other group" and help him grow, thus making yourself a better person at the same time and making your life easier.

I am pretty sure the reason I see discipline as the go to action by management in resolving an issue or fixing a problem is because thats what they have been "conditioned" to expect from us drivers- confrontation or an outright fight in every interaction. We have done this to ourselves as drivers by viewing management as the enemy. Drivers are pretty damn good at making our customers happy and soothing things over with the customers when things go awry. This talent is one of the unspoken, unrecognized traits of our best drivers. We can not expect or demand this same skill set from the "other group" as they have not been given the oppertunity to develope these skills by driving for years. We can not stop using these skills once we get back to the building so, "work with them not against them."

This is the best post I've seen in a while. This attitude is the best way to make work life easier. The integrity in this post is the reason I am going into management. We are all on the same team. We all work hard,just do different jobs.