Salary Compare Contrast

Maui

I've worked for plenty of managers who believe once the freight is out the door, it's no longer their problem. If I'm scheduled 830-5, I'm working 830-5. If I'm sent out over stop count, that's on the manager.

Why should I be responsible for undelivered freight when I let management know I'm over stop count before I leave and they shrug their shoulders and say they don't have anyone to help?

What's the point of a schedule if only one party is required to follow it?
FedEx just isn’t a set schedule kind of job in operations to me. Whether I was a handler, courier, or management the customers determined that. I’d prefer some schedule flexibility so that I could leave early for appointments or events that would have happened during my normal work day.

No reason the schedule couldn’t be changed to 0830-1900. I’d rather communicate and in the US it’s a reasonable expectation to complete some additional time on occasion to meet fluctuating demand.

MAKAVELI

I think you’re in CO. One of the stations there is the worst performing station in the Mid-West and probably the country. I would have hired Wave 2 as FT and they’d be expected to deliver all their stops too. Anything less is frankly ridiculous.

Ongoing 10-12 hour days aren’t sustainable. There has to be plan. Of course it’s hard when you can’t hire, but I personally couldn’t support 5x8 working 11-12 5 days and then having 4x10 work the same, but with an additional day off over everyone else. There are tools available to make it better. Unfortunately when we use them to manage through it prevents some of the pay actions that should happen.
I know you're smarter than that to use the the current situation as an excuse for preventing pay actions that should happen. The company spends $billions every year on capital expenditures. They can afford to give us the raises we deserve every year.

Aquaman

FedEx just isn’t a set schedule kind of job in operations to me. Whether I was a handler, courier, or management the customers determined that. I’d prefer some schedule flexibility so that I could leave early for appointments or events that would have happened during my normal work day.

No reason the schedule couldn’t be changed to 0830-1900. I’d rather communicate and in the US it’s a reasonable expectation to complete some additional time on occasion to meet fluctuating demand.
Ever notice how the most flexibility is demanded from the day side? Imagine telling a 2nd shift pickup driver that starts at 1400, that he has to be able to come in at 10am if needed. Good luck with that. But if a morning driver has to leave, not early, but ON TIME,… well then he’s a lazy POS.

Maui

I know you're smarter than that to use the the current situation as an excuse for preventing pay actions that should happen. The company spends $billions every year on capital expenditures. They can afford to give us the raises we deserve every year.
Maybe I didn't say it well, but what I meant is that the company will not improve pay unless absolutely necessary. If couriers and managers bust ass and get it done in terrible circumstances, then you won't see pay improved in that market. You have to be really terrible and even then finance and executives will exhaust every other option before adjusting pay.

If your location isn't failing catastrophically for an extended period or putting a huge account at risk you aren't getting more pay. It's a perverse way of doing business.

Maui

Ever notice how the most flexibility is demanded from the day side? Imagine telling a 2nd shift pickup driver that starts at 1400, that he has to be able to come in at 10am if needed. Good luck with that. But if a morning driver has to leave, not early, but ON TIME,… well then he’s a lazy POS.
I would 100% have that 1400 starter come in at 1200 if needed. 1100 or 1200 RESPONSE drivers would be in that 0900 or 1000 start.

MAKAVELI

Maybe I didn't say it well, but what I meant is that the company will not improve pay unless absolutely necessary. If couriers and managers bust ass and get it done in terrible circumstances, then you won't see pay improved in that market. You have to be really terrible and even then finance and executives will exhaust every other option before adjusting pay.

If your location isn't failing catastrophically for an extended period or putting a huge account at risk you aren't getting more pay. It's a perverse way of doing business.
It definitely is a perverse way of doing business. That's why the company is failing so bad with service right now.

Aquaman

I would 100% have that 1400 starter come in at 1200 if needed. 1100 or 1200 RESPONSE drivers would be in that 0900 or 1000 start.
You can’t expect that from people dude lol. People aren’t just sitting at home in their FedEx uniforms waiting to be called in. People use their time outside of work. Like I said, the flexibility managers expect is ridiculous lol. This job doesn’t pay $ like that.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You can’t expect that from people dude lol. People aren’t just sitting at home in their FedEx uniforms waiting to be called in. People use their time outside of work. Like I said, the flexibility managers expect is ridiculous lol. This job doesn’t pay $ like that.
Amazing how irrational people are once they become managers. Is it the Memphis training that leads to their brain damage?

Aquaman

Amazing how irrational people are once they become managers. Is it the Memphis training that leads to their brain damage?
Most managers just feel above their workgroup. They get that company cell phone & office and think they now control your life. They fail to realize this company is not going to be able to pay FedEx money with UPS hours lol.

dezguy

Not my problem. If the schedule says 9-530, I'm working 9-530. It's not my problem Jimmy, Debbie and Hal called in. It's not my problem the flight was late. It's not my problem Billy over on route 296 got blown out with stops, now can't make pick ups.

