Safety Improvements For The Future!

A

anonymous6

We have to pull the key when we leave the cab, right? Well I understand why but what if someone jumped in and released the brakes?.

So in the future we'll have to LOCK the cab everytime we get out. Safety.

WAIT!

Someone could have a spare key . The mechanics told me that one key can open up to 10 tractors.

We'll have to have a spotter employee to ride along to make sure no one gets into the cab and releases or drives away with the rig.

WAIT

Ups is not going to do that. costs too much. That leaves us UNSAFE.

Now what? Maybe install alarms and shut down systems so that an ounauthorized person does not enter tractor and wreck havoc.

They'll have to install thumbprint and or IRIS readers before you can enter and start a tractor.

Maybe that can be circumvented too.

So, we will have to be locked in the tractor for the whole shift. When you get to the hub someone else will have to break up the set for you so you;ll be SAFE and NEVER get out of the tractor.

They'll install a catheter into every driver to take care of that problem and it will be the drivers responsibility to take care of number two before the start of his or her shift.

In the future.

Did i leave anything out??????? What are some other safety "improvements" do you all see in the future?

We have to pull the key when we leave the cab, right? Well I understand why but what if someone jumped in and released the brakes?.

So in the future we'll have to LOCK the cab everytime we get out. Safety.

WAIT!

Someone could have a spare key . The mechanics told me that one key can open up to 10 tractors.

We'll have to have a spotter employee to ride along to make sure no one gets into the cab and releases or drives away with the rig.

WAIT

Ups is not going to do that. costs too much. That leaves us UNSAFE.

Now what? Maybe install alarms and shut down systems so that an ounauthorized person does not enter tractor and wreck havoc.

They'll have to install thumbprint and or IRIS readers before you can enter and start a tractor.

Maybe that can be circumvented too.

So, we will have to be locked in the tractor for the whole shift. When you get to the hub someone else will have to break up the set for you so you;ll be SAFE and NEVER get out of the tractor.

They'll install a catheter into every driver to take care of that problem and it will be the drivers responsibility to take care of number two before the start of his or her shift.

In the future.

Did i leave anything out??????? What are some other safety "improvements" do you all see in the future?

Yes...do the same as with your personal vehicle...pull the key!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
They are going to put a video in the mens room to show how to properly wipe yourself so we wont get a paper cut!! They are way out of control!!

City Driver

to be fair to them, yes they have many many stupid rules, but pulling the key when you leave the cab should always be done.....if you get out and check your slack adjusters and somebody decides you are blocking them in and starts to move your tractor, that might not end up very good

City Driver

we should all have to text safety exams everyday, 500 questions, before the shift...on the clock of course

and when we finish they will grade it, and go over each question with us and tell us why the answer was right or wrong

then theyll say ok now get to work and hurry up we gotta be done by 10 no matter what

to be fair to them, yes they have many many stupid rules, but pulling the key when you leave the cab should always be done.....if you get out and check your slack adjusters and somebody decides you are blocking them in and starts to move your tractor, that might not end up very good

Which can be solved by one simple rule. Touch someone elses equipment and you`re fired. Make it a cardinal sin to make the point. Personally I`ve never heard of another driver doing this. The accident we heard of that prompted the "pull the key" rule was caused by a member of management moving a drivers vehicle.
As far as safety in situations where security, or at our barn an auditor for hazmat, needs to deal with a truck they should be trained to make sure the driver pops the brake rather than the key. As stated above,the key is incidental if the truck will still roll.

City Driver

i think if you do that your playing with fire......you shouldnt move somebody elses truck no but they shouldnt leave the key in it in the first place

just my opinion...we had a guy killed in our yard about 10 years ago because of that

i think if you do that your playing with fire......you shouldnt move somebody elses truck no but they shouldnt leave the key in it in the first place

just my opinion...we had a guy killed in our yard about 10 years ago because of that

My question,was he killed by the key or the person who touched his rig?

bluehdmc

Pulling the key is just 1 more insurance for my own personal safety. Remember you are the one ultimately responsible for your own safety, you can take chances if you want to, and maybe get away with it 99 times, but that 100th time could kill you.
Yes I agree, someone should not get into a truck that's all hooked up and move it with out at least assurring that there is no one under it or behind it. The person who does move something without at least insuring no one is under it should be FIRED!
The person who get under a truck, leaving the key in the ignition isn't that intelligent either. Yes the truck could roll if someone released the brakes, but at least you've taken steps towards your own personal safety.

City Driver

we dont have wheelchocks really, a few guys keep one on there tractor but i never did

as long as the brakes are set and you got the key you should be good

A

anonymous6

I totally agree. We had a mechanic that was almost killed while adjusting someones brakes and while underneath the driver took off.

That's why I wrote that we should also lock the cab.

the rest was meant as a joke.

upssup

Around here we do not need brakes, other package cars, tractors or trailers will stop the forward movement of the roll away, at least that must be what our drivers think.

Hangingon

We had a driver lock his tractor at a rest stop, then when he came out found out that the key on the ring doesn't unlock his door. As I left dispatch I overheard the Division safety sup asking an on-road if there were any methods that he didn't follow that would have prevented this road call. Sounds like there will be another element added to the pretrip.

lazydriver

At the trailer shop you give the mechanic the keys to the tractor before he is allowed to work on the trailers. I think Connecticut requires wheel chocks be carried on the tractors.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I think it is pretty well understood that you don't jump in any one elses tractor and move it . Adding a rule that covers the issue wouldn't be a bad thing and really it would go un-noticed because it is already being employed. Locking the cab would be the only sure way of knowing the tractor won't move . Sooner or later this will be a requirement I'm sure. What a pain in the ass that will be for someone shifting in their yard in a tractor:sick:

klein

Für Meno :)
More safety training in the future, esspecially to learn the moonwalk.
Because, no more stay at home suspensions.
They'll send you to the moon, with a load, or package, that requires a signature (no DR) !! And, you'll have to wait until the next astronount comes up, and signs, so you can head back home.

I can just visualize that brown moon suite and brown helmut.

United Parcel Space-program

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
They are going to put a video in the mens room to show how to properly wipe yourself so we wont get a paper cut!! They are way out of control!!

So you have used the bathroom in Hartford !!!! lol

Usually the toilet tissue wrapper is softer than the tissue itself. :happy-very: