Safety or lack of it, should I be concerned?

gingerkat

This is my first time as a helper and I love it - so far. Today is day 3 and all of my safety training is gone. Actually day one, I was breaking all of the rules. If I told you what I was doing, you probably would shake your head. He was sort of encouraging it so he could get home before it was too late. I'm not complaining, but I'm a little worried as it's just going to get busier and I'm afraid of making some serious mistakes.

Today he had about 200 stops both business & residential and I met him at 10:00 and we finished before 5:00. I'm sheeting all my own stops now and even closed out 5 of his pick ups today, so I think I'm doing okay.

Should I say something? I already said something the first day, but he said that "nobody really pays attention and to just be careful". Just wanted a little advice.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Buckle up, use the hand rail and stay up right. The fact that you are sheeting on your own is huge. Sounds like you are with a runner gunner. You were supposed to be my helper by the way. Dammit!

gingerkat

I asked him to wait, belt was stuck, but he kept on rolling.
Walking with packages in hand down steps, given by him, so I couldn't use rail (not small one's either)
Walking backwards with packages down stairs
Jogging, even though I walk really really fast
Crossing in front of package car
Boxes taller than my head, walking up a huge flight of steps

I did initially say something about most of these things, but I'm his helper, so I just listen. I'm just trying to help him and do whatever he needs. I think he normally gets home before 5:00, but he gets an additional route at the holidays. He did tell me that I was the fastest helper he's had in about 20 years, so I guess that is a good thing?

edit: He is really great to work with. We have a lot of fun banter that makes our day move, but I don't want to get in trouble if a sup rolls up on us.

nmang2412

The way i look at it is a helpers job is basically to adapt to the driver. Just be as safe as YOU can be. Just get the seatbelt on its not the end of the world if your moving a little. Unless your buckle is wired!!! YOU MUST KEEP IN MIND your stops will increase! Dont burn yourself out too quickly.

gingerkat

Home by 5 you must work in the bubble of goodness. Tell upstate we all said hi.
Ummm... WTF? I'm a helper, therefore I have NO incentive to lie. I also do not know Upstate so I'm unsure why you are bringing him into this conversation.

Thanks for the helpful advice and stay I'll stay in that bubble of goodness you suggested. *end sarcasm*

laffter

You sound like you are in love with your driver. No rear door delivery in the back of the truck.

Although helpers are there to work, not converse with their drivers, being with someone you can have enjoyable conversations with is a huge difference compared to the alternative. There are two guys I've helped this season who I loved driving with. Unfortunately, they've started placing helpers "permanently" with drivers now, and this guy always uses his brother come sometime in December. The other guy doesn't required a helper daily. Anyway, it makes the day go by so effing fast. Sometimes it can feel as if you aren't even at work. The guy I'm with now, the same guy I helped last year during all of December, conversations can be a bit stale. The day isn't as enjoyable - you can definitely tell that you're working.

As far as being done by 5pm... there's one guy I helped this year, a true "runner gunner"... the first day, he had ~15 or so resi stops left by 3pm (pick-up time). The second day I helped him he had a few less stops, and we were at the same point by 2:30pm. I cannot recall how many stops he started off with, but I'm certain it's well over 200.

undies

Ummm... WTF? I'm a helper, therefore I have NO incentive to lie. I also do not know Upstate so I'm unsure why you are bringing him into this conversation.

Thanks for the helpful advice and stay I'll stay in that bubble of goodness you suggested. *end sarcasm*

I think he was referring to your delivery area, not you or your mentality. Some areas are very spoiled and drivers never have a reason to complain about anything.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Walking with packages in hand down steps, given by him, so I couldn't use rail (not small one's either)

I did initially say something about most of these things, but I'm his helper, so I just listen. I'm just trying to help him and do whatever he needs. I think he normally gets home before 5:00, but he gets an additional route at the holidays. He did tell me that I was the fastest helper he's had in about 20 years, so I guess that is a good thing?

edit: He is really great to work with. We have a lot of fun banter that makes our day move, but I don't want to get in trouble if a sup rolls up on us.

When I worked package and had a helper, I trained them to immediately unbuckle, lift the jump seat, and step down safely when I stopped, that way they would be ready for me to hand them the package after I opened the door and selected it (yes I kept the bulkhead door closed even during peak). I would train them that I would be parking so that from the door they could make a straight line walk path to the door or deliver point I would do if it were me (such as the carport) so they should just take that path unless I instructed them it was across the street. If there were two houses close to each other I would park so that the one with the heavies box was in that direct line, then tell them where the second would go. If the cart was needed I would be handing that out first so that we could load it with the tongue resting on the first cab step.

It seems to me that he's not using the proper selection methods if he has you waiting in the cab while he hands you packages. I would have a serious conversation with him about the seat belt as I would always do my in-car routine then look over to verify that the helper had theirs buckled before rolling. I liked to start without the clutch when I had an old P1000 which can cause it to buck sometimes so this was extra important. I would have a serious conversation with him regarding waiting til you are buckled in.

As far as jogging etc, you shouldn't be doing it and just stand up for yourself. If your load isn't optimal then ask for the handcart. If he doesn't want to give it then make multiple trips. A few times of that should produce the handcart without asking. You control which end of the package car you walk behind so just go the proper way. I wouldn't worry about being fired as it sounds to me like you are fast enough anyway and he is taking advantage.

UPS wants competent helpers who work quickly, but we want bid you farewell on December 24th and not have to pay Workers Comp for months afterward.

gingerkat

Thanks for all the replies.

To the fella that was talking about my "bubble of goodness"... today I asked my driver how many stops he normally does, and he said it's normally between 92-94 business stops. It's been a little over doubled for the holidays, so with me coming in at 10:00am and taking no lunch or breaks, we finish before 5:00 pm.

I'm fast when it comes to the buckling the belt and jumping in and out if the truck. I'm a tad on the impatient side myself, so I'm not one to wait to be told to move and do stuff. Today it was raining and I told him that I really don't want to get injured and asked if he could be a little patient? It's hard though, because he just tells me "hurry up honey, we have xxx stops left". He's over a foot taller than me and his stride is much longer than mine, and gave me grief when he beat me back to the truck, so I just gave up.

I did try and say that I wanted to follow the safety guidelines as much as possible, but he himself doesn't very well. Today, he was sliding boxes out the back to me to set on the ground, I told him to please tell me when a really heavy one was on it's way so I could make sure I was prepared...he forgot, sent 3 quickly, gave them too much gusto and it flew off the back and onto my foot. The one was about 50lbs and now my toe is buddied up and black and blue. Another grand moment was when he told me to sheet my stuff on the steps while he worked off the back, but he forgot what he said and came out the side like a bull with the dolly and smacked me in the face/chin with in. He felt so bad for about 10 minutes, but it didn't really stop him from being so unsafe with his methods.

This guy is so close to retirement he can smell it, because he tells me every other moment that he isn't telling me how many stops we have left. I went from really enjoying working with him to being really uncomfortable. He told me that last year in the first 2 weeks 3 people quit on him, and now I know why. I won't quit though, because that isn't my way.

OptimusPrime

Thanks for all the replies.

To the fella that was talking about my "bubble of goodness"... today I asked my driver how many stops he normally does, and he said it's normally between 92-94 business stops. It's been a little over doubled for the holidays, so with me coming in at 10:00am and taking no lunch or breaks, we finish before 5:00 pm.

I'm fast when it comes to the buckling the belt and jumping in and out if the truck. I'm a tad on the impatient side myself, so I'm not one to wait to be told to move and do stuff. Today it was raining and I told him that I really don't want to get injured and asked if he could be a little patient? It's hard though, because he just tells me "hurry up honey, we have xxx stops left". He's over a foot taller than me and his stride is much longer than mine, and gave me grief when he beat me back to the truck, so I just gave up.

I did try and say that I wanted to follow the safety guidelines as much as possible, but he himself doesn't very well. Today, he was sliding boxes out the back to me to set on the ground, I told him to please tell me when a really heavy one was on it's way so I could make sure I was prepared...he forgot, sent 3 quickly, gave them too much gusto and it flew off the back and onto my foot. The one was about 50lbs and now my toe is buddied up and black and blue. Another grand moment was when he told me to sheet my stuff on the steps while he worked off the back, but he forgot what he said and came out the side like a bull with the dolly and smacked me in the face/chin with in. He felt so bad for about 10 minutes, but it didn't really stop him from being so unsafe with his methods.

This guy is so close to retirement he can smell it, because he tells me every other moment that he isn't telling me how many stops we have left. I went from really enjoying working with him to being really uncomfortable. He told me that last year in the first 2 weeks 3 people quit on him, and now I know why. I won't quit though, because that isn't my way.

That's weird. Most of the guys I know who are close to retirement are as cool as the other side of the pillow. They don't give an ish about management, production standards, etc. Just let it all roll off of them. The one driver I know is great. He said because I covered his route during the miserable summer months while he was injured, he said I can have his Christmas loot. He said one stop alone is $100. Sweet.

As for "safety" I put it quotes for a reason. There is by the book, then there is the real world.

UPSGUY72

If we follow all the rules to a T nothing would get delivered.

Helps Quit all the time. I did 230 stops with a helper yesterday it was his first day he didn't show up today. I finally got a helper at 11:20 and and drop him at 6:00 after doing 243 stops...

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If we follow all the rules to a T nothing would get delivered.

Helps Quit all the time. I did 230 stops with a helper yesterday it was his first day he didn't show up today. I finally got a helper at 11:20 and and drop him at 6:00 after doing 243 stops...

I had a 3 hour helper. 11 to 2. We did 75 stops. At 3 when I started my pickups I had 105 off. 38 pickup stops deliver another 20 after 5, finish lunch and break, punch out at 6:55. I can't imagine doing 243 stops. My plan for 246 stops is a helper for 11.5 hours.

BCFan

I tell them sups all the time just because there are two butts in the seats that production does not double, plus I really dont give a flip how hard the helper works because at $8.50 per hour .....well we all know the rest. BC

browned out

I hope this is a planted post and you are management. If not, it is even worse and don't really don't care about your safety. The trouble will not be when a sup roles up on you. It will be when you sprain your ankle because you did not follow the methods. The trouble will be because you are seriously injured when the driver misses a gear before you are buckled and you bounce out of the car. If you asked the driver to wait and he ignored you; then you need to have a serious discussion with your driver. He is putting his safety above yours. You are putting your drivers job as well as yours in jeapordy.

Joke post or maroon............Maybe you are lifting with you back, not scanning your walkpaths, jumping out of the truck, not using the handcart and carrying over 70's by yourself, not calling out UPS, delivering to stops where dogs are present, etc, etc. Maybe you even hop on the package car when it's moving or jump out the window of a third floor delivery to save time.

Not too swift..Sparky or whatever your name is. Follow the methods. It could be the end of your world is the vehicle is moving and you are not buckled.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The "plan" called for me to have a helper. I asked not to have one. They said your really heavy though. Yeah I am and 95% of the route is rural a helper does me no good. Lighten dispatch get me help or just let me fight thru the day. Actually ended pretty good dispatch did a great job I had a ton but considering it was rural it was all pretty tight. Came in just under 12 before I ran misloads. I'm sure ill get ten more stops tomorrow lol.