If they want always on call employees, hire people and put it in their offer letter, that they don't have a set end time and then don't have an end time for them on the schedule. Let's see how many people sign up for that.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Not my problem. If the schedule says 9-530, I'm working 9-530. It's not my problem Jimmy, Debbie and Hal called in. It's not my problem the flight was late. It's not my problem Billy over on route 296 got blown out with stops, now can't make pick ups.

If they want always on call employees, hire people and put it in their offer letter, that they don't have a set end time and then don't have an end time for them on the schedule. Let's see how many people sign up for that.
Pay isn’t the only reason Fedex regards a union as anathema. Defining and restricting how an employee is utilized would require competent management, and that rarely exists at FedEx.

Working4the1%

Man my station is in for a RAISE !!!!! Oh yeah

Aquaman

That’s exactly how managers views drivers. Always on call. There are employees that literally can never stay. I work with a woman that has a severely disabled son and can’t just potentially stay 2-3 hours late every day. She works her 8 hours, works her 40… go tell that woman she’s lazy because you expect her to deliver it all no matter how long it takes. It’s NOT THAT KIND OF JOB. You want me for 10 hours, schedule me for 10 hours & give me another off day. Otherwise freight is coming back to the building. Every. Single. Day.

Maui

I get this from your perspective. However, it's management's job to run the operation. Of course no one expects that same day, but there's planning and it would include bringing PM in sooner if necessary. There are so many options.

I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US it might be your problem. You can surely be held to cover pups or complete the route.
That’s exactly how managers views drivers. Always on call. There are employees that literally can never stay. I work with a woman that has a severely disabled son and can’t just potentially stay 2-3 hours late every day. She works her 8 hours, works her 40… go tell that woman she’s lazy because you expect her to deliver it all no matter how long it takes. It’s NOT THAT KIND OF JOB. You want me for 10 hours, schedule me for 10 hours & give me another off day. Otherwise freight is coming back to the building. Every. Single. Day.
Nah. That's your impression. It might even be the managers you know. It isn't representative of 7000 managers in Express. In fact, managers have some of these same issues. This example has protected leave.

This whole convo is wild to me. Planning can get close to the scheduled hours 99% of the time, but there will be times a shorter or longer day happens. 10 hours =/= an additional day off. It equals 2 hours at 1.5X pay. Y'all act petulant on here (and maybe IRL) when all that needs to happen is communication and honesty. You should expect it from management and should give it yourself. You're making this all more dramatic than necessary.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I get this from your perspective. However, it's management's job to run the operation. Of course no one expects that same day, but there's planning and it would include bringing PM in sooner if necessary. There are so many options.

I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US it might be your problem. You can surely be held to cover pups or complete the route.

Nah. That's your impression. It might even be the managers you know. It isn't representative of 7000 managers in Express. In fact, managers have some of these same issues. This example has protected leave.

This whole convo is wild to me. Planning can get close to the scheduled hours 99% of the time, but there will be times a shorter or longer day happens. 10 hours =/= an additional day off. It equals 2 hours at 1.5X pay. Y'all act petulant on here (and maybe IRL) when all that needs to happen is communication and honesty. You should expect it from management and should give it yourself. You're making this all more dramatic than necessary.
And you're trying to make YOUR problem OUR problem. If flexibility is the necessity, don't hire couriers, hire swings, and pay them all the extra couple of bucks an hour. That's the thinking outside the box that you get paid for.

Maui

And you're trying to make YOUR problem OUR problem. If flexibility is the necessity, don't hire couriers, hire swings, and pay them all the extra couple of bucks an hour. That's the thinking outside the box that you get paid for.
None of this is my problem. That's not my job. Y'all can do whatever. I'm just saying that if one wants shift work, then courier ain't the right job for you. I don't care I just think this is ridiculous.

Aquaman

None of this is my problem. That's not my job. Y'all can do whatever. I'm just saying that if one wants shift work, then courier ain't the right job for you. I don't care I just think this is ridiculous.
How many jobs do you know of where you stay until all the work is done. Literally all of it. Nothing is left for the next day. Everyone’s desk is completely clean… Very few jobs. It’s the MANAGERS job to communicate to the engineers and make sure these 8 hour routes have 8 hours of work. If there are 8 hour routes with 11 hours of work, well then the manager has some hiring/restructuring to do. The “well this place is just a mess, sorry” excuse isn’t gonna cut it much longer with these drivers who don’t want the hours.

Last edited: