Safety Committees

Kidlogic

I was hoping that there was a safety committee out there that was being paid the training pay. I guess by the responses there is not. It would have made things easier to get safety back online.

cachmeifucan

You definitely don't want to work and that is fine as long as the work you do towards safety awareness and educating others actually helps people stay safe

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
The safety committee is useless. It doesn’t improve anything.
Yours maybe. Here in RI, it’s proven that we’ve reduced accidents and injuries by half. This issue is, in RI we aren’t afraid to tell drivers to sheet over 70’s missed if you don’t get help. Other pusillanimous safety committees are just an extension of management. Your local union should be involved and also the stewards. When was the last time your safety committee prevented a driver from leaving the building in an unsafe vehicle. Stuff like that doesn’t happen elsewhere and it gives legitimate committees a bad name.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yours maybe. Here in RI, it’s proven that we’ve reduced accidents and injuries by half. This issue is, in RI we aren’t afraid to tell drivers to sheet over 70’s missed if you don’t get help. Other pusillanimous safety committees are just an extension of management. Your local union should be involved and also the stewards. When was the last time your safety committee prevented a driver from leaving the building in an unsafe vehicle. Stuff like that doesn’t happen elsewhere and it gives legitimate committees a bad name.
That requires strong Local leadership and support.

Without it, all you say (which is true) is virtually impossible.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
So let me get this straight, your Safety Committe was shut down (I love it, no matter what the reason) because of the lack of "training pay"???

Why not file Article 17 grievances for the shortages, plus penalty pay when the amount reaches the threshold, if it's only about the pay???

For me, I think all Safety Committees nationwide should be disbanded until the Company truly gets serious about safety.
Not the Easy Money Company Suck Ups?
Yep the real ass kissers are on this
The same ones who work off the clock

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yep the real ass kissers are on this
The same ones who work off the clock
74344.jpg

Dirk Digler

Bam all done!!
We haven’t had a safety committe since last peak when they started the 70 hour work week. Everyone dropped out of it and never came back. It’s been almost a year.

ll_MDX_ll

Package humper
Safety committees overall is mixed bag of sorts. Guiding your co-workers to work properly and safely is great, however that's something that you'd normally be doing to a new hire anyway when working with them.

It seems like that's all they do anyway, other than setting up 'safety tables' every 1-2 weeks (covering same stuff you see in PCMs/training), and giving out 'safety bucks' to people working safely, which I barely ever see given away at all. Not really much that screams 'above-and-beyond' to me. They do have a cookout every end of the month for no injuries. However, I feel like that just encourages people to not report minor injuries, though I feel like most wouldn't even bother to anyway.

I got roped back into being the safety rep for my area since I am now the only candidate out of all 3 people on my belt. I did notice for that week I got an additional 'Training' pay for 40min of normal wage, I assume for attending a meeting, which is funny because I don't think it even lasted anywhere near that long. Though I'm not sure if being a safety rep is the same thing as being in the safety committee, I did get that extra pay, so I'm guessing our building is apparently one of the few that gives out extra pay for the safety committee.

anHOURover

Jesus Christ. How many locals have their committees run by UPS? We’ve only shut ours down when UPS wasn’t making safety a priority. It’s the unions committee. There is an allotment of hours that should be given on a monthly basis. All I can say is, there are a lot puppy dog committees all over the country. That’s not why the safety committees were created.
Sounds like you got a great safety committee. Does that make up for the part time feeder jobs and the crappy pension