Safety concerns advice - Union Topic

SleepyD315

So i was wondering what should actions or steps a pre-loader like myself or a group should do about the unsafe conditions of our building. Our local 315 removed our safety committees because management was going out of there way to use safety violations as a way to punish employees. Not to mention management has been making our start times as late as 4/4:15/4:30am when we are the 3rd busiest hub in the region. Besides rapidly jamming packages down our throats for 3-3.5hrs before they gave us our union breaks back.(yes there were at least 10+ work shifts with no breaks ever called but I digress). The main issue I have is that since our building is deemed "unsafe" myself and a few other pre-loaders have been injured due to the conditions. One of my co-workers even had a head injury which caused her brain to bleed and she is suffering short term memory loss at the age of 41 and she is a single parent.
So what steps or actions can anyone provide to help improve the safety and quality of work at my hub? Our local 315 is strong but would someone reaching out to OSHA help?

10 Pt

First: If your picture or any of your co-workers is in your avatar REMOVE the pic.

Second: Has anyone filed an Art 18 grievance on any of these issues?

Third: WRITE (yourself or your group) and sign a letter to your area's OSHA office depicting all of the unsafe work conditions that you can document and add your contact information (phone numbers and email addresses). They will physically come into your facility and investigate the unsafe work conditions you've listed in your letter.
They will NOT give your names to the company.

Contacting OSHA should be your last resort but in your case it sounds like it's overdue. The reason behind the head injury with bleeding of the brain isn't detailed in your post but that should have been reported already.

Most importantly, do not call in a report...
write, sign and mail (or fax or email) the documents to OSHA. Include your contact information. Things will start to change at that point because if the same infractions are reported a second time and OSHA validates your second correspondence issues the fine they levy will be deemed "willful" and the next fine can be up to 30 times the first fine.

SleepyD315

10pt:
Didn't realize my Avatar was my Facebook photo. Thank you for the well sound advice. I'll definitely make sure this information gets shared to my co-workers who have been recording our daily shift conditions.

IntheGame:
The one day I didn't take any video or pictures of my truck set and surrounding sets. I had 2 seperate bulk orders in which my sup was telling at me for blow bys. I ended up slipping while caring boxes since there wasn't any EGRES the whole 300 belt side from top to to splitter. As I slipped and twisted my back while falling, I screamed at the top of my lungs :censored2: this place, it's unsafe.

At the end of the day, it won't be cost effective when all that money they think their saving by turning up the belts and jamming as much volume down our throats each hour will do. The toll on our bodies will eventually come to fruition and the amount of injuries will outweigh managements "cost effective" strategy.

SleepyD315

Off the top of my head to list a few safely violations that I have photos I've taken to back up any claims

Part Number: 1910
• Part Title: Occupational Safety and Health Standards
• Subpart: D
• Subpart Title: Walking-Working Surfaces
• Standard Number: 1910.22
• Title: General requirements.

1910.22(c) Access and Egress

A bunch of co-workers have videos of asking for serious assistance only for an immediate supervisor to purposely ignore or even bad mouth that employee in need to others.

1910.22(a)(3)
Sharp objects not removed from walking-working surface.
Light broke above a pre-loader showering himself, packages inside and outside of the truck with shards of glass. Not to mention inside the truck.
The belt Supervisor that day got mad the employee got sent home because he had glass all over him. Refused to have the work area, walk way and packages cleaned off. If somebody didn't tell the driver, be could seriously gotten cut.

It's a pretty common sight to see employees snapping pictures and videos these days In any workplace environment

10 Pt

Off the top of my head to list a few safely violations that I have photos I've taken to back up any claims

Part Number: 1910
• Part Title: Occupational Safety and Health Standards
• Subpart: D
• Subpart Title: Walking-Working Surfaces
• Standard Number: 1910.22
• Title: General requirements.

1910.22(c) Access and Egress

A bunch of co-workers have videos of asking for serious assistance only for an immediate supervisor to purposely ignore or even bad mouth that employee in need to others.

1910.22(a)(3)
Sharp objects not removed from walking-working surface.
Light broke above a pre-loader showering himself, packages inside and outside of the truck with shards of glass. Not to mention inside the truck.
The belt Supervisor that day got mad the employee got sent home because he had glass all over him. Refused to have the work area, walk way and packages cleaned off. If somebody didn't tell the driver, be could seriously gotten cut.

It's a pretty common sight to see employees snapping pictures and videos these days In any workplace environment
Investigate the OSHA citation in Sharonville, Ohio (I think it was 2007/2008) where the company agreed to train ALL their facilities and comply with egress rules or pay the fine they were levied.

If your local is a strong one you can let them know what you're doing.
Our local, on the other hand, tried to step in and take over the OSHA investigation leaving us in the dark. The OSHA agent told some of us that and said that he would not let them interfere or short circuit any investigation. They fined our building a chunk of cash and set a precedent for what was ahead if further infractions arose and were validated.

You have to protect your own health and if you're being harassed for doing that this avenue will get people's minds right because it involves paying out lots of money if found guilty.