Safety Concerns

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The tragedy in Orland will have the government focused on FedEx for the near future. Now is the time to inform your local DOT/Highway Patrol (or whatever agency in your state) enforces vehicle safety. Instead of ignoring you, they might actually pay attention.

Anyone who works for Express knows the way they push for productivity and disregard safety. Our turn is coming, and accidents are way up and climbing. I suspect it's similar at the other opcos, and we already know Ground's safety record sucks.

There is no way you can be "safe" when you are overtasked, and then threatened with discipline if you cannot keep up the pace (SPH). As usual, they want their cake and be able to eat it too. Slogans, posters, and all of the rest of the hype mean nothing when you are placed directly in a position to fail.

If and when you have an accident, FedEx is going to throw you beneath the bus because they told you to "Be Safe" and had you watch the video(s). I guess that passes for a safety culture these days.

The next time someone I fired for lack of productivity, perhaps the judge will listen when the courier says they were just trying to be safe.

thedownhillEXPRESS

The tragedy in Orland will have the government focused on FedEx for the near future. Now is the time to inform your local DOT/Highway Patrol (or whatever agency in your state) enforces vehicle safety. Instead of ignoring you, they might actually pay attention.

Anyone who works for Express knows the way they push for productivity and disregard safety. Our turn is coming, and accidents are way up and climbing. I suspect it's similar at the other opcos, and we already know Ground's safety record sucks.

There is no way you can be "safe" when you are overtasked, and then threatened with discipline if you cannot keep up the pace (SPH). As usual, they want their cake and be able to eat it too. Slogans, posters, and all of the rest of the hype mean nothing when you are placed directly in a position to fail.

If and when you have an accident, FedEx is going to throw you beneath the bus because they told you to "Be Safe" and had you watch the video(s). I guess that passes for a safety culture these days.

The next time someone I fired for lack of productivity, perhaps the judge will listen when the courier says they were just trying to be safe.
Bravo MFE!
I agree with all you said and would like to point out the negligence in upper management and it's decision to just try and make all couriers a rotating and dispensable item.Sure on paper it might look good to your Wall Street buddies but the reality is one of all the death and destruction it's causing....If there is an afterlife I expect it to be very hot for the "big shot" fedex cost cutters who have whored out the working man.

vantexan

I wonder if they'll cancel the next raise to pay for all the lawsuits that will come out of the accident. Could amount to hundreds of millions.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I wonder if they'll cancel the next raise to pay for all the lawsuits that will come out of the accident. Could amount to hundreds of millions.
Possible but the lawsuits will drag out for the better part of a decade.
The moral compass at the top of fedex I'm sure will have no problem using that as an occasional excuse over the years though.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Possible but the lawsuits will drag out for the better part of a decade.
The moral compass at the top of fedex I'm sure will have no problem using that as an occasional excuse over the years though.

There is no moral compass at the top. And you have become a realistic soul, not a bitter soul. If you, or anyone else had come to me 10 years ago and said FedEx was corrupt, clueless, and evil, I would have argued against it. Not now.

thedownhillEXPRESS

You've become a very bitter soul.
I respectfully disagree...
I don't think I'm bitter.My wife and I do well for ourselves,much better than the average Fedex employee.I'm just screaming at the dishonesty and hypocrisy as I see it.I agree with your position that all of corporate America is treating wage earners this way.
That does not make it right,but it also shouldn't preclude people who are in a better position in life,or one of many of us old holdovers with actual educations and standing in our community to call out shady practices and out right BS from the "all American"corporations some of us work for.
Silence does society little good.I believe its a Churchill quote that says all that it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.So yes BB,I believe I am one of the good men trying to point out one of the many evils overtaking our society.

vantexan

I respectfully disagree...
I don't think I'm bitter.My wife and I do well for ourselves,much better than the average Fedex employee.I'm just screaming at the dishonesty and hypocrisy as I see it.I agree with your position that all of corporate America is treating wage earners this way.
That does not make it right,but it also shouldn't preclude people who are in a better position in life,or one of many of us old holdovers with actual educations and standing in our community to call out shady practices and out right BS from the "all American"corporations some of us work for.
Silence does society little good.I believe its a Churchill quote that says all that it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.So yes BB,I believe I am one of the good men trying to point out one of the many evils overtaking our society.
Franklin D. Roosevelt actually.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Huge amounts of info about this guy,too much to get into here.nevertheless I like it and agree with the thought 200 and some odd years from the original quotation.

thedownhillEXPRESS

And you're missing the whole point altogether. I guess Fred's convinced you to look the other way.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I think BB gets it.He just likes to instigate some and is in a slightly different position than us Express folks.His morals align with ours (in my opinion,)he just like to push buttons.

DontThrowPackages

Huge amounts of info about this guy,too much to get into here.nevertheless I like it and agree with the thought 200 and some odd years from the original quotation.
LOL "200 and some odd years.." How about, "I was really too honest a man to be a politician and live"... Socrates 400 B.C.
Seems many things never change.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
And yes, they would happily use something like this as justification for pay cuts. This corporation is making money hand over fist yet continually whines to the hourly employees the exact opposite.
This company would gladly rid itself of couriers (and customers too) if there was a way.

Sent using BrownCafe App