Safety Is Not Your Responsibility

Mom says her husband " You make sure you watch him." before sending them off for a day at the shore.

A father takes his son to the beach.

The father fully trains his son on safe ocean swimming.

The boy recites back the 10 point commentary of safe ocean swimming.

The swim begins.

The father observes from his beach chair.

The boy violates each and every point on the 10 point commentary in full view of the father.

The father does nothing.

The boy runs into trouble and drowns.

Is not the father the one responsible for this boys drowning even though it is the boys own fault for not swimming safe?

Just so you know, if mom was there to audit dad he would done things much differently.

The boy would actually still be alive if it was on the day of an audit.

Sincerely,
I
Now you're speaking in parables.

I like that... since Integrity refuses to release any kind of personal info at all, sounds good...... how does that make you feel Sally?
I've conversed with him and know who he is. His secret is safe with me and I can vouch for him. He is a little weird I'll say this but he has people's safety at heart. He makes it easy to bust his chops but for this reason and the other one I stated earlier you won't catch me doing it anymore. He ain't bad guy he's just concerned and kinda a zealot. What can I say the way ups has changed in the last thirteen years I think it's inspired a lot of zealots and people who are broken hearted at how this place has changed and become.

tourists24

I've conversed with him and know who he is. His secret is safe with me and I can vouch for him. He is a little weird I'll say this but he has people's safety at heart. He makes it easy to bust his chops but for this reason and the other one I stated earlier you won't catch me doing it anymore. He ain't bad guy he's just concerned and kinda a zealot. What can I say the way ups has changed in the last thirteen years I think it's inspired a lot of zealots and people who are broken hearted at how this place has changed and become.
I respect that and you also.... I happen to not share that opinion though.... Ive spoke with him/her also and got nothing at all. Until I do I have little respect for any postings.... to me you dont need to reveal your actual identity but its nice to have some sort of idea of who the heck you are dealing with. Sally has never done so in any way shape or form so I cant form any respect of any level

I respect that and you also.... I happen to not share that opinion though.... Ive spoke with him/her also and got nothing at all. Until I do I have little respect for any postings.... to me you dont need to reveal your actual identity but its nice to have some sort of idea of who the heck you are dealing with. Sally has never done so in any way shape or form so I cant form any respect of any level
He is a man with kids and his wife who loves him. He sees his company doing things that he doesn't respect and it hurts him. I'm as union as they come but I also love being a upser and to a point love my company. I thank god everyday for this place and what it does for my family but I've seen and been through things in the past that have truly broken my heart. Ive told my close friends this and they say it's gay but unless you really have it in your heart you can't understand this statement. This place brings out the worst in people and also the best. We are the best and the hardest workers in the industry. We are a family and a disfunctuonal one at that.

tourists24

He is a man with kids and his wife who loves him. He sees his company doing things that he doesn't respect and it hurts him. I'm as union as they come but I also love being a upser and to a point love my company. I thank god everyday for this place and what it does for my family but I've seen and been through things in the past that have truly broken my heart. Ive told my close friends this and they say it's gay but unless you really have it in your heart you can't understand this statement. This place brings out the worst in people and also the best. We are the best and the hardest workers in the industry. We are a family and a disfunctuonal one at that.
nothing gay at all about your statements.... very nice....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Mom says her husband " You make sure you watch him." before sending them off for a day at the shore.

The swim begins.

The boy violates each and every point on the 10 point commentary in full view of the father.

The father does nothing.

Is not the father the one responsible for this boys drowning even though it is the boys own fault for not swimming safe?

Just so you know, if mom was there to audit dad he would done things much differently.

Sincerely,
I

Holy Crap, that prodigal son ain't coming back!

satellitedriver

What dipstick needs a sign to tell them to be safe?
Signs are everywhere to caution, control and protect.
Mainly signs in the workplace are just there to protect the company from litigation.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

The swim begins.

The father does nothing.

Sincerely,
I

Is this why we have telematics????
NOT

Taking a page from your playbook I, when does personal responsibility come into affect in our workplace?

Insincerely,
Bubble

Buck Fifty

Wut,

I don't see the contradiction.

Employees are responsible for doing what they are told/trained.

If he says employer ! more time, I'm gonna ....

Employees don't train themselves or set the parameters for training. Employers do.

Employers are responsible for enforcing all safety training at all times. Productivity must come after safety.

Employers are responsible to see that employees who refuse to do what they are told/trained either change or leave the company.

Sincerely,
I

Buck Fifty

I, even if you're right, the company will never admit it. This sign has more to do with assignment of blame than anything. If we get hurt, the company find a way to blame us. If we have an accident, the company will find a way to blame us. No matter what happens, everything comes back on the hourlies. No matter what the company failed to do, we failed to do something that will result in us being blamed.

This would be why we take it on ourselves to be SAFE. No Leverage !!!

Buck Fifty

Safety meaning a safe workplace is the employers responsibility, that means:
no jagged metal things to hurt the workers, no open pits of lava etc... they provide a safe work environment.

But it also means it is the employers responsibility to train employees to also be safe in areas where danger is inherent (behind moving trucks as cited earlier)

We have not been trained, we have been Programmed !!!

We have all been trained to be safe, of course common sense prevails, if you pour hot water on your hand out of the
water cooler(some have heat) this is your fault, not the fault of the company for having hot water available.

I, you really stretch this one.
perhaps the sign should read "being safe is your responsibility" "this safe workplace is provided by UPS"

Buck Fifty

The swim begins.

The father does nothing.

Sincerely,
I

It could happen, NOT ON MY BEACH FRONT. Ya know the one in Arizona !!!

bluehdmc

I'm the one responsible for my own safety, one reason is because I don't want to get hurt because it doesn't feel good. The company doesn't want us to get hurt either. They have other rea$ons. I've seen people do things unsafely, violated what they've been trained to do/not do and when I observed them they got away with it. I didn't say anything to them, it's not my responsibility to. I really don't want to hear a reply that I am not a manager either.

I will agree sometimes all the signs, messages recieved, etc. can be an annoying pain in the *** but when I comes down to it, do I work safely when I'm being watched and not when I'm alone?

It's in my best intere$ts to work safely and to be safe outside work and to observe good safety practices, some of which I learned long before I went to work for UPS.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Is this why we have telematics????
NOT

Taking a page from your playbook I, when does personal responsibility come into affect in our workplace?

Insincerely,
Bubble

Bubblehead,

Each employee is personally responsible for working according to UPS Standards and training (including all safety training), national laws and local laws.

Each employee is also personally responsible for reporting to the company any situation where UPS standards or national and local laws are being violated.

The employer is responsible for the safety of the workplace.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
What dipstick needs a sign to tell them to be safe?
Signs are everywhere to caution, control and protect.
Mainly signs in the workplace are just there to protect the company from litigation.

satellitedriver,

Please explain to me how and what type of litigation signs in the workplace are intended to protect the company from.

Thank You.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
This would be why we take it on ourselves to be SAFE. No Leverage !!!
ICU,

You are speaking for a group now.

Please explain what "taking it on ourselves to be SAFE" means.

I do not understand what you mean.

What does this practically look like in a given day at your work place?

Thanks for participating in this discussion.

Sincerely,
I