Salary Compare Contrast

Maui

You seem like you’re a good, fair manager. I’m sure your couriers like working for you. Your way of thinking worked for many years as FedEx was paying a decent wage and had great benefits. Couriers loved being a part of the team and had no problem working longer to ensure all customers were taken care of. Problem is, the wage is crappy now in many area and the benefits suck. FedEx was previously able to “buy” the loyalty of most couriers with “industry leading pay and benefits”. That is ancient history. FedEx is asking for loyalty they’re not willing to pay for anymore. You will not see the caliber of commitment now that you are used to seeing from people. Not gonna happen, no matter how much people are threatened. If anything, it will cause them to rebel. The sooner the people at the top realize that the better off everyone will be.
I appreciate the sentiment. I actually agree with most of this. The pay needs to improve quickly. That hasn't been how FedEx operates though. It's also very likely that if widespread pay actions happen it will likely target starting wages to get people in the door. Like starting at step 3,4, or 5. It's widely believed the top of range is a competitive rate. My personal opinion is that it should be about 10% higher for station ops employees and handlers should be brought closer to C1 top out rather than below $20.

All this can be true and I still think it's inappropriate to just decide not to complete a route. In most jobs if someone just decided to leave without wrapping up their work it would be a problem. That's even true of shift work - you handoff the work and make sure it's ready for the next person. I understand the sentiment and the way I manage requires some trust and honesty from everyone. I think even if one is topped out or pay is raised you should expect to work close to your schedule most days. Unless one is a masochist managers don't like forcing people to stay late - it's just that occasionally it's part of the job.

Aquaman

I appreciate the sentiment. I actually agree with most of this. The pay needs to improve quickly. That hasn't been how FedEx operates though. It's also very likely that if widespread pay actions happen it will likely target starting wages to get people in the door. Like starting at step 3,4, or 5. It's widely believed the top of range is a competitive rate. My personal opinion is that it should be about 10% higher for station ops employees and handlers should be brought closer to C1 top out rather than below $20.

All this can be true and I still think it's inappropriate to just decide not to complete a route. In most jobs if someone just decided to leave without wrapping up their work it would be a problem. That's even true of shift work - you handoff the work and make sure it's ready for the next person. I understand the sentiment and the way I manage requires some trust and honesty from everyone. I think even if one is topped out or pay is raised you should expect to work close to your schedule most days. Unless one is a masochist managers don't like forcing people to stay late - it's just that occasionally it's part of the job.
If it was occasionally part of the job it wouldn’t be an issue. A lot of drivers are dealing with managers that don’t want to do hiring. That can’t hire. And it’s causing a lot of employees to work WAY passed their end time every single day.

DeliveryException

It's also very likely that if widespread pay actions happen it will likely target starting wages to get people in the door. Like starting at step 3,4, or 5.

Starting new employees at step 5 would be a bit of a slap in the face to those that have been here for a while.
I am at 14.5 years and just got to step 6 this past increase. There would be 10-year+ employees making less than a new hire.

Maui

Starting new employees at step 5 would be a bit of a slap in the face to those that have been here for a while.
I am at 14.5 years and just got to step 6 this past increase. There would be 10-year+ employees making less than a new hire.
I know. They would move everyone below that to whatever the starting pay was. That would mean that some 5 year employees would get a nice raise, but I doubt most would feel good about it if some terrible new hire was making the same as them.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
FedEx was previously able to “buy” the loyalty of most couriers with “industry leading pay and benefits”.
I have never seen this phrase on any FedEx document and have never heard it uttered by any FedEx employee at any level.

The first time I ever heard or saw it was here, used by MF, who repeated it over and over until people believed that it was really a thing.

Maui

If it was occasionally part of the job it wouldn’t be an issue. A lot of drivers are dealing with managers that don’t want to do hiring. That can’t hire. And it’s causing a lot of employees to work WAY passed their end time every single day.
I can understand if it feels relentless like that. Many Seniors run lean and now it's come to really bite the stations in the rear. I prefer to be slightly overstaffed. Especially with COVID taking people out of work for weeks at a time. Even with tight hiring you can survive the ebbs and flows much better when the majority of your people are in the 37-42 hour range for FT. I also like to have OT available for those that like/need more hours.

In that instance I'd involve the MD at least and have significant recruitment. I'd have daily calls trying to get more people hired and if what we tried wasn't working I'd ask for additional help in hiring and incentives as well as help from the district or region.

vantexan

The 8 hour day is definitely a draw. Look at the number of former UPS drivers who walked away from UPS and the great pay and benefits they got there, to work at FedEx. They obviously didn’t do it for the money. They did it so they could have a family life. They wanted to have dinner with their family and tuck their kids into bed, to be able to go to their kids’ school events. I have never heard a UPS driver complain about their pay (except drivers in progression), only the lack of family time. Oh, and the toxic management/hourly relationship.
But are there a lot of UPS guys doing that these days? They know now it'll take forever to get up to better pay and the benefits won't take care of their families or give them a decent retirement. They put in long days but generally they know when they're going to start every day. They have to know they can take much better care of their families working at UPS.

Aquaman

But are there a lot of UPS guys doing that these days? They know now it'll take forever to get up to better pay and the benefits won't take care of their families or give them a decent retirement. They put in long days but generally they know when they're going to start every day. They have to know they can take much better care of their families working at UPS.
Nope. Unlike Express UPS doesn’t have a Ground & Freight operation threatening their Express operation. This place feels like a breeding ground for bad ideas right now. And the future honestly seems like one big question mark. More so than ever. You’d have to be a fool to jump from UPS to Express right now. We’re currently an airline trying to figure out how to truck freight without getting in trouble.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I have never seen this phrase on any FedEx document and have never heard it uttered by any FedEx employee at any level.

The first time I ever heard or saw it was here, used by MF, who repeated it over and over until people believed that it was really a thing.
I‘ve seen it at FedEx or in article, but I can’t remember where.

Serf

I know 3 guys on my belt that are Overtime hoes. They need the money first off. But also don’t know what to do with themselves when they aren’t working. As for me if I could work 35-37.5 hrs forever, I’d happily take it.

NC man

Did you compose this article, Dano?

Paid vacation,401k,health ins. This writer acts like Fed is only company in America that does this.what a joke,and our ins got worse year after year. Fly standby on a major airline,good luck with that especially if family of four.prepare to spend the night in the airport.

AB831

10 year Courier here. Base salary is 24.xx. With overtime (now especially due to labor shortage) I gross 59,000.
With Medical, Dental, 401k, & living in the Tri- State Area my take home pay is 800$ a week.
My mortgage and taxes are 1500, car and insurance 420, utilities 200, grocery bill for the month average 500 including beer/wine. Gas about 130. Misc spending about 200. So all in all about 36,000 of the 40,000 gets allocated for give or take.
As long as I’m at fedex from before sunrise to sundown. Side note; I have. Wife and kids. Wife has a job, these are just my numbers.
Compare & Contrast.
They’re robbing you blind.

Way up

$96,600 last year. Once I start drawing a pension in a few years, that will increase. Everyday was Saturday for me. No mortgage, never had a car note. Spend about $200 a month on weed, hate to think how much I spend on golf and replacement clubs. My biggest monthly expense is $350 for cells, internet and Directv. Travel constantly and play with classic cars, but the cars have a positive return at times. Still was able to save a few $ even though that wasn't my plan. Life is good.
You’re a ups driver? Feeder or package?

Way up

$96,600 last year. Once I start drawing a pension in a few years, that will increase. Everyday was Saturday for me. No mortgage, never had a car note. Spend about $200 a month on weed, hate to think how much I spend on golf and replacement clubs. My biggest monthly expense is $350 for cells, internet and Directv. Travel constantly and play with classic cars, but the cars have a positive return at times. Still was able to save a few $ even though that wasn't my plan. Life is good.
You smoke weed as a driver?