Safety or lack of it, should I be concerned?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Again, thanks everyone that took the time to respond, even the crappy ones. I think I'm just going to quit as it's not worth it. Not because the work, but because of him. Today I told him that "excuse me" worked better than his hand on my ass, and for that I got to wait for him in the rain. I have a sneaky suspicion that he was doing that on purpose. So if I stand up for myself I get more work and if I go along with him, I might get seriously hurt. Can't win.

This guy really doesn't care about his work, he just wants to go home. At 4:45 he had 22 stops left, but left them for Monday because he wanted to go. I know for a fact I'm not suppose to touch high value stuff, but I called to him and told him to come in, but he didn't want to and said I could handle it. So, I did as he said, signed off 2 copies on $22,000 and brought it to the truck. I'm sure I'm the one that is going to be in trouble, but what else could I do? After that I said nothing and he looked at me with smile and said "oh, so now you're going to act like a sensitive silly woman?" Followed by, "you do really good and you shouldn't get down on yourself". That's like kicking a dog and then telling him he's a good dog.

And for those of you thinking it's a women's issue, that's insulting. I haven't complained to him about the work, not once. I don't ask for any special privileges, only asking to go to the bathroom once today. I don't plan on saying anything to anyone at all, so his livelihood is safe. I guess that is how they play it in a man's work world.

No way would I recommend you quit. Keep on showing up. Do the best you can. Anything above that, well, that's flying above your pay grade. Make them fire you. Do just what you're doing at your own pace, and don't raise above that. My guess is that he will accept that, and move on. Understand this: your driver is an exception. He is a class A stooge, Most likely, he has daddy and mommy issues. Leave it at there, and make your money. Do what most of us do when our managers demand more of us than we are willing to give: smile and say, "I'm doing the best I can."

Seriously, let them push you out. Do what you feel is safe and comfortable, and not a step above that.

Understand this: your driver is an anomaly. He is not normal. Protect yourself and make your money. Ignore his BS, and tell him to give you the next package. Also, constantly remind him, are you sure that was a safe driver release? I understand that that driver release will have YOUR name behind it. Was it safe? Repeat and rinse. Don't quit.

gingerkat

Thank you Dracula. Thank you for also being one of the one's that don't think I'm lying. I'm unsure why anyone would think that though? Anyway, I can't ice my brain -lol, so it's good night.

Thanks again to all!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Again, thanks everyone that took the time to respond, even the crappy ones. I think I'm just going to quit as it's not worth it. Not because the work, but because of him. Today I told him that "excuse me" worked better than his hand on my ass, and for that I got to wait for him in the rain. I have a sneaky suspicion that he was doing that on purpose. So if I stand up for myself I get more work and if I go along with him, I might get seriously hurt. Can't win.

This guy really doesn't care about his work, he just wants to go home. At 4:45 he had 22 stops left, but left them for Monday because he wanted to go. I know for a fact I'm not suppose to touch high value stuff, but I called to him and told him to come in, but he didn't want to and said I could handle it. So, I did as he said, signed off 2 copies on $22,000 and brought it to the truck. I'm sure I'm the one that is going to be in trouble, but what else could I do? After that I said nothing and he looked at me with smile and said "oh, so now you're going to act like a sensitive silly woman?" Followed by, "you do really good and you shouldn't get down on yourself". That's like kicking a dog and then telling him he's a good dog.

And for those of you thinking it's a women's issue, that's insulting. I haven't complained to him about the work, not once. I don't ask for any special privileges, only asking to go to the bathroom once today. I don't plan on saying anything to anyone at all, so his livelihood is safe. I guess that is how they play it in a man's work world.

Good Lord, where to begin.....

If you enjoy the work but no longer wish to deal with your driver's behavior...which is a textbook case of sexual harassment...you need to call the helper coordinator or HR person who hired you and explain the situation to them. There is a high turnover rate among helpers, so if you really want do do the work they might be able to just assign you to a different driver.

It is totally inapproprate for him to have his hand on your ass. It is totally inappropriate for him to make chauvanist comments about you being a "sensitive silly woman". And it is totally inappropriate for you to have to feel awkward about asking for reasonable opportunites to use a restroom.

I have a wife and a 24 yr old daughter and I would be pissed if I found out they were being treated in such a manner.

Dracula

I'm just telling it as it is..... You and I know the truth safety only comes into play when someone gets hurt or in an accident.

I'm not scared to stand up for myself I have not problem tell my SUPs what I'm thinking or that things need to change. But I also not going to drag my feet just to stick it to them. I do a fairs day work and I get a fairs day pay. What you and I considers a Fair days work if obviously not the same.....

Safety never gets a shortcut in my day. I'll leave a preload trailer on the door if it's not secured. Securing it is not my responsibility. And by DOT law, that trailer is TO BE secured. I don't leave until it is. If my tires are low on air, I don't leave.

Safety never leaves the picture. If it does, you're doing it all wrong, bud. Safety comes into play SO no one gets hurt or in an accident. The fact that I need to type that says a lot about your standing in your job.

soberups

My helpers are under strict instructions to YELL at me to STOP if I ever have a brain fart and start moving the car before they are buckled in. I also dont get impatient with them for fumbling with the buckle; its a poor design and is rather awkward to reach in a smooth motion, especially when it gets caught in the door track.

My helpers...females especially...dont "ask" for "permission" to use a restroom. They either go ahead use whatever one happens to be nearby, or they tell me that I will need to plan on being near one soon. In a normal workplace, an employee would never have to demean themselves by "asking permission" from their supervisor to use the restroom. Obviously, a rolling UPS truck isnt a "normal" workplace and some sort of communication about the issue is going to be necessary, but there is no reason that it has to be awkward or demeaning. People have to pee, its part of life.

One of the best helpers I ever had was a small gal with very little upper-body strength. She needed to use the handcart for a lot of packages that a stronger helper could have easily carried. However, she more than made up for it with a good work ethic and excellent DIAD skills. Once I learned to adapt and plan ahead for when she would need the handcart, it became a routine and the amount of time that was lost was negligible.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First off, don't quit. Second, do not sign for or accept high value packages---that is the driver's job. Third, if the driver grabs your ass, slap him in the face. Yes, I'm serious---if he does something inappropriate you do not have to take it---slap him in the face.

I have to be honest---you do sound like a bit of a drama queen---but if even half of what you say about this driver is true someone needs to let his on-car know what this guy is doing on-road.

There are 16 days left---maybe you should ask to work with another driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My helpers are under strict instructions to YELL at me to STOP if I ever have a brain fart and start moving the car before they are buckled in. I also dont get impatient with them for fumbling with the buckle; its a poor design and is rather awkward to reach in a smooth motion, especially when it gets caught in the door track.

My helpers...females especially...dont "ask" for "permission" to use a restroom. They either go ahead use whatever one happens to be nearby, or they tell me that I will need to plan on being near one soon. In a normal workplace, an employee would never have to demean themselves by "asking permission" from their supervisor to use the restroom. Obviously, a rolling UPS truck isnt a "normal" workplace and some sort of communication about the issue is going to be necessary, but there is no reason that it has to be awkward or demeaning. People have to pee, its part of life.

One of the best helpers I ever had was a small gal with very little upper-body strength. She needed to use the handcart for a lot of packages that a stronger helper could have easily carried. However, she more than made up for it with a good work ethic and excellent DIAD skills. Once I learned to adapt and plan ahead for when she would need the handcart, it became a routine and the amount of time that was lost was negligible.

I ask my helper to try to plan his restroom stops for when we are at a stop with a public restroom but to tell me if he can't wait and has to go.

Are you telling us that a helper who can use the DIAD is an asset and that putting in the time to train him/her is time well spent?

S

serenity now

this is not a helper posting

maybe it's the return of AssistantSanta in drag

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I agree, I asked him about that and he said that he was taking his lunch, plus his breaks and then give them to another driver to do, so he could leave. Maybe I'll a take a picture next time if that happens again, since I do have the other bulkhead key. Who gives their helper a key? Maybe I am trustworthy or he is untrustworthy

edited to add: those last stops were residential stops. He had to run the next day air relay, but I don't know why they don't make him do the OT to get those packages out. They send a van I think or another guy who wants the OT.

U said he was leaving them until. So which was it another driver took them? Or they got left until Monday?

soberups

I ask my helper to try to plan his restroom stops for when we are at a stop with a public restroom but to tell me if he can't wait and has to go.

Are you telling us that a helper who can use the DIAD is an asset and that putting in the time to train him/her is time well spent?

Obviously, a helper who is proficient with the DIAD is an asset.

Whether or not it is "worth" putting in the time to train him/her depends upon any number of variables. How much time? What sort of route is it? How good is the helper otherwise, in terms of work ethic, attitude, strength, reliability, etc.?

My personal experience on my route has shown me that it is easier for me to adapt to the abilities (or lack therof) of the helper than to try and change those abilities myself.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My personal experience on my route has shown me that it is easier for me to adapt to the abilities (or lack therof) of the helper than to try and change those abilities myself.

You can pretty much tell in the first 10 minutes what kind of worker your helper is and can adjust accordingly. The helper may want to just be a go-fer, relying on the driver to tell him which house and where to leave it. Others want more of a challenge. Thankfully mine is the latter.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I got done 45 minutes earlier yesterday without the helper then I did the day before with the same stop count and a 3 hour helper.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
GingerKat is a stalker - quit answering him/her (sounds like a him to me). http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/can-driver-asked-moved-off-route-346229/ (post #9)

I hope for the driver's sake that "it" is not really a helper this year.

Since I'm a customer, maybe you guys can clarify a little more for me. Cover driver has always been on this route when regular driver was out and I was just wondering if maybe they took him off because he appears to be a lot slower than regular guy or maybe he requested different route for a change of pace. Why do I care you ask? Oh my, how embarrassing.. because I have a mad crush on my little UPS boy and I miss seeing him. Oh and that is my last question, is there a policy against customers dating drivers, etc? Sorry guys, I know this is a bit ridiculous.

Agree. Who is harassing who?

gingerkat

U said he was leaving them until. So which was it another driver took them? Or they got left until Monday?
I'm sorry, this was unclear. He kept a few because he would deliver them Monday AM because they were right next to his business accounts.

I shouldn't even bother with the stupid ass stalker question, but I will address it. The cover guy as a matter of fact has come over many many times, but during work and after work, but when I found out he was married through another lady down the street, that ended. For that reason, I chose to apply at another hub. I did not want to take a chance getting stuck with him. If I really wanted to stalk him, he lives two streets over from me, I could stalk him that way. So you both can stalk this.

I don't need to beg anyone to go out with me.

gingerkat

I have to be honest---you do sound like a bit of a drama queen
So when some :censored2: grabs or spanks your daughter in the ass a few times and says the things he's said, I hope talk about it here. I'll be the first one that steps up and calls her a drama queen. So easy for you men out there to think I'm over reacting. Just think how you would feel if it was your wife, daughter, mother or sister.

gingerkat

For the rest of you that think I'm make this crap up... I don't know why I even thought I could get advice. I didn't ask for sympathy or empathy, just advice. What motives would anyone have to make up a story? So I could get fake helper of the year award? I should know after reading this board for some time, that seasonal & part timers just don't count here.

As a customer first, I always thought so highly of UPSers, mostly because of my regular driver and how he treats the people in our neighborhood. But it's pretty clear that so many out there really hate their jobs and hate their customers. I see that first hand with this guy and what he does with the packages.

So, just I'm thankful for the handful of you that were kind to me and gave me constructive advice and I still have faith in a few. Carry on and continue on with your theories. The brown uniform clearly comes with a curse.

Dracula

I'm just telling it as it is..... You and I know the truth safety only comes into play when someone gets hurt or in an accident.

I'm not scared to stand up for myself I have not problem tell my SUPs what I'm thinking or that things need to change. But I also not going to drag my feet just to stick it to them. I do a fairs day work and I get a fairs day pay. What you and I considers a Fair days work if obviously not the same.....

How is not following the methods not giving them a fair days work? The methods are THEIRS. I follow them whether the work gets done or not.