Safety Compliance.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Rule #1...if you are going to wreck on a bike, you dont want to go where the bike is going. You are better off on your back sliding and slowly bleeding off kinetic energy, as opposed to slamming into a solid object or having the bike land on top of you. "Laying it down" is a last resort, but sometimes the only choice.

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
I agree with soberups and some times because of things that are out of your control your best chance is get off the bike, but it's the last resort. I'll seen people ride them in a ditch and back out with on problem and heard of others that tried it to do the same on a cliff. If you don't panic, and think before you react you have the best chance of walking away. You do have the most amount of control staying on your bike, but you just might not want to be on the bike when it comes to a stops.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The best safety, no matter what you're driving, is the safety you have beforehand. Be prepared and have that decision made in your mind before this unfortunate event occurs. When I got shot in the neck, I was on Canal street in NYC. It was 2pm and the place was crowded with people. Everybody went about their business, oblivious to my dilemma. I had already made up in my mind, before that day, that if I was ever hurt in this way, stabbing/shooting, I'd run for help.

As soon as I realized what happened, that's what I did. I had made up in my mind that I wasn't going to just lay there, like they do on TV, and die. That's why I believe it's always good to have an exit strategy planned, because you never know where or when, but you can sure know what your plan will be in whatever scenario happens.

helenofcalifornia

Steve, now I am just making a guess here, are you a Type A person? Do you drive your wife and kids nuts with all your excess energy or do they just tell you to take a bike ride? I get the feeling there is not enough hours in the day for your daily plans. Send me some of your excess please.

helenofcalifornia

I am on the safety committee too. My big push is to try and get new handtrucks. A recent audit has shown a need for new ones by the drivers. UPS has restricted uniform orders out here in addition to curtailing the ordering of new handtrucks. The mechanic can only fix the wheels, the handgrips and the springs. And we have to provide him with the grips and wheels if needed.

Things are getting real tough out here. I am going to have to break out some of the old shirts with the old logos soon. That will get some action.

rod

Retired 22 years
Steve, now I am just making a guess here, are you a Type A person? Do you drive your wife and kids nuts with all your excess energy or do they just tell you to take a bike ride? I get the feeling there is not enough hours in the day for your daily plans. Send me some of your excess please.

Don't let him fool you. He is actually one of those sterotypical old white haired ladies you see driving their dead husbands 1972 Caddy at 40 mph on any Florida hwy. We always called them Q-tips because from behind all you can see is a puff of white hair sticking up above the head rest:wink2:

P

pickup

That story and many other's are coming soon in my book, titled, the life and times of stevetheupsguy or STUG, by randomhouse. :wink2:

Hire me as the editor (Here's a free sample: use "others" as opposed to "other's" in your sentence). Sorry , I couldn't resist . :devil3:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hey Steve your story is great!!! I will be sure to share it with my co-workers!! It is great that you have stepped up to be safety co-chair!! I will send you what safety stuff we have!! I have a safety blog http://upssafetyfirst.blogspot.com/ will be adding stuff to it each week!!!

Thanks, Stran, already added it to my faves.

Today was my first annoying day as Safety Co-Chair. I get back from my route, park my TP60, and a driver calls my name and asks me to sit in the driver seat of his pkg car. He then starts complaining about how dirty the windshield is and how it's a safety concern. I tell him, okay, I'll get it taken care of, no prob. I walk over to the carwash guy, ask him if he can clean so and so's windshield, to which he replies, why didn't so and so just ask me? I shrug my shoulders and tell him thanks for helping me out.

Personally, I clean my own windshield, because nobody does it like I do, but that's just me. Was this really a safety concern? Btw, the windshield had the normal, everyday amount of dirt on it that I wouldn't have even thought twice about.

P

pickup

Thanks, Stran, already added it to my faves.

Today was my first annoying day as Safety Co-Chair. I get back from my route, park my TP60, and a driver calls my name and asks me to sit in the driver seat of his pkg car. He then starts complaining about how dirty the windshield is and how it's a safety concern. I tell him, okay, I'll get it taken care of, no prob. I walk over to the carwash guy, ask him if he can clean so and so's windshield, to which he replies, why didn't so and so just ask me? I shrug my shoulders and tell him thanks for helping me out.

Personally, I clean my own windshield, because nobody does it like I do, but that's just me. Was this really a safety concern? Btw, the windshield had the normal, everyday amount of dirt on it that I wouldn't have even thought twice about.

Steven, It reminds me of the joke "how many truck drivers does it take to change a lightbulb?" Answer: "20, 1 to change it and 19 to bitch about it."

rod

Retired 22 years
Not only did I usually wash my own windows but I also washed the inside of my package car out on those rare occasions when I just had a few pick ups. My check out time went through the ceiling and I usually heard about it but it sure was nice to have a clean inside.

helenofcalifornia

OK, now this is a stupid question,but exactley how do you wAsh your truck windows? What do you step on to get to the front of the windows? Do you use just rags or a squigee? I have wanted to wash My windows for awhile now, but carwash gets in a hussy fit if I ask for the tools at night. Go figure. The only way I can get them washed is by writing it up as "safety" on the DVIR. Sad.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
OK, now this is a stupid question,but exactley how do you wAsh your truck windows? What do you step on to get to the front of the windows? Do you use just rags or a squigee? I have wanted to wash My windows for awhile now, but carwash gets in a hussy fit if I ask for the tools at night. Go figure. The only way I can get them washed is by writing it up as "safety" on the DVIR. Sad.

Pull up to a hose, at your center or on area, and while running your windshield wipers, spray the water at the windshield. That's the easiest way. Another way is climbing up on your bumper with a rag, and going to town.

browndevil

Amen Sister! The carwasher that does the line I park in doesn't like to be told to DO his friggin job. So I have my certain spots on my route where I " go to town" with a hose and paper towels. I like a clean "office":happy2: