Safety or lack of it, should I be concerned?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Thanks for all the replies.

To the fella that was talking about my "bubble of goodness"... today I asked my driver how many stops he normally does, and he said it's normally between 92-94 business stops. It's been a little over doubled for the holidays, so with me coming in at 10:00am and taking no lunch or breaks, we finish before 5:00 pm.

I'm fast when it comes to the buckling the belt and jumping in and out if the truck. I'm a tad on the impatient side myself, so I'm not one to wait to be told to move and do stuff. Today it was raining and I told him that I really don't want to get injured and asked if he could be a little patient? It's hard though, because he just tells me "hurry up honey, we have xxx stops left". He's over a foot taller than me and his stride is much longer than mine, and gave me grief when he beat me back to the truck, so I just gave up.

I did try and say that I wanted to follow the safety guidelines as much as possible, but he himself doesn't very well. Today, he was sliding boxes out the back to me to set on the ground, I told him to please tell me when a really heavy one was on it's way so I could make sure I was prepared...he forgot, sent 3 quickly, gave them too much gusto and it flew off the back and onto my foot. The one was about 50lbs and now my toe is buddied up and black and blue. Another grand moment was when he told me to sheet my stuff on the steps while he worked off the back, but he forgot what he said and came out the side like a bull with the dolly and smacked me in the face/chin with in. He felt so bad for about 10 minutes, but it didn't really stop him from being so unsafe with his methods.

This guy is so close to retirement he can smell it, because he tells me every other moment that he isn't telling me how many stops we have left. I went from really enjoying working with him to being really uncomfortable. He told me that last year in the first 2 weeks 3 people quit on him, and now I know why. I won't quit though, because that isn't my way.

Tell me again why you'd put up with being treated this way for minimum wage, in the elements, physical labor, and 4 weeks of seasonal work where your hours vary from 6 to none each day? Is there no fastfood/retail joint within 10 miles of you?

gingerkat

I hope this is a planted post and you are management. If not, it is even worse and don't really don't care about your safety. The trouble will not be when a sup roles up on you. It will be when you sprain your ankle because you did not follow the methods. The trouble will be because you are seriously injured when the driver misses a gear before you are buckled and you bounce out of the car. If you asked the driver to wait and he ignored you; then you need to have a serious discussion with your driver. He is putting his safety above yours. You are putting your drivers job as well as yours in jeapordy.

Joke post or maroon............Maybe you are lifting with you back, not scanning your walkpaths, jumping out of the truck, not using the handcart and carrying over 70's by yourself, not calling out UPS, delivering to stops where dogs are present, etc, etc. Maybe you even hop on the package car when it's moving or jump out the window of a third floor delivery to save time.

Not too swift..Sparky or whatever your name is. Follow the methods. It could be the end of your world is the vehicle is moving and you are not buckled.

Maybe you should read my post, because the stuff you listed is nothing I said. So you listen Sparky, my "planted" post is real and my driver is real. I did have a conversation about why I like to follow rules, etc. and he laughed it off saying I'm too "square" and I'll be okay. He told me that if I flew out the door I would have a nice settlement from UPS and I wouldn't have to worry. I told him that wouldn't be able to enjoy anything when I was sipping my food through a straw...more laughter.

He just wants to go home! His business clients even get irritated with him for coming too early, and have a special nickname for him. So don't insult me by saying it's planted because drivers that are unsafe are not going to announce this at the hub.

gingerkat

Tell me again why you'd put up with being treated this way for minimum wage, in the elements, physical labor, and 4 weeks of seasonal work where your hours vary from 6 to none each day? Is there no fastfood/retail joint within 10 miles of you?
There are 30 or 40 fast food places, but he's so worked up on the count that we just don't have time. After today and one other major thing that is happening I have to figure out what to do. As much as all of the safety stuff, I'm really enjoy this job and working with people. All my jobs have been behind a desk, so I like the physical labor, and don't mind working in the elements (minutes the heat, but it's winter). I'm not doing this for the money, so hours don't really matter.

Nickfury7

Wish I had you as a helper. I got a fat African guy that can barely walk. Even though I'm getting done by 330 all week with an hour lunch, I did 228, 263, 272, 248, and 128 today. Lol. But after I get done my stuff I have to go help people. And there jamming it all in a p500.

raceanoncr

Ginger...I ain't gonna say much on this (yeah, I say that all the time) only that you infer this guy's as nice as Mr. Rogers yet demeans you as he does? "Honey"?

HE wants to go home by 5? Well, I'm kinda sorry but this job has never been like that. In my 3 yrs in package car and 30 in feeders, I NEVER got to go home by "5".

He chooses to skip safety procedures and encourages YOU to do so also? He says you can get a big settlement if you get hurt here? Is he gonna bring you flowers in the hospital?

To me, this guy needs an adjustment. He needs to be set down and be set straight. He knows you're the best helper he's had for 20 yrs and if you threaten to quit or turn him in for placating you or pushing you to break rules that could harm you, it may, well, temporarily, make him back off. Resent you, YES. Do you care?

A little personal example here: Years ago, the manager was training a new sup to train drivers. Who'd they pick? Yeah, me. 3 of us on a package car all day. One dock stop, I backed in, walked about 5 overhead doors down to inbound steps, went over to package car door, did my thing, walked back down steps. Manager asked why I didn't jump off dock to save time. I asked if he was kidding me. End of conversation.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
If we follow all the rules to a T nothing would get delivered.

Helps Quit all the time. I did 230 stops with a helper yesterday it was his first day he didn't show up today. I finally got a helper at 11:20 and and drop him at 6:00 after doing 243 stops...

Yeah, maybe in your world. It NEVER fails, clowns like you are always the ones who get hurt or get in accidents. If you separate the rules from the real world, then you are going too fast, and/or doing it all wrong. I can't count how many people I've worked with over the years who got hurt, or in an accident, then tell management, "I wasn't following the methods because I felt rushed, or under pressure to get done." There is no help for workers in that category. Ask any steward here. friend$cking up because you didn't follow the methods is hard for any steward to defend.

You sound like you're scared to stand up for yourself.

And the OP's driver sounds like a real candied-ass tool.

Integrity

Binge Poster
This is my first time as a helper and I love it - so far. Today is day 3 and all of my safety training is gone. Actually day one, I was breaking all of the rules. If I told you what I was doing, you probably would shake your head. He was sort of encouraging it so he could get home before it was too late. I'm not complaining, but I'm a little worried as it's just going to get busier and I'm afraid of making some serious mistakes.

Today he had about 200 stops both business & residential and I met him at 10:00 and we finished before 5:00. I'm sheeting all my own stops now and even closed out 5 of his pick ups today, so I think I'm doing okay.

Should I say something? I already said something the first day, but he said that "nobody really pays attention and to just be careful". Just wanted a little advice.

Thanks for all the replies.

To the fella that was talking about my "bubble of goodness"... today I asked my driver how many stops he normally does, and he said it's normally between 92-94 business stops. It's been a little over doubled for the holidays, so with me coming in at 10:00am and taking no lunch or breaks, we finish before 5:00 pm.

I'm fast when it comes to the buckling the belt and jumping in and out if the truck. I'm a tad on the impatient side myself, so I'm not one to wait to be told to move and do stuff. Today it was raining and I told him that I really don't want to get injured and asked if he could be a little patient? It's hard though, because he just tells me "hurry up honey, we have xxx stops left". He's over a foot taller than me and his stride is much longer than mine, and gave me grief when he beat me back to the truck, so I just gave up.

I did try and say that I wanted to follow the safety guidelines as much as possible, but he himself doesn't very well. Today, he was sliding boxes out the back to me to set on the ground, I told him to please tell me when a really heavy one was on it's way so I could make sure I was prepared...he forgot, sent 3 quickly, gave them too much gusto and it flew off the back and onto my foot. The one was about 50lbs and now my toe is buddied up and black and blue. Another grand moment was when he told me to sheet my stuff on the steps while he worked off the back, but he forgot what he said and came out the side like a bull with the dolly and smacked me in the face/chin with in. He felt so bad for about 10 minutes, but it didn't really stop him from being so unsafe with his methods.

This guy is so close to retirement he can smell it, because he tells me every other moment that he isn't telling me how many stops we have left. I went from really enjoying working with him to being really uncomfortable. He told me that last year in the first 2 weeks 3 people quit on him, and now I know why. I won't quit though, because that isn't my way.

There are 30 or 40 fast food places, but he's so worked up on the count that we just don't have time. After today and one other major thing that is happening I have to figure out what to do. As much as all of the safety stuff, I'm really enjoy this job and working with people. All my jobs have been behind a desk, so I like the physical labor, and don't mind working in the elements (minutes the heat, but it's winter). I'm not doing this for the money, so hours don't really matter.
gingerkat,

Yes, you should be concerned.

Helpers in my area are getting $8.50. Keep this in mind when you put your life, limbs and future health and quality of life in jeopardy.

Stressing speed and not safety methods is wrong.

Your driver sounds like a bad example and should reprimanded but don't expect much support if you report him.

Not following safe work methods is like playing "Russian Roulette" with your life, limbs and future heatlh and quality of life.

This is part of the unsafe culture that exists in UPS.

Last peak a UPS helper was severely mangled out west.

Check out the following thread and link for information about it and the response and practices of UPS that are being investigated.

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/investigative-report.346851/

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/ups-crash-exposes-dangers-efficiency-obsession/nSnrJ/

I encourage you and everyone to view the very graphic accident photos available.

Do you want this to be you this year?

Be well my brothers and sister and remember; Safety with Integrity not against him.

Sincerely,
I

gingerkat

Again, thanks everyone that took the time to respond, even the crappy ones. I think I'm just going to quit as it's not worth it. Not because the work, but because of him. Today I told him that "excuse me" worked better than his hand on my ass, and for that I got to wait for him in the rain. I have a sneaky suspicion that he was doing that on purpose. So if I stand up for myself I get more work and if I go along with him, I might get seriously hurt. Can't win.

This guy really doesn't care about his work, he just wants to go home. At 4:45 he had 22 stops left, but left them for Monday because he wanted to go. I know for a fact I'm not suppose to touch high value stuff, but I called to him and told him to come in, but he didn't want to and said I could handle it. So, I did as he said, signed off 2 copies on $22,000 and brought it to the truck. I'm sure I'm the one that is going to be in trouble, but what else could I do? After that I said nothing and he looked at me with smile and said "oh, so now you're going to act like a sensitive silly woman?" Followed by, "you do really good and you shouldn't get down on yourself". That's like kicking a dog and then telling him he's a good dog.

And for those of you thinking it's a women's issue, that's insulting. I haven't complained to him about the work, not once. I don't ask for any special privileges, only asking to go to the bathroom once today. I don't plan on saying anything to anyone at all, so his livelihood is safe. I guess that is how they play it in a man's work world.

UPSGUY72

Yeah, maybe in your world. It NEVER fails, clowns like you are always the ones who get hurt or get in accidents. If you separate the rules from the real world, then you are going too fast, and/or doing it all wrong. I can't count how many people I've worked with over the years who got hurt, or in an accident, then tell management, "I wasn't following the methods because I felt rushed, or under pressure to get done." There is no help for workers in that category. Ask any steward here. friend$cking up because you didn't follow the methods is hard for any steward to defend.

You sound like you're scared to stand up for yourself.

And the OP's driver sounds like a real candied-ass tool.

I'm just telling it as it is..... You and I know the truth safety only comes into play when someone gets hurt or in an accident.

I'm not scared to stand up for myself I have not problem tell my SUPs what I'm thinking or that things need to change. But I also not going to drag my feet just to stick it to them. I do a fairs day work and I get a fairs day pay. What you and I considers a Fair days work if obviously not the same.....

Justaname

Again, thanks everyone that took the time to respond, even the crappy ones. I think I'm just going to quit as it's not worth it. Not because the work, but because of him. Today I told him that "excuse me" worked better than his hand on my ass, and for that I got to wait for him in the rain. I have a sneaky suspicion that he was doing that on purpose. So if I stand up for myself I get more work and if I go along with him, I might get seriously hurt. Can't win.

This guy really doesn't care about his work, he just wants to go home. At 4:45 he had 22 stops left, but left them for Monday because he wanted to go. I know for a fact I'm not suppose to touch high value stuff, but I called to him and told him to come in, but he didn't want to and said I could handle it. So, I did as he said, signed off 2 copies on $22,000 and brought it to the truck. I'm sure I'm the one that is going to be in trouble, but what else could I do? After that I said nothing and he looked at me with smile and said "oh, so now you're going to act like a sensitive silly woman?" Followed by, "you do really good and you shouldn't get down on yourself". That's like kicking a dog and then telling him he's a good dog.

And for those of you thinking it's a women's issue, that's insulting. I haven't complained to him about the work, not once. I don't ask for any special privileges, only asking to go to the bathroom once today. I don't plan on saying anything to anyone at all, so his livelihood is safe. I guess that is how they play it in a man's work world.
At my center we have 2 women working. Both are treated with lots of respect in which they deserve it. Both work just as hard as any guy. Unfortunately you got stuck with a selfish prick and those kind of people are in all companies. If you decide to leave I could understand why though.

gingerkat

At 4:45 he had stops left and just decided to leave the until Monday?!?!? Not likely something don't add up here
I agree, I asked him about that and he said that he was taking his lunch, plus his breaks and then give them to another driver to do, so he could leave. Maybe I'll a take a picture next time if that happens again, since I do have the other bulkhead key. Who gives their helper a key? Maybe I am trustworthy or he is untrustworthy

edited to add: those last stops were residential stops. He had to run the next day air relay, but I don't know why they don't make him do the OT to get those packages out. They send a van I think or another guy who wants the OT.

gingerkat

Wow, driver must have Super Seniority
I don't know how the seniority works, but he's about 3 years away from full retirement. Today we had one van come to us and get stuff and one package car met us as well. You should hear him scream at his supervisors when they want him to do more. That is the only time he asks me to be safe is when they come out to us. Go figure.

OptimusPrime

Wish I had you as a helper. I got a fat African guy that can barely walk. Even though I'm getting done by 330 all week with an hour lunch, I did 228, 263, 272, 248, and 128 today. Lol. But after I get done my stuff I have to go help people. And there jamming it all in a p500.

LOLOLOLOL. I included that many for a reason. Getting done by 3:30 with an hour lunch. Apparently their is some sort of Kinder UPS, and the rest of us work for Big Boy UPS.