Safety Compliance.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Do our seat belts seriously meet the standards

i know this has been talked about meaning the 3-point harness.

but c'mon i would think if i offered to buy my own they should let me.

i'd feel much safer with one, pd over in maine did wells driver have 3-point when he was hit head on last week?
Yes he did. Lucky for him.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
backinbrown you out on comp?? what town you del to?? I'll send yah a pair of feeder pants to borrow till yah get back in shape !!

backinbrown

respect my authority
backinbrown you out on comp?? what town you del to?? I'll send yah a pair of feeder pants to borrow till yah get back in shape !!

lol feeder pants thats funny, no im out on short term disability.

i deliver out of wells, maine, i do route 1 saco and old orchard.

i dumped my harley, and tore my acl and meniscus.

I had surgery oct 10th to replace acl and remove part of my meniscus.

doing physical therapy 3 times a week.

should be back by end of febuary i hope.

UPSNewbie

I worked in the safety office while I was on TAW when I sprained my ankle. (Ironic) Pre-load shift safety money was used for new "tape guns" and nitrile dipped gloves. A few other things that are slipping my mind.

Unload management gave everybody a pop or water on wednesdays if there were no injuries for that week period.

backinbrown

respect my authority
I worked in the safety office while I was on TAW when I sprained my ankle. (Ironic) Pre-load shift safety money was used for new "tape guns" and nitrile dipped gloves. A few other things that are slipping my mind.

Unload management gave everybody a pop or water on wednesdays if there were no injuries for that week period.

They wont let me work at all not comp if it was comp they would have put me to work, they wont even let me go to my saftey meetings because they dont want me on the clock

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Doing O.O.B must be a :censored2: in the summer, at least yah can get a slice at Lisa's I thought Saco & OOB came out of PORME! thats a hike from Wells.I would hate to be the guy who does Perkins Cove, I'ts hard place to do even with out the ''Cute Guys" wathcing yah bend ovah to load the 2 wheeler lol lol lol

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
i dumped my harley, and tore my acl and meniscus.

That was always one of my biggest fears driving my Harley. Just the thought of going down on that made me cringe. I had it for 5 years then sold it before buying my house. I miss it every spring and summer, but am glad I never experienced that.

Glad to see you are doing all right, backinbrown !!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
That was always one of my biggest fears driving my Harley. Just the thought of going down on that made me cringe. I had it for 5 years then sold it before buying my house. I miss it every spring and summer, but am glad I never experienced that.

We had a drivers girlfriend's bike fall over on her leg, recently. Broke her ankle and she was out of work, from her supermarket job for over a month. This was after the driver had just gotten back to work from a broken wrist.

I've fallen, riding my bike, but it only weighs like 15 pounds, so it's not that bad, though falling at 15-25 mph can cause some ugly road rash. I'd show the other pictures, but I don't want to gross out the guys, with pictures of my very upper thigh.:happy-very:
100_1095.jpg

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I had an '02 Harley Fatboy. Over 700 lbs of mean machine. I'd rather fall off that 15lb schwinn than have that monster slide on me :happy-very:

outta hours

I look at safety as a personal responsibility to myself. We all know, or should know the right way to do things. We allow ourselves to be put into compromising positions either from the pressure of others( management), or our own attempt to take a shortcut to save time.

You can't put a SPORH or over/under allowed on safety. It doesn't work that way. Working safely and doing the job right takes time. If you are doing something to save time like running to doors,speeding,leaving bulkhead door open, not wearing seat belt,carrying more than you should,stacking boxes to high on two wheeler,etc. Then you are not working safely. I promise you that anything you to do "save time" is probably not a safe thing to do.

The big difference I have seen since going into feeders is in the area of safety. Safety really is number 1 at least in my dept. There is no talk of over or under or anything to do with the time needed to do the job correctly and safely. My fellow drivers will not compromise their safety for any reason.

Most package car supervisors I have known would sell their soul to make the numbers. They will pressure you with whatever tactic is necessary to make you do the job faster. I hear lots of complaints how management does not care about safety. And you know what they don't. It's strictly a numbers game with them. Their only concern is when something goes wrong. Sad but true.

So it is up to each of us to work safely for our own well being and our families. If everyone takes the time to do their job safely everyday, UPS will have no choice but to take notice and start putting safety first. Until then if safety is not first with you,then how can you expect it to be first with UPS.

At your next compliance meeting, ask your supervisor this question..."why will UPS pay thousands of dollars to have me take tests and perform audits, and yet refuse to retrofit my P-800 with a 3 point seatbelt that will save my life in a collision?"

You wont get an answer, because the brutal truth is this; UPS's so-called "commitment to safety" is a scam. Your safety means nothing to them, and never will. The only thing UPS cares about is bare minimum compliance with OSHA regs to avoid paying fines. An injured or dead employee can simply be replaced with one who makes $10 an hour less, will be in progression for two years, and has less vacations to pay for.

You sound bitter sober. There is plenty of room for improvement in my district. Thankfully concern for safety rises above the level of
"fine avoidance" or saving the company $10 p/hr because a higher paid driver was killed or permanently injured.

backinbrown

respect my authority

thank you

P

pickup

i know the cops call motorcycles "donorcycles" because the motorcyclists' injuries usually involve head trauma (irreversible coma, brain death) but leaves the vital organs (heart , kidneys , etc ) in great shape. Whereas a driver who dies in an automobile accident usually has those vital organs ruined by the impact with steering wheel.

deepsouthmamaw

my youngest son nearly died last summer on his he made it but lost his splean. had no head trama he was wearing a shoue helment expensive but the best. we still ride accidents will happen just try to be safe.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
When I started driving my Harley, I always had UPS safety jargon bouncing around in my head. Clearing intersections, anticipating red lights, being aware of your surroundings, road conditions, space cushions, became the norm for me on the bike. We all see on a daily basis other drivers not paying attention and almost causing incidents.

When you drive a bike, you feel more vulnerable to someone else on the road not being safe. Its been said a thousand times, no matter how great of a biker (driver) you think you are, it takes one person not paying attention to end your life.

While we are safer in a package car, thinking like a biker is a great piece of advice